B16 Vs B18ls

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Mar 2 2003, 06:52 PM
Ok...answer me this. Drop a STOCK H22 into a 92-95 civic hatchback, and drop a B18 spec R into the same car, and tell me which one would win in a drag race.....completely stock. I never said anything about proffessional drag racing, because i know a b series will hold more hp than an h, but for street h is better. :D

ok first of all, i've seen multiple times a STOCK Type R motor and a stock h22 civic go at it, and guess what the type r won by 1-2 car lengths... not a whole lot but still won none the less...

Also, the price of an ITR motor surpasses the amount it would take to put in an H22, even with all the extra bullshit. I know most people still think B series is god, but H22 is a great street engine.

Ps. i know of a guy that has a 9 second turbo H22 civic, and is his daily driver. Has a lot of mods, but i thought that was very nice.

yes it does surpass the price, but that wasnt the point... and no i dont think the b series is God but i do believe it is a GREAT PLACE TO START... and if you think the H series is better for street, your sadly mistaken

oh and about your PS... a 9 second daily driven car?!?!?!? are you fuckin insane?!?!? if there was a nine second DAILY DRIVER... do you know how many magazines he would be in... how well renowned he would be!!!! it was hard enough for somebody to keep and maintain a 10 second daily driven car.... maintenance is a bitch on a 10 second car, believe me... and if "your friend with the 9 second hatch" has something to say to me about his "9 second ride" have him call me cause i dont believe anything about a nine second daily driver

2LitreEg.......i know its not really proof, but he made me believe. He posts on H22a.org and knows his shit so i think its very possible.

9sech22civic

Posted: 2002-10-31 20:43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok for some reason i got a brain fart what was your question again about my turbo importracereg? here's a guick set up of my beast. 60-1 with t4 housing, spearco air to water intercooler, stock distributor, crane hi6 ignition, msd injectors, 340 lph in tank pump, fully built motor, accord tranny, clutchmasters twin disk clutch, quaife limited slip, speedpro engine management with wide band o2 sensor, y pipe setup on the down pipe,(one side goes to the ground in front of the motor and capped when i'm daily driving, and uncapped when im dragging, and the other side flows down my 3 inch trd exhaust. venom manifold, pwr race radiator and fal fan.

9sech22civic

Posted: 2002-11-02 12:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
530whp at 14 pounds, and over 700 at 24 pounds of boost, 40 hours on the dyno to achieve this power. i have a 94 civic hatchback vx.

9sech22civic

Posted: 2002-11-04 10:01
my motor is fully built, LA ductile iron sleeves, forged pauter rods, arias 9:1 pistons, block has been decked, since prelude cranks are already forged, i had it micro polished, inline pro bearings, and oil pump, inline water pump, pro gaskets, as for head work: crower springs and retainers, valves are radius cut, exhaust are back cut.stock cams with str cam gears. as for handling the power to the ground, accord tranny, twin disk clutch, quaife lsd, custom axels, crv spindles, 16x8 te-37, roll cage, strut tower, traction bars, 800 pound drag springs, and some adjustables. was going to add a fiberglass front, but ohh what the hell, let's keep it streetable, but i wanna add a removable wheely bar to run better consistant 9's. this all took me 2 1/2 years to achieve, but soo worth it.

hey T0mMuNi$m, sorry man but i STILL DONT BELIEVE

i asked a few of my friend who work for Borla, Vortech and Turbonetics... as well as friends from RS Machining and NONE OF THEM believe that a 9 second DAILY DRIVEN CAR exists as of today

hey thats koo he knows his stuff, but who's to say he really owns a car like that? did he post pictures? if so then how do we know its his?!?!

i mean honestly think about it, the 8 second barrier was barely broken i believe either last season or the season before... ALMOST EVERYONE knew about that... When jojo broke the ten second barrier as a daily driven civic [when he was still on team kosoku] everyone heard about the civic that ran a 10.46 on slicks with stock windows... if your "friend" was to break a 9 second daily driven pass... dont you think the mag's or other professional teams would know about it? one more example, the turbonetics celica as well as the venom tundra... when the celica broke 200MPH, and when grant downing busted a 6.95 going down the quarter... everyone and their mama heard about it...

personally i dont believe your buddy or whoever he is. sorry

Originally posted by beau_safken+Mar 2 2003, 02:46 AM-->
ventolin5
@Mar 2 2003, 01:55 AM
I would go with the b16 also.

My sohc d16z6 has put down two tegs with ls motors both with more and better mods than my car has.

Personaly the only use i would have for a ls engine is to make an ls/vtec
other than that honestly i would rather have my d16z6 than an ls, and i dont like my d16z6.

