b16a in rex, wierd partial throttle problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

ok, i just picked up a b16 swapped 89 crx, runs great, idles fine, etc. It has a problem tho, and its kinda fishy.

According to the vafc, at about 10-15% throttle and around 1500 rpm, the engine cuts out. like it just ran out of gas or is running out of gas, untill i let off the throttle and get back on it.

Im thinking it may be a tps problem, but am unsure. Id like to get some input on this.

Thanks.

i dont think its a tps problem. the only way i can see it being a tps problem is if the tps was uncalibrated and telling the ecu that you were at 0% when you were really slightly still on it. in case you didnt know, while driving, off the throttle 0%, over 1100-1300 (depending on obd) rpms, the injectors actually shut off. but if this was the case, i would think the vafc would be telling you that you were at 0%. if the vafc sees the correct number, the ecu must be too.

Quoted post[/post]]
i dont think its a tps problem. the only way i can see it being a tps problem is if the tps was uncalibrated and telling the ecu that you were at 0% when you were really slightly still on it. in case you didnt know, while driving, off the throttle 0%, over 1100-1300 (depending on obd) rpms, the injectors actually shut off. but if this was the case, i would think the vafc would be telling you that you were at 0%. if the vafc sees the correct number, the ecu must be too.

interesting, i didnt know that obdo shuts the injectors off.

The VAFC self calibrates to the tps. the ecu uses set voltage, i belive .5 volts at closed tb. the tps has phillips screws holding it on, so i think its been replaced. it may not be calibrated to oem voltage tho.

i'll check it tomarow, any other suggestions?

His point is, if the AFC is showing 15%, so is the ecu. Voltage is voltage. The TPS is not at fault.

I'd look into a coil/igniter issue if it was my car.

Back