b16a not pulling as hard as it should?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have 1990 CRX DX model and its got a 1g b16a in it with an ls integra trans for now. I'm pretty sure vtec works cause i hear it engage around 5100 rpms or around their. But the car isn't pulling like it should, i know its not suppose to be hold on to your pants fast. But a little peppy would be nice. My friend with a rex has a b18a1 in it and he thinks his is faster with just intake and exhause same as mine. Not going in compettion but mine should feel quicker. It just feels like it has no kick in it. i got 210,205,215,205 compression so the motor is fresh, no codes, everything works, i hear vtec engaging, just not fast. Should i try new cap and rotor again and wires cause their old. its got new plugs and fuel filter. Would a vafc II help out by tuning the car and checking the air fuel through out the rpms. And also could the ecu be bad?

Originally posted by white91crxhf@Oct 4 2004, 09:09 PM
I have 1990 CRX DX model and its got a 1g b16a in it with an ls integra trans for now. I'm pretty sure vtec works cause i hear it engage around 5100 rpms or around their. But the car isn't pulling like it should, i know its not suppose to be hold on to your pants fast. But a little peppy would be nice. My friend with a rex has a b18a1 in it and he thinks his is faster with just intake and exhause same as mine. Not going in compettion but mine should feel quicker. It just feels like it has no kick in it. i got 210,205,215,205 compression so the motor is fresh, no codes, everything works, i hear vtec engaging, just not fast. Should i try new cap and rotor again and wires cause their old. its got new plugs and fuel filter. Would a vafc II help out by tuning the car and checking the air fuel through out the rpms. And also could the ecu be bad?
[post=398358]Quoted post[/post]​

Could be the LS Trans thats the problem, those trans are supposed to be good for Turbo apps but not N/A

Its probaly not pulling as hard as it should because you just realized it only has ~111 ft lb torque...

I know 111 ft. lbs. of torque is not much but it should pull just as hard as a b18a1, would the ls trans affect it the car that much? or what are some signs or other things to check for. should i just get it dynoed?

Originally posted by white91crxhf@Oct 5 2004, 10:30 AM
I know 111 ft. lbs. of torque is not much but it should pull just as hard as a b18a1, would the ls trans affect it the car that much? or what are some signs or other things to check for. should i just get it dynoed?
[post=398517]Quoted post[/post]​

The reason that your motor feelz weak is because of your LS tranny.

The long gearing of the LS tranny is good for boost apps, but since the B16A has almost no torque, you need to keep it "wound up" so to speak by keeping the motor in its NARROW powerband . . . . a tranny with shorter gearing would make your car feel faster and more responsive.

BTW< you should mop up on your friend with the b18b - i raced a CRX w/B18A1 and beat that by almost 1 car lenght (not much). . . . point its, my car is heavier thanyours is.

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Oct 5 2004, 11:32 AM-->
white91crxhf
@Oct 5 2004, 10:30 AM

The long gearing of the LS tranny is good for boost apps, but since the B16A has almost no torque, you need to keep it "wound up" so to speak by keeping the motor in its NARROW powerband . . . . a tranny with shorter gearing would make your car feel faster and more responsive.

BTW< you should mop up on your friend with the b18b - i raced a CRX w/B18A1 and beat that by almost 1 car lenght (not much). . . . point its, my car is heavier thanyours is.
[post=398534]Quoted post[/post]​

Allow me to dispel some of these worthless rumors....

#1 An LS tranny is NEVER beter than a GSR/B16 tranny, not even for boost applications. Higher gearing = faster acceleration, ALWAYS

#2 Torque wins races (the first half anyway) every time. From a roll you could probably beat a B18b, but off the line he will win. My buddy is making 143HP to the wheel in his LS which is right around where my B16 is, but his torque makes his car faster... Get it?

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Oct 5 2004, 11:43 AM-->
Originally posted by Cashizslick@Oct 5 2004, 11:32 AM
white91crxhf
@Oct 5 2004, 10:30 AM

[post=398534]Quoted post[/post]​

Allow me to dispel some of these worthless rumors....

#1 An LS tranny is NEVER beter than a GSR/B16 tranny, not even for boost applications. Higher gearing = faster acceleration, ALWAYS

#2 Torque wins races (the first half anyway) every time. From a roll you could probably beat a B18b, but off the line he will win. My buddy is making 143HP to the wheel in his LS which is right around where my B16 is, but his torque makes his car faster... Get it?
[post=398539]Quoted post[/post]​

Unless the laws of physics are false, a car with 170hp WILL be faster than a car of the same weight and only 140hp.

