B16A in '89 Rex odd fuel problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Carl425

Okay, I put a B16A in my EDM rex and it started right up once I figured out the re-wire necessary for the male side of the distributor harness. I went from a EDM ZC motor to the B16 and there's some differences from the USDM swap not really covered in any forums that I could find...

Anyway, to the point of the post, after I let it warm up to make sure I had enough coolant, oil etc... I took her for a spin. She started running weird almost like a miss or a cylinder not firing and then just kept running like that. When I pulled back in the garage and shut it off, she didn't want to start again. I cussed at her 'cause it had been a long day already and I went out again and tried it and she started right up and ran fine. I took her out for another run and same thing happened and she acted the same when I shut her off again. It just cranks and won't even fire.

What exactly does the FPR solenoid do on these motors? If the solenoid was bad and is telling the regulator to stay open wouldn't that just let all the fuel through the rail and back out the return? How do I check if the solenoid is bad, or the FPR itself? Thanks.

Back