b16 vs b18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18b !

my friend has a b16a with the tranny and my other friend has a b18a with the tranny it came with and friend with b18a pulls on him all day long.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD+Nov 18 2003, 10:38 PM-->
@Nov 18 2003, 10:34 AM
buy the B16 if you have the money for it, for the wiring all you have to do is pull the JDM harness off of it and put the harness from your motor on to it. cut the vtec and knock sensor wires out of the JDM harness and wrap them to your old harness and you are good to go
this will give you higher rev limit, better gearing, and the option to have a stock LSD.... very good thing to have for daily driving or road course/auto-x

I did all the wiring on my engine and had my mechanic install it for $400... had to buy new axles though, but that could happen with any swap you get

Don't you have to add the wires (for vtec and knock sensor) on the car side of the harness too? The part of the harness that runs from the plug to the ecu. You may have not had to because you might have a 92 civic or an ex with both to my understanding are already pre-wired for vtec. I could be wrong...someone help me out there.

yep, I was thinking you had a vx which has vtec (i think)

anyway, it still isn't very hard to run a few wires through the firewall to the ecu. it took me about 10 minutes and a good coat hanger and it was done.

so don't let the wiring phase you, it's pretty easy. plus you will get to learn more about your motor by rewiring it

good luck whatever you do

Originally posted by highperboi@Nov 21 2003, 07:22 PM
b18b !

my friend has a b16a with the tranny and my other friend has a b18a with the tranny it came with and friend with b18a pulls on him all day long.

Than there are a couple of things going on, 1. your friend with the B16 can't drive with a shit, 2. the B16 is al fucked up. Sorry, but it is FACT that the B16 in the same car with the same driver is going to beat the B18A, sorry but true. I have raced higher torque cars with the higher Hp than a B18A (2004 cavalier 140 HP @ 5,600 rpm; 150 ft lb approx. 2600lbs) and handed them there ass, and a neon which has the same Hp, but WAY more torque than my 111lbs, and only lost by a car or so.

Here's a little food for thought for the "a B18A/B is better than a B16" people...

And physics dictates that an engine putting out 160HP absolutely will provide more forward thrust than a 150HP engine, regardless of what crank torque the two engines have, assuming similar transmission efficiency and optimal gearing for both cars. This is plain high school physics. Unless someone can prove that the laws of thermodynamics and Newtonian physics are false, there is no way around this fact.

Originally posted by highperboi@Nov 22 2003, 04:25 AM
yeah they arnt the same cars one is a cx and one is a si.

Well, then in that case, I smoke the shit out of tractor trailers ALL DAY LONG, fo' shizzy yO!!!, they can't even see me yO. If you're going to give someone advice on what to buy, you should lay the whole story out, not just leaving out little details like, a way light car, beating a heavy car, as that is a VERY important factory when building a Honda that use HP and torque numbers that the racing world pretty much laughs at. Our advantage is POWER to WEIGHT, so yea, no shit a small light cx with a B18A (assuming that is the car with the B18) smokes a Si (what Si? 99-00, 92-95, or earlier).

If both cars weight as close, refer to my previous statement, sorry, but facts, are facts.

ok i have the exact same car as you. right at this very moment my car is undergoing the d16z6 head swap. i didn't have the money for a full motor swap YET. my friend just put a b18a in his crx and i won't necessarily be able to pull him, but i bet i can hang pretty good with him. (depends on if i race him stopped or from a downshift)

but i'm planning on doing the b18b swap which i think is rated at around 140 hp, but the low compression ratio makes for easy boosting.

in the future sometime, i think i'm going to do turbo ls (obd1), but i'm a senior in highschool and have apart time job, with insurance, cell phone, lunch, gas all that other shit to pay for.

so money is tight for me know, but if you have the money go for the b18b, it's not all that expensive though either.

without saying everyone else is wrong, i will now state my own personal oppinion.

i, personally know next to nothing about b18a/b s. but, i do have b16, im very very pleased with it. maybe the torque isnt that great, but i feel it makes up for it.

i cant see myself going back to non-vtec. thats just me.

it all depends on application though, like everyone says the ls motors are great for boosting. so it just depends what youre plans are for the motor and the car.

as for downtime, when doing it yourself, expect the unexpected. your first time around there always gonna be something that youre thinking 'why didnt anyone tell me this' but even so. a week < assuming you work on it every day > should be plenty of time.

wiring, its wiring, not rocket science. the more you do the better youll feel about it when its done.

