b16a not pulling as hard as it should?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Longer transmissions do have their advantages, this case is not one of them.

Actually the only advantage of the LS tranny is during turbo applications, only for the reason you would stay in boost longer and gain more mph. During a road course this would be the worst tranny possible for any b-series, but could be the best for the greatest trap time 175+ mph.

get a 300hp b-series whatever with a long ass gear ratio and my y8 with si tranny will stay right next to you

I bet you won't, unless you have something I don't know about to go alnog with that y8, there is no way in hell you'd keep up with a 300 hp b-series with a LS tranny (longest gear ratios for the b-series trans')

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Oct 5 2004, 02:35 PM-->
you OBVIOUSLY don't understand that you need to rev a motor up to get it in it's peak range.
[post=398623]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, you do not know how to read/interpret words. Read what i wrote in the post DIRECTLY above yours.
Originally posted by Cashizslick@Oct 5 2004, 02:31 PM
the point of short gearing is to keep a motor in the peak of its powerband
[post=398621]Quoted post[/post]​

Now that you have been PWN3D by your own stupidity, realise what you are saying

sohcslammer
@Oct 5 2004, 02:35 PM
And no matter what, off the line, in similar weighing cars, with the same tranny, a car with more torque will win. Please stop replying with your useless dribble because it makes me want to :slap: the shit out of you.
[post=398623]Quoted post[/post]​

I have raced plenty of LS powerd 94 civics - they get about 1 car length off the line on me . . . then, after my tires grip and my motor starts making 30 more hp, i am a head at the end of first gear.

Getting a 1/2 car length jump off the line doesnt mean shit.

i'm going to get either a y1 or a ys1, i want a y1 but its hard to find one. also i started thinking maybe its a automatic b16a, because vtec isn't as loud when vtec kicks in and doesn't pull as hard when it happends as normal 1g b16a so i hear, now the pulling could be the trans but the loudness of vtec should'nt effect the trans in anyway. ne way the automatic b16a from what i hear ,have not as aggresive cams which maybe is the case. i think i'm gonna dyno it and see the power. it puts down, because either trans will put out the some power.

Originally posted by white91crxhf@Oct 6 2004, 07:13 PM
i'm going to get either a y1 or a ys1, i want a y1 but its hard to find one. also i started thinking maybe its a automatic b16a, because vtec isn't as loud when vtec kicks in and doesn't pull as hard when it happends as normal 1g b16a so i hear, now the pulling could be the trans but the loudness of vtec should'nt effect the trans in anyway. ne way the automatic b16a from what i hear ,have not as aggresive cams which maybe is the case. i think i'm gonna dyno it and see the power. it puts down, because either trans will put out the some power.
[post=399261]Quoted post[/post]​

Dont waste your money, just change the tranny to YS1.

Think about it - the powerband on a B16 is as narrow as michael jackson's penis.

The gearing on an LS tranny is not short enough to keep a B16 in its short powerband >>> Thus, shorter gearing is needed (YS1).

one more thing. the sound of your VTEC engaugement could be from a number of things . . . a hot air intake will always be louder than a cold air intake so if you are using a cold air intake its gonna be quieter.

AND, a automatic B16A ecu is the only difference in the auto and 5spd version of the motor. > it readlinez at 7.8k or so . .

Think about it - the powerband on a B16 is as narrow as michael jackson's penis.

:lol: :laugh:

haha, well 300hp is a little high. but...yeah just go with the shortest gear ratio possible that will benefit your engine (b16tranny) ls tranny is also useless in turbo mods. LS = :p like i said only for fuel efficiency.

think of it like this. the ls takes it's time to get to "200whp" at "7000" rpms. in that amount of time the b16 will be already be at "200whp" at 7000 rpms and already switched gears. you'll still be stuck at 160 at lets say 5500 rpms and that shit is still climbing like a stupifyed mummy. if the b16 tranny is quicker to produce the most hp when it is accelerating then it will dissappear on the slower/longer gears of the ls.

another notion: if 2 punches with an equal amount of strength or "damage" is delivered at a given start time the faster punch will hit first. if it was a contest of who's to reach 7 jabs the fastest fist will hit finish first. no matter if they both have the same strength/damage. i surely would hope to be the faster one of course.

Originally posted by Arachnid@Oct 7 2004, 01:56 AM
another notion: if 2 punches with an equal amount of strength or "damage" is delivered at a given start time the faster punch will hit first. if it was a contest of who's to reach 7 jabs the fastest fist will hit finish first. no matter if they both have the same strength/damage. i surely would hope to be the faster one of course.
[post=399433]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry man, but :wtf: ?

The tranny is definately the issue. My friend has a b16 with ls tranny and he added a hondata just to stay in vtec when he shifts.

To answer your question......
1) When you turn your car on (not start, just on), does your engine light come on for a sec then turn off? The reason I ask this is because We dont know how you got your car....did you buy it used or install the engine yourself? If you bought it used, some people will actually disable the engine light so it doesn't look like they're throwing any codes...but they actually are. If your engine light does work in the first place, then it's not anything to do with that. And if I'm just being a dumbass because I think a 1st gen B16 is OBD 0 (cant remember) just disregard what I just said.......lol.

2) LS tranny has to go. like now.....go ....get rid of it....go get a B16 or JDM ITR w/LSD tranny.

3) Why the hell are people bashing B16's all the time?? IMO They are my absolute favourite Honda engine next to the K-series. Fuck torque. You dont buy a Honda B-series engine for torque anyways, they werent designed for it. Honda engines are all about RPMs and VTEC...thats it. B16's are some of the highest reving Honda engine's out there and that's what makes them fun and fast. I'd take my SiRII over a GSR or LS or ITR any day of the week. B16's, I think, are the best bang for the buck and are worth every penny.....many people and racers like Lisa Kubo (to name one among MANY) agree with me too..
But once again, those are my views.

Im going to have to say it is in part at least the transmission, as i dealt with the same thing. When i first put my B16 into my integra it was mated to an LS transmission ( i couldnt afford the tranny at the time.) The car seemed fun still, and definitly faster than the b18, but i would always either shift just about