Somehow that really doesn't sit well for me. A d16z6 with some mods might be able to touch an LS swapped civic, but a stock integra should still be able to beat you. I'm thinking that bad driving is the culprit, not your d16z6. LS/VTEC has some reliability issues if not built right the first time. As long as you were to build it right you shouldn't have those issues. I'm guessing that Ventolin5 only likes the d16z6 due to the big VTEC symbol on the engine. If you want you could get an LS swap and use a paint marker to stencil in a VTEC symbol and I think that would add an easy 20+ horsepower...

Dude on a sohc vtec is just about unnoticable to me, so blow me.

The only point i was tryin to make is that yes i beat a few ls tegs.
Honestly, when i did race the first one i totaly thought that i was gonna get smoked, but i did it for fun anyways and ended up winning. So if my little weak engine (vtec or not) beat them than why are they so great?

And yes if you read what i wrote i said that " i dont like my d16z6"

all you guys need to do is go to the track and ask around i am sure you will find some one with a LS and a b16 get the times from thim and wow now you know and if one of thim is realy fat or some thing take off .2 seconds or some thing. and by the way the Trany is what makes the car worth any thing you could have a 1000 HP car and go no ware becouse the gearing is all messed up. realy HP means nothing if you dont have the right trany to go with it.

I agree 2litreeg, its very hard to believe, but i gave him the benefit of the doubt. I would say maybe he has an 11 sec car or something. But, when did i say he was my friend??? :lol:

I dont know how we got on the h series thing but dude, go away. I would never put that goliath in my rex. I like the thought of turning seeing how i do drive off the quarter. An h in the rex would be gross. Its not suited for any car but the prelude and accord if you want to actualy drive it to work and shit. please dont post any more of this h shit on here, the thread was started for a sane and realistic discussion as to what motor should go in my crx for 0-80 or so daily driver races. As to that second post of mine, anyone care to comment? Without building the engine, which would you all suggest for boost and why? thanks
peace

tq is what get you off the line... hp wins the race....stock ls b18...? if you think you can beat a stock b16a2.... lets race for money.. $5000.00

ok, i've stayed out of this for along time now... but i think its time to step in and set somethings straight.

First lets talk cost. b16 sir2= 2500, b18b = 1500
myabe my prices are a little high- but i did them on both. this is considering everything to get it into a 5th gen.

Now, lets make things equal.

swap trannys- give the LS a b16 tranny. minus 500 for the sale of the LS tranny, plus 700 on a b16 tranny. for a total of 200. b18b now = 1700.
head work on the ls. i picked up a complete portflow'ed head, inners/outers/retainers/crower cams for 700 bucks. The LS will now rev to 8200 and make power up top. 1700+700 = 2400. minus the 100 bucks i got for selling my sotck LS head, minus the 50 i got for the stock cams/gears. The 250 we have left goes to chipping the LS ecu to use the revs that we now can. most people like Kenji, etc will chip it for less than that price. shit, maybe add an intake.

so now we have an equal cost, an equal redline, and an equal tranny.

for the same cost, the LS as described above would smoke the ever living shit out of the stock b16 sir2.
And Don't want to hear "yeah well we are talking stock for stock..." well, no were not. I don't know where you come from, but money is a BIG deciding factor to me.
You can't aruge that. I bet the LS dyno's comparable horsepower number to the b16, and the toque is probably 20-30 higher for any given rpm. who wins? i don't think i need to take this any further.

From day one of me being the influence on the LS motor on this site, I have stated that, "It is the BEST CHOICE FOR THE MONEY."
-----------------------------------------
Part 2.
h22 vs ITR

ITR wins hands down. there is no question. It will cost only a few hundred less to have a running h22 in a 5th gen over an ITR motor. The ITR has a much better tranny, is lighter, and dyno's similar power numbers to the h22, but the h22 puts out more torque. So here we go again with the more torque thing. BUT- the only difference here is that we don't have any money left over to get a better tranny (and one doesn't exist on top of it), you don't have an LSD (unless you bought the typeS, and then, your budget is WAY over an ITR) and you are heavier. ITR wins hands down.

Thank you, drive through.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m+Mar 2 2003, 03:02 AM-->
Originally posted by kylemarhx@Feb 24 2003, 10:16 PM
T0mMuNi$m
@Feb 24 2003, 10:02 PM
Just go through the extra work for an h series and no ls or b16 will come close.  :D

you're a moron.

Kyle...dont be a bitch.....ANYONE ON THIS BOARD, tell me that ANY B16 OR B18b civic will come even CLOSE to an H22 civic, PLEASE! Im talking straight drag and stock engines. Dont be a pussy, do the extra work.....i mean hell your doing a swap anyways, so what can touch 200hp, 160 tq, and dont say anything about auto x or the extra work.

alright, i don't have anything against the h22. i think that it's a badass setup in a civic and i don't think that it's as bad as everybody was saying. it's just that the guy asked about a ls vs. b16. your recomendation of a h22 had no place in this thread, it would put him way over his budget and be more than a bitch to swap.

ls into a hatch probably cant even beat a stock gsr... haha... fuck the ls... got VTEC?

Back