B16A & B20A swaps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sn00za

hey ppl

i have 2 motors a B20A DOHC non-vtec and a B16A
i was wondering if it is posible to put the head of the b16a on the b20a block
if possible
what is required to do this swap???...

sn :sleep: :sleep: za

yes you can put that head on a b20 block. that is called the frankenstien swap(b20 vtec) because of its low end torque. what you need is a gsr or type r tranny, a ecu from a civic si(b16), b series axles, integra shift linkage or civic si 99-00(will both work.), b-series throttle cable, and b16 intake manifold. b20 intake manifold is too high and will not clear under hood. As far as mounts are concerned, the rear mount and transmission side mounts are the same in 1994-2000 Integra’s and in 1994-1997 del Sol VTEC’s. However, the driver’s side mount bracket is sometimes different between these motors so it’s easiest to use the mount that comes with the motor. A B-series transmission mount will also be needed, and its recommended that you get this mount when locating the transmission. good luck man, you will be very happy with this swap. i planning to do this swap also in my 93 civic but instead of b16 head am going with a gsr head. then am turbo charger it. i can't wait.

U asked this stupid fucking question before.

for the last time...

b20A is off the older prelude from 89-91 not from CRV.
U CAN NOT SWAP the head over.

just because it is a B series block and MOST B series engine interchange parts BeSide the B20A.

get rid of the B20a and get and LS or B20b/z if u want to go LS/Vtec

Originally posted by B20vtec93@Jan 21 2004, 10:04 PM
yes you can put that head on a b20 block. that is called the frankenstien swap(b20 vtec) because of its low end torque. what you need is a gsr or type r tranny, a ecu from a civic si(b16), b series axles, integra shift linkage or civic si 99-00(will both work.), b-series throttle cable, and b16 intake manifold. b20 intake manifold is too high and will not clear under hood. As far as mounts are concerned, the rear mount and transmission side mounts are the same in 1994-2000 Integra’s and in 1994-1997 del Sol VTEC’s. However, the driver’s side mount bracket is sometimes different between these motors so it’s easiest to use the mount that comes with the motor. A B-series transmission mount will also be needed, and its recommended that you get this mount when locating the transmission. good luck man, you will be very happy with this swap.

i planning to do this swap also in my 93 civic but instead of b16 head am going with a gsr head. then am turbo charger it. i can't wait.

WTF. for the last fucking time to anyone that tries to swap a B series Vtec Head onto B20A

IT WILL NOT FIT.....

And it is not call the Crvtec with the B20A.

it can only be done with the B20B/Z NOT B20A

Do ur researe before u post stupid question...

Originally posted by highlife+Jan 21 2004, 10:12 PM-->
B20vtec93
@Jan 21 2004, 10:04 PM
yes you can put that head on a b20 block. that is called the frankenstien swap(b20 vtec) because of its low end torque. what you need is a gsr or type r tranny, a ecu from a civic si(b16), b series axles, integra shift linkage or civic si 99-00(will both work.), b-series throttle cable, and b16 intake manifold. b20 intake manifold is too high and will not clear under hood. As far as mounts are concerned, the rear mount and transmission side mounts are the same in 1994-2000 Integra’s and in 1994-1997 del Sol VTEC’s. However, the driver’s side mount bracket is sometimes different between these motors so it’s easiest to use the mount that comes with the motor. A B-series transmission mount will also be needed, and its recommended that you get this mount when locating the transmission. good luck man, you will be very happy with this swap.

i planning to do this swap also in my 93 civic but instead of b16 head am going with a gsr head. then am turbo charger it. i can't wait.

WTF. for the last fucking time to anyone that tries to swap a B series Vtec Head onto B20A

IT WILL NOT FIT.....

And it is not call the Crvtec with the B20A.

it can only be done with the B20B/Z NOT B20A

Do ur researe before u post stupid question...

:readfaq:

it will tell you the aame thing.

b20b or b20z

NOT b20a.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 22 2004, 03:12 AM

b20b or b20z

NOT b20a.

i dont know if u were talking to me.
but i was not talking about how dumb "B20vtec93" was, it seem he know what he is talking about.

i was talking about the other people who said that u can swap a Vtec head over to a B20A.

