b16a head b20 block in a ef 91 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1996cool

wats up guys i finally bought my 1991 ef civic and would like to swap the engine for a b20 vtec swap the problem is im not sure if an obd1 or an obd2 head would work on this set up i would like the head to be a b16 but not sure wat obd to go with also i have a block from a usdm b20z crv complete that i pick up at a local u pic for 500.00 if i decide to go with the obd1 b16 head and the b20z block will i run into major problems . i know that i would have to buy a conversion kit to obd1 for the head and purchase the ecu what else would i need to fit this set up any advice appreciated thank you

Use the obd0 b16 intake manifold, b20z block will work but I think youre gonna need new pistons because the oem valve reliefs in the b20z pistons wont clear the b16 vtec valves once vtec engages. Could be wrong though. This stuff been covered alot the answers you seek are here, there, google, pretty much everywhere.

ok.....according to numerous experienced honda enthusiasts the b16 head with the b20z block will work and will clear the pistons even when it hits vtec. but.. you cant put aftermarket camshafts due to the valves being to close to pistons already. its suggested to install new pistons with a greater valve relief in order to tune and get the most out of that engine again im not a pro, but thats what i have read so far if any one has more info please let me know im gettin ready to make the purchase. ............question!!!! if i use the obdo b16 head for my 91 hatch wat ecu to use and if its a mpfi.

personally i would use a chipped gsr ecu or a type r ecu... but thats just me...thats after you convert your OBD0 ecu to an OBD1...they make a harness on ebay that i think sells for like 70 bucks... thats the easiest way i see it...

Back