The B16A has a very narrow powerband, it rely's on short gearing to make power.

If the motor had more displacement, it could get away with using slightly longer gearing because of its wider powerband. Thats why a GSR and SI use DIFFERENT trannies.

A car with 170 hp will not always be faster than a car with 140 hp if the car with 170 HP makes that power at 10,000 rpms and the car with 140 hp makes it at 3,000 rpms.

So there. :fuckyou2:

:D

Unless the laws of physics are false, a car with 170hp WILL be faster than a car of the same weight and only 140hp.

If the motor had more displacement, it could get away with using slightly longer gearing because of its wider powerband. Thats why a GSR and SI use DIFFERENT trannies.

I think it's just the LS tranny. *shrug* Longer gears = more MPH per RPM. If you want bite, i'd say a close ratio, like an Si tranny.

EX Transmission 97 EK SOHC VTEC: 70mph @ 3000~ RPM in Fifth Gear.
SI Transmission 00 EK DOHC VTEC: 70mph @ 4000~ RPM in Fifth Gear.

I thought VTEC kicked in @ around 6000rpms on stock B16s?

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 5 2004, 12:01 PM
A car with 170 hp will not always be faster than a car with 140 hp if the car with 170 HP makes that power at 10,000 rpms and the car with 140 hp makes it at 3,000 rpms.

So there. :fuckyou2:

:D
[post=398546]Quoted post[/post]​

Not all engines rev to a certain rpm at the same time. :p

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Oct 5 2004, 12:03 PM

[post=398548]Quoted post[/post]​

Didn't you hear? The laws of physics were proven wrong a while ago..... B got laid. :p :D :lol:

Seriously, The B16 is a torqueless wonder. I understand what you are saying, but if you put a B16 tranny on a GSR it will be faster than the GSR tranny. Also, If you have a car with more torque at a lower RPM it should be faster than a car with less torque at the same RPM. Get it?

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Oct 5 2004, 12:03 PM

Wrong. This will only be 100% true in a steady state comparison. Engines don't operate at peak power 100% of the time- it's more like 5%. You have to compare power curves, torque multiplication through the drivetrain, weight, air resistance etc...

Originally posted by Calesta+Oct 5 2004, 02:10 PM-->
Cashizslick
@Oct 5 2004, 12:03 PM

Wrong. This will only be 100% true in a steady state comparison. Engines don't operate at peak power 100% of the time- it's more like 5%. You have to compare power curves, torque multiplication through the drivetrain, weight, air resistance etc...
[post=398609]Quoted post[/post]​

I was waiting for you to come in and help me out here..... :D

:thumbsup: to Calesta for always knowing what's up..... Now get over to "Black Smoke" and answer my thread... :p

change out your trans...

another tip that may help you, and I'm sure i will get flamed, but you can try to advance your timing by turning your distributor a bit...

that could help you a bit more off the line, and help you to rev into vtec a bit quicker, but your gearing is still gonna kill you...

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Oct 5 2004, 01:56 PM-->
Cashizslick
@Oct 5 2004, 12:03 PM

If the motor had more displacement, it could get away with using slightly longer gearing because of its wider powerband.  Thats why a GSR and SI use DIFFERENT trannies.

Didn't you hear? The laws of physics were proven wrong a while ago..... B got laid. :p :D :lol:

Seriously, The B16 is a torqueless wonder. I understand what you are saying, but if you put a B16 tranny on a GSR it will be faster than the GSR tranny. Also, If you have a car with more torque at a lower RPM it should be faster than a car with less torque at the same RPM. Get it?
[post=398593]Quoted post[/post]​

00ps, i musta double posted by accident.

You dont seem to understand that the point of short gearing is to keep a motor in the peak of its powerband > thats how a B16 can still be quick and why it is slow with LONG gearing.

OK now you pissed me off. If you are too stupid to understand what I am saying then just shut up and go hide in a corner. I understand what the fuck short gearing is, but you OBVIOUSLY don't understand that you need to rev a motor up to get it in it's peak range. And no matter what, off the line, in similar weighing cars, with the same tranny, a car with more torque will win. Please stop replying with your useless dribble because it makes me want to :slap: the shit out of you.

here's a thought you can go get a 300hp b-series whatever with a long ass gear ratio and my y8 with si tranny will stay right next to you. how's that. long gear ratio is for grannys that wanna save gas. when you decide to go performance-wise you can consider a closer gear ratio. why do you think the mitsubishi lancer came out with an even closer gear ratio even when boosted. to get to that power faster of course.

Back