B16 with automatic trans into EF CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bionichicken

I really want to make this short. I found a CRX (90 or 91) automatic for sale and am probably going to buy it. Will anyone who knows, answer this.
If I buy a (JDM) dohc b16 automatic (yes I know they made them for the Japanese market), will it fit in the CRX? I think Hasport may know but I just want to research the members of this site. Thank you anyone for a reply post on this.
And, I am not going to go through the hassle of converting it to manual.

i would suggest that you stick with a D-series engine if you want to keep the automatic transmission - the B-series engine with automatic will not fit in the engine bay without cutting and reinforcing the frame rail on the passenger side, as the auto transmission is longer than the manual transmission - the transmission mounts are different on the auto and manual and you would need to modify any type of aftermarket mounts to make it work - the automatic B-series transmission requires the use of a second ECU for the transmission which could be a wiring nightmare

Auto

Thanks for the info...if I want more power I will figure a way to do that...turbo? :)

Thanks for the info...if I want more power I will figure a way to do that...turbo? :)

If you turbo your stock engine and auto tranny I predict that the tranny will blow out before too long. Honda's auto trannies (especially the ones designed for the 4 cylinder motors) tend not to last too long when exposed to much more power then what they were originally designed for.

Honestly, I'd just keep the car the way it is and enjoy the good gas mileage. If you want a go-fast toy then but a shell that's set up for manual and do a swap into that...

Thanks for the info.....I have heard of a trans shop in CA where a auto trans (CRX) was rebuilt with heavy duty clutch pacs and torque converter and was taken to the track and did real well with some high horsepower honda engine. Which engine? I can't recall. I have no intention of that kind of use of the vehicle but it would be nice to have my vehicle with this transmission with some more HP.

Thanks for the info.....I have heard of a trans shop in CA where a auto trans (CRX) was rebuilt with heavy duty clutch pacs and torque converter and was taken to the track and did real well with some high horsepower honda engine. Which engine? I can't recall. I have no intention of that kind of use of the vehicle but it would be nice to have my vehicle with this transmission with some more HP.

Yeah, it can be done. I'm sure it's expensive though, and probably expensive enough to the point where it isn't really practical for a daily-driver type car that you just want to supe up a bit...

Back