Originally posted by highlife+Jan 22 2004, 05:36 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jan 22 2004, 03:12 AM

b20b or b20z

NOT b20a.

i dont know if u were talking to me.
but i was not talking about how dumb "B20vtec93" was, it seem he know what he is talking about.

i was talking about the other people who said that u can swap a Vtec head over to a B20A.

what other people who said you could do that? The B20a is completely different from any other B series motors. There is no possible way to put a B16, B17, B18, or B20b/z head on it. Go read about them in the reference section.

Originally posted by B20vtec93@Jan 22 2004, 04:04 AM
yes you can put that head on a b20 block. that is called the frankenstien swap(b20 vtec) because of its low end torque.

Wow, I didn't know frankenstein had torque, lets try "because you are using parts from different engines". And next time why don't you try to include some info on generational differences in electronics (distributor, injectors, CAS, IAB) when spouting out halfassed crap, since you have no idea what car it is going into, there could be an easier way. Or maybe you could mention the machine work that is needed, since it doesn't just bolt on.

wtf? i thought snOOza had a b20b thats why i told him he can do the swap. sorry i misread his post. but am planning to do a crvtec with a b20b/z not an a. snOOza no you cant do that swap. sorry man try to get a b20b/z block then it will work.

actually ludespeed.com did this swap a few years back, they put a b16 head on a b20a block. If I were you I would contact Tom at Lude speed and see if he is still willing to make the kit.
http://ludespeed.com/products/prelude/home.html
As I recall though it did not make that much power and the project was scrapped.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Jan 22 2004, 06:13 PM
what other people who said you could do that?

"Sn00za" Have post this before in another place.

several ppl said that it was the shit and it was all fast and stuff and its call the CRVTEC. they are right but not with the B20A.

I told "Sn00za" and the other ppl who posted that they were wrong and u cant just swap a B16 Vtec head over to a b20A.

its not the B20B/Z so u cant just swap it over that easily.

but maybe he didnt understand or know what i was saying.

Soo now "Sn00za" post it here and ask the same question,

ok, lots of crap in here... let's clear it up.

SURE, you CAN use a b20a block. but you can also use a chevy 302 block and figure out a way to get 2 b16a heads on it if you really freakin want to. ANYTHING will work with enough time, money, and motivation.

for the rest of us,
the b20b and b20z are the blocks to use, cuz, well, it fits.

The B20b with b16 head, june cams, and valve springs extremely well. best thing i put in my '94 Ls. With a little bit of ZEX, it is amazingly fun.

"what you need is a gsr or type r tranny, a ecu from a civic si(b16)"
"b20 intake manifold is too high and will not clear under hood":thumbsdown:

You are giving out wrong or incomplete information...
His tranny choices are not limited to just a gsr or type r, he can also use the B16 tranny or the LS tranny. An ECU from an SI, GSR, or Type R can be used also. And the REAL reason he can't use the B20 intake mani, is cuzz it doesn't bolt up to a vtec head... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by scottp11@Jan 27 2004, 04:25 AM
"what you need is a gsr or type r tranny, a ecu from a civic si(b16)"
"b20 intake manifold is too high and will not clear under hood":thumbsdown:

You are giving out wrong or incomplete information...
His tranny choices are not limited to just a gsr or type r, he can also use the B16 tranny or the LS tranny. An ECU from an SI, GSR, or Type R can be used also. And the REAL reason he can't use the B20 intake mani, is cuzz it doesn't bolt up to a vtec head... :rolleyes:

His info was fine, not "complete", but not wrong. The type R tranny, is almost the same as the B16 but has LSD, and the LS tranny has longer gearing, so it gives a little on acceleration. The ECU would depend on the head.

And the the CRV IM is way too tall to fit under the hood, so the bolt pattern is irrelevant.

so now that i got you guys here(that know what they are talkin about)i got a 1998 civic hatch with a 99 si b16 swap motor trans harness ecu everything what i want to know is if i get a b20z block can i just swap out the b16 block and install the b20z and of course your opinion on the whole thing you know is it worth it? what am i going to need to pul this off? is it good for everyday driving? dont forget everything on the si side of the swap is stock you know the head ecu tranc etc... let me hear it your honest opinions because of heard good and bad things about the swap :ph34r:

Back