B16A Electrical Problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eric17038

I'm mainly trying to identify the motor in an 88 CRX SI which I recently picked up, sort of sight unseen. The previous owner bought it swapped from someone else that bought it that way and none of them seem to really know much about the car (or cars in general really), both tell me its the JDM motor out of a 92+ Si but I don’t think they have any idea what they talking about, oh and that it was professionally installed, at least the mechanical side of it.

The VTEC hasn’t worked properly since I bought it and both of them had the same problem (So it’s never worked as far back as I know its history) claiming it’s the distributor even though it’s brand new. Contrary to this though, the last owner recently told me the VTEC worked one day for a little while after his buddy accidentally kicked over the ECU through the carpet.

It’s stamped B16A, and from what info I could find I think it’s a first gen (it looks like its got 2 single wire O2 sensors, and it has the PGM-F1 Intake manifold), so I believe its OBD0, but I only had a few minutes to look at it this evening after driving up from college. It also has a TD22 Distributor (might have been TD22A?).

After pulling up the carpet the wiring looks like a bad hack job, so I'm thinking there’s a good chance this actually is the problem (the way it acts when VTEC tries to engage seems like an electrical thing too).

Can anyone tell me if this information sound like it's correct? Are there any other specific markings or features I should look for to make sure? Thanks for any help anyone can give, im kind of on a time table here so I'm trying to take care of this as quickly as possible.

Sounds like my story,
If the motor is stamped B16A NOT b16a1 then it is a first gen j-spec as far as I know. TD22...thats what i have also. Dont think there was a 92 Si with a first gen (but dont quote me on that) Your a little vague though, what ECU is it...what are its problems (spacific)? My ECU is a PR3 and it jerks (sometimes at the right RPM) when going into V-Tec. I have a 88CRX and so far there kinda tricky. (read my "illusive check engine light" post). You need the "V-Tec Supplement guide" for most of it. It will help you with most the wiring...I cant ephasize how important it is to re-check.
Im not sure how to post the link but ask a moderator to point you in the right direction. Yes a B16A is a OBDO motor, however all you need to do is swap sensors, ECU, etc to make it an OBDwhateveryouwant. Also a note on the side, i understand if the CRX is a DX, you have to swap the MAP also because its designed for a DPFI not the MPFI the b16 use, but again ask, not 100% sure hope my limited knowledge was some help.
shane :cool:

well if the its the stock dizzy, td-22 is a OBD0 B16A.

do you have a check engine light?

might be able to help you out.

I'll also step in to confirm that I think that its a first gen obd0 b16a. From your description I'd also say that rewireing it correctly could very possibly fix the problem. However, I would think that if the sensors were not connected correctly (unless maybe the VTEC solenoid is disconnected) that you'd have a CEL.

Woops. Just realized this was a dead post. 4month's old.....
Oh well. Good for tech knowledge at the least I guess.

Back