B16a Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

calligra

I was thinking about building it up to put in my Teg I have a b18a in the integra right now... what is a good place to find a N/A setup for the B16 with better torque numbers?

or if you know post some good ideas I have been looking around this site I can't seem to find any.

Thanks

Ian

Ways to get more torque:

Increase compression
Increase displacement
Increase air/fuel mass (turbocharger or nitrous)

If you already have a B18 in your Integra, I would suggest keeping it and swapping the B16 head on- maybe pulling it out and building it, then putting it back in. I wouldn't replace it with the B16.

well that is what I am thinking swap the b16 in the teg for now and then take the b18 block adn build it up .... then take the b16 head and drop it on the block. :D B)

or, buy a LS bottomend and a B16 - while keeping your complete motor together and car still running, then when the block comes in put the lsvtec together and then swap it over into your car - then sell your current complete motor as one unit.

:werd:

Just pick up another B18 bottom end somewhere for $150 or so, then build the entire engine all at once.

ok so if I go LS/VTEC what about the R/S ratio??? I have heard bad things about them...

Like Pistons through blocks and crap like that

the only reason for an LSVTEC Or CRVTEC to fail is improper building.

R/S ratio will be the same as a stock LS engine. The only real differences will be compression, HP, and TQ #'s.

yea. dont believe the hype... people who are uninformed usually bring up shit like that.

arp rod bolts and head studs are some relatively cheap insurance. it wont make power much over 8000 rpm anyways without some more cam and more compression

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jul 7 2004, 11:25 AM
yea. dont believe the hype... people who are uninformed usually bring up shit like that.

arp rod bolts and head studs are some relatively cheap insurance. it wont make power much over 8000 rpm anyways without some more cam and more compression

AEBS makes rod/head studs cheaper htan ARP and are "stronger"

just a little fyi, the rod stroke ratio in the Type R/GSR is one point higher than the LS, as long as everything was built correctly, proper clearnences, new bearings, seals, gaskets, you have have Zero problems.

a little did you know...i think....but the 4a-g, the toyota corolla motor, has the same r/s ratio as the b18c, which is almost the same as the ls, the TRD 4a-g can spin up to 11000rpm or more, its r/s ratio is worse then b16!

no such thing as perfect r/s, but there is an ideal one... 1.75, but for bikes its 2.

isnt the aebs bolts more expensive then the arp one?

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Jul 7 2004, 12:32 PM
does the b16 have near perfect R/S?

ok, near perfect, hows that?

and last I checked AEB's were 109, ARP were 115

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jul 7 2004, 01:29 PM
a little did you know...i think....but the 4a-g, the toyota corolla motor, has the same r/s ratio as the b18c, which is almost the same as the ls, the TRD 4a-g can spin up to 11000rpm or more, its r/s ratio is worse then b16!

no such thing as perfect r/s, but there is an ideal one... 1.75, but for bikes its 2.

I learned from Mike that perfect A/R is 1.75 and the B16 has a 1.74 a/r soooo... the b16 is pretty damn close to perfect.

perfect=no compromises...when you have a lower r/s it gives you better power for low rpm, plus its usually higher displacement then higher r/s motor, but more stress on conrods and cylinder walls. but with a built up motor a low r/s motor will make high rpm power. higher r/s means you will have to run higher deck height with lower stroke=less displacement, heavier rod, and not-as-good low end. 1.75 is a compromise between the two, but for one (like a motorcycle or f1 motor) a higher r/s will be considered "perfect", while on some smaller-packed torquey motors a low r/s would be "perfect". ever thought why did honda(b18c) and toyota(4a-g) make their high revving engines at 1.58 r/s? and even though the b16a has a "near perfect" r/s ratio ever wonder why the b18c can still rev as high?

Originally posted by revolution8k+Jul 7 2004, 01:55 PM-->
@Jul 7 2004, 01:29 PM

I learned from Mike that perfect A/R is 1.75 and the B16 has a 1.74 a/r soooo... the b16 is pretty damn close to perfect.

I don't think I would have ever said that it's perfect... it's just a good compromise.

either way.......b16's can spin up a long ways......

so can b18c5's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the LS is just a tiny tade below the ITR's........

YOU will be fine with spinning the LS rod stroke ratio up to 10+rpms with proper internal reenforcements.

Back