B16A cam seal help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RauL8604

Completed the LS/VTEC swap, now just one issue. The cam seals are leaking right behind the cam gears. Is is possible to take off the cam gears and change the seals WITHOUT pulling anything more than the valve cover and cam retainers? Can I do it without having it perfectly lined up in TDC? How do I hold the cams in place so they don't spin while I loosen the gear bolts? Should I use RTV sealant anywhere in the area? Thanks to any helpful tips.

there is a place on ur cams to hold w a wrench,not sure what size bc i use a adjustable wrench. im not sure if u can just take off ur cam gears and the cam cap behind it to change it or if u will have to take the whole cam off... but either way u will have to retime it.

you have to pull the camshaft out, Makes things easy and less of a pain in the ass to work with.

Dont use any RTV, you will just make things sloppy. Also you can use LS cam seals if they are out of B16 or GSR. They are the same part number.

Also make sure you torque the girdles to oem spec.

I agree with Magana. You have to take the cam gears/timing belt off anyways. The cam seal comes pre-greased on the inside. The cam caps (at ends of cams) needs honda bond on the ends and some of the sides but none is applied to the cam seals (this is all info I have used from Helm's for a OBD1 B18C1 but applies to B16 heads too)

I suggest a Helm manual similar to mine (if you dont have anything)

Thanks a ton guys... I ended up pulling the cams, put the cam gears in a vice with a broken up paint mixer on both sides of the gear. The gear smashed into the wood keeping it from getting damaged by the vice. The cam seal change was a huge success... No more oil leakage!

Back