B16A Into a 89 DX CRX Problems.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdaddylove

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the board. I have a couple questions. I got a second Gen b16a this I've already dropped in my CRX. Now since the car is a DX i already did the conversion to mpfi. My question is that after all the research I've done on the net I keep on running into problems that nobody else seems to mention.

My first problem was that I needed to get an integra engine post on the drivers side so it would line up to the mount. So the engine and everything else lines up good.

Second I found out that I can't use the b16a's injectors because they are obd1 so I put in 89 Si injectors. Also I used a newer prelude resistor box for the mpfi swap.

I then bought an obd0 b16a distributor since the distributor that came with the engine had a big old gray connector. The distributor bolted right up and I ran the extra two wires to the ECU like noted.

I have a pr3 ECU but I am going to test to see if the car runs with my old integra ECU for my zc motor.

My main problem now is that the alternator on the engine doesn't plug up to the DX wiring harness. I was told that I can use the DX alternator but I will have to swap the pulleys because the b16a has 4 teeth on the pulley not 3. Just wondering if anyone can clarify this.

Well, this is what has been done so far. Just wondering if anyone can give some info or some help. Or any links with great detail.

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks for the info. I also have a question as to what to do with the throttle cable. I got an integra one for the swap and i was told that i have to cut off 4 inches. how do i get it to hook up on the end then? Do you weld or solder the knob back on?

Also i realize that the si injectors aren't the best ones for the swap. Just curious as to what would be the best injectors to get. I assume the non obd b16a ones would be them. Thanks

Tim

not sure about the throttle cable...never heard of having to cut one...i didn't, just had to modify the bracket slightly...but for injectors, yeah with a stock motor...all you need is obd0 b series, if you have plans to build her up down the line then go with bigger, but they are pricey...but even then you have to consider what fuel managment you might be getting because you can go to big..

Thanks for all the info. This site definetly seems like a new home. Just wondering if you could elaborate a little on how you modified the bracket. For some reason the one website said that you have to cut 4 inches off of the cable. But hey thanks for all the great info once again.

Tim

Wel not to be CPT Obvious or anything but you should have gotten an OBD0 swap. As far as the ECU goes just find a OBD0 ECU PW0 it's what came with the original engine. then get a set of stock b series injectors, then use the stock b series alternator for 90-91 integras. then get an Integra injector resistor box. You'll have to drill an extra hole in your ex. manifold for the secondary o2 sensor, unles you love starring at the CEL all day. Ditch the AC, buy an adaprt bracket from hasport for your throttle cable problem (EFG Throttle Cable Brackets
Simplifies the 88-00 Honda Civic/CRX B-series motor swap by allowing stock Civic/CRX throttle cable to be used. Price = $10.00)
Hope this info wasnt wrong so good luck...

the 89 si injectors have the same flow rate as the obd0 b16a injectors so why swap them out.

Okay now i'm confused. Will the D-series Si injectors work on this engine? And will the pr3 ecu work on this engine. I basically want to just be able to drive the car until i can get everything else thats recommended. Will the newer prelude resistor box work as well?

Thanks,

Tim

And can i use a 89 integra ecu to try to start the car and test to see if it starts?

Back