b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Im soon to get financial aid and insurance money soon. I was gonna buy a b16 from hmotorsonline.com and drop it in my EJ (civic coupe). The thing is that I want to drop in the Crower stroker kit, and add on either the TMW individual T.B. to it or
the haywardperformance.com individual throttle bodies (TMW is more complete tho), altho im pondering as far as cam profile that i would want (CTR/ITR or crane, etc...) I also have the hookups to have the block honed and resleeved for a $75. you think its a smart investment?

Why get the Stroker kit when you can just get a B18? You wont have to spend the extra couple of grand buying it and then have a machine balance it. Individual throttle bodies need a shitload of tuning, and the gains are minimal for what you are paying, might as well turbo it out and make just as much and more power than ITB's.

Just get a GSR. Much cheaper and you will get just as much power from it in the long run.

sounds like you got a hoard of cashish..My recommendation is to go with teh gsr as a starting point.

b16's just lack the tq and displacement.

i wud do that, but with auto-X sanctioning body only allows me to run motors with same displacement and stock ('95 EX 1.6L, so im considering the B16 with the stroker kit) but the main reason is to maintain the weight balance of the car. Besides if i go turbo, i cant take it to the track auto-X not straight line(too lil time of fun for me) Also thats not including the cams imma drop in. CTR/ITR profile aint enough for me. I already have run computer models and i figure i wud be around 235HP and about 150lbs of tq. I kno the torque is low, but hey this is auto-X but RPMs/HP is wut i need.

besides if you really dont know tuning you wud think individual throttle bodies require a lot of tuning. You ever realize how much HP you get from a milled head and cams??

if you have to stay 1.6 then why did you mention stroker kit in your question, if you can get away with doing that it is still cheaper to go with 84mm sleeves on the b16 to increase displacement to 1.8..

I recommend the jspec ITR tranny if you can get it for the b16, since it has a little taller gears for 4th adn 5th and also that nice 4.7 final drive along with oem lsd which isn't half bad...

sanctioning body is like trying to get smogged in Cali, it has to pass visual inspection. Meaning the block has to be the b16 block. With the mods that I would have to do to the motor I would incur slight weight penalties. In other words no running a GSR motor inside the civic, if I wanted to do that, I would have gotten into Honda Challenge.

if you got that kinda cash get a CTR swap. its got a great tranny, and the deck height is the same as the ITR, so you could take it all the way to 2.0+ liters. and then you'd be making real torque and horespower.

*and the block is stamped B16B*

you could also restamp the bastard but I like the idea of the b16b resleeved out making 1.8 litesr. The deck heigh difference is like 8mm from the 1.6 and 1.8 blocks, so in essence your still making the b16b out to a 1.8..

Hey it wuz just a suggestion. I pondered on the idea, the CTR head is nice, but imma be running high compression 13:0:1 or higher. The resleeving imma get done anyways (I feel safer about the motor). It wuz just a thought, thanx for the insight JDMilan, saturn_boy96, SixtySecondAssassin. I dont wanna drop in some big motor then wonder why i cant turn and my handling has gone away. (known as weight distribution for you street racers).

the differece in weight between a 1.8l and 1.6l vtec blocks is like 10 lbs. only the deck height is different. if you're that concerned about weight leave the d series in there.

ya, there are tons of civic hatches running in honda challenge H1, think their handling has gone to shit? no way.
and if the sanction says 1.6L and you stroke greater than that, you are just cheating. :thumbsdown:

Originally posted by snowboarderguy44@Sep 12 2003, 06:09 PM
Im soon to get financial aid and insurance money soon. I was gonna buy a b16 from hmotorsonline.com and drop it in my EJ (civic coupe). The thing is that I want to drop in the Crower stroker kit, and add on either the TMW individual T.B. to it or
the haywardperformance.com individual throttle bodies (TMW is more complete tho), altho im pondering as far as cam profile that i would want (CTR/ITR or crane, etc...) I also have the hookups to have the block honed and resleeved for a $75. you think its a smart investment?

its TWM not TMW....

www.twminduction.com

there located about 15 miles from my house hehe

funny how this went from an opinionated thread, to a your cheating and blah blah. But thanx to a great coincidence (My neighbor rolled his CRV) im taking his motor and gonna use it (hey the CRV had 21,937 miles on it). Just need to come up on a DOHC head now. With a setup like that, i definately am gonna do the individual T.B. setup, and take look into the CTR tranny like saturn and jdmilan mentioned. I already have a spare P28 Hondata Stage2 ECU so its gonna replace my JUN tuned one I have on my SOHC now. O yea once my swap is done Ill sell the JUN tuned ECU Ill keep you posted on that.

a CRV is DOHC duhh wow you got a badd ass motor in that thing now i could outrun that thing on foot you have like 137 hp and 137 torque should of went with the b16 and used a Spoon stroking kit for less money and better quality if people like you would research more you wouldnt have all of these questions. thanx, Brandon--Sports Issue--

he is talking about adding a vtec head, making a crvtec. He knows what he is talking about he is just asking for some other opinions to get some ideas going.......... jackass :spin:

Originally posted by snowboarderguy44@Sep 17 2003, 07:33 PM
funny how this went from an opinionated thread, to a your cheating and blah blah.

man, i was just pointing out that if it states you have to stay at 1.6L that does not mean you use a 1.6L block and bore/stroke to whatever you want. don't take it so personally man

B16 its coo man, im just stoked about the CRV motor im getting... its just a shame that assclowns "jspecivicsi" talk outta there ass. Shoot imma luv this setup, just cant rev it like a B16 or B18. o well just shift the vtec crossover points and use some higher cams. Too bad the CTR tranny aint good on gas mileage, gotta get an LS tranny for that.

Back