b16 wont rev past 3k and dies on idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

theman631

I have a b16a1 in a 1990 civic pw0 and it ran before but I pulled it out because vtec wasn't working. I re-wired some stuff and put it back in. It idles fine when I first start it up but it won't rev past 3k rpm. After it warms up a little, if I hit the gas it revs up (not past 3k) and when it comes back down it dies. I have check the vacuum lines and they seem correct. Any other ideas would be great. I have almost started to rip out my hair! :confused:

The reason I don't think that it could be, is that the car was running for thousands of miles until I pulled it to re-wire the vtec stuff. What are the odds that the distributor would decide to go bad at the same time? :eek:

well that probly your answer you you messed up the wireing lol, but see when the distributor goes bad it will go into safe mode or limp home mode and it wont let you motor go over 3000-3500 rpm

I better not have messed up the wiring :D I will check the distributor. Any other insight would be appreciated also. Thanks ;)

This happened to me too. It's definatly in the dizzy wiring.
It turned out to be a pin that worked it's way lose in the dizzy connector.

Back