Well , I have a 93 CX hatch and a 96 B18B1 and I love it it feels VERY good I used a 7.5lb flywheel, a Exceedy clutch and a chiped ECU, and simple bolt ons Intake, ehaust Thats all.. other than that its bone stock (for now) and it was easy and fun I drive my car every day and I love it. The tranny IS NOT that bad I have driven other hatches with B16 and GSR trannys and they dont feel that much differnt and as somone said I still have R's left on the tac @ 75-80 the other trannys are kinda low geared for the highway...But it all depends on what you like. But "I like MY car" ! :spin:

P.S. I pulled a 15.2@89mph and the car weighed in at 2320 with me in it. (not bad for the little non V-tec) :p

I have a 95 Civic DX coupe with a B18B and I must say its not the fastest but for my current situation it is more than I could have dreamed for before doing the swap. I have a stock tranny and other than simple bolt ons It is bone stock. I find the car to be very peppy and all around a fun little honda to drive!

Its cheap and as a student I find that it is very cost effective with alot of options as more money comes my way!

Matt

P.S. I ran a 15.9 at the track, not bad =p

Originally posted by hondogg@Nov 23 2003, 08:20 PM
Well , I have a 93 CX hatch and a 96 B18B1 and I love it it feels VERY good I used a 7.5lb flywheel, a Exceedy clutch and a chiped ECU, and simple bolt ons Intake, ehaust Thats all.. other than that its bone stock (for now) and it was easy and fun I drive my car every day and I love it. The tranny IS NOT that bad I have driven other hatches with B16 and GSR trannys and they dont feel that much differnt and as somone said I still have R's left on the tac @ 75-80 the other trannys are kinda low geared for the highway...But it all depends on what you like. But "I like MY car" ! :spin:

P.S. I pulled a 15.2@89mph and the car weighed in at 2320 with me in it. (not bad for the little non V-tec) :p

Hey, whoa back from the dead I guess. Thanks for the info guys

You said you drove a hatch with an b18b with gsr tranny and couldn't tell a difference? What year/model hatch was it?

First off I have a 94 ls its not that fast compared to a b16 but its still quick and no it has nothing what so ever on a b16 my boy has one and he ate me for breakfast lunch and dinner and yes I can drive. I drove in his car which is a b16a1 and it sat me the hell back in my seat and then I drove mine there is no comparison. If you want a turbo or ls/vtec get a b18b if you want somthing fast right from the start get b16 its simple. I have a b18b so no im not hating im just stating facts the b16 no matter how you look at it no matter what car its in is faster if its jdm,usdm has weaker vtec. But for the simplicity go for b18b, I love my car.

This thread is a little old, let him get what he wants to get, he'll only be slower than you if you have a B18 DOHC VTEC.

scatter.gif

LOL, back from the dead again aye. I guess i'll give an update.
Well, I quit my shitty ass job and I don't need my car as much as i did.
I guess i'm going to start looking for obd-1 b18c1's locally. If I can't find a really good deal locally I'll just go with a b18b1 locally.

:eek:t: Actually BTW, if anyone knows of any good deals on a b18c1 in the New England area let me know.

Once again thanks for all the help. :nod:

Originally posted by B18C1civic96@Dec 20 2003, 03:24 PM
don't get a b18b if u cant get the b18c1 get the si ; Ls sucks ass

how does LS suck ass? please explain to me
prove urself...

LS doest not suck and it is as strong and powerfull as any Vtec engine

Originally posted by highlife+Dec 20 2003, 03:50 PM-->
B18C1civic96
@Dec 20 2003, 03:24 PM
don't get a b18b if u cant get the b18c1 get the si  ; Ls sucks ass

how does LS suck ass? please explain to me
prove urself...