B16A header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Ok, first off, i did search for this topic and didnt find anything to answer my question.

What design of header is best for my car (B16A motor)? The 4-1 or the 4-2-1?

4-1 gives you more low end torque(if you can call it that in a honda) and a 4-2-1 will display more mid range/hi end power benifits. Hope this helps. I say go 4-2-1. The minute difference in the 4-1 will not give you the added torque as much as the 4-2-1 will give you added high end. and thats where all honda motors make power...up top..

matt

Depends... there are all sorts of header design elements which affect your power curve- short vs long primaries, angle of marge, merge length, collector diameter, runner diameter, stepped tubes, curve bend radius etc. Read up and then make your decision.

In general though- this is how most people think about 4-1 vs 4-2-1. 4-1 is generally accepted for max top end power, while 4-2-1 is "chosen" for more mid range grunt. I don't necessarily find that to be true... but that is how most of the Honda community thinks about headers.

Originally posted by hybrid89@Feb 3 2004, 02:26 PM
4-1 gives you more low end torque(if you can call it that in a honda) and a 4-2-1 will display more mid range/hi end power benifits. Hope this helps. I say go 4-2-1. The minute difference in the 4-1 will not give you the added torque as much as the 4-2-1 will give you added high end. and thats where all honda motors make power...up top..

matt

youve got that backwards

i've had both styles on two different cars (a forth gen hatch and my 90 prelude) and i couldn't really notice a huge difference between the two styles- THe one thing i wouldn't buy again is a 2 piece header, i dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but i consistantly blew the gasket out of thed two piece header I had on the prelude- i ended up taking the damn thing outand welding it together

sorry my bad! flip that round and yes I agree with Calesta...but I'm just saying in general...

matt

Well, seeing as how i want to get the most out of the header, what one do you guys recomend for my setup (i will be using n20 soon after the header).

From my own personal experience, I would choose the 4-1 way better than 4-2-1. I have had them both.

4-1 was (to me) a big power increase overall.

4-2-1 was a small gain and it helped a little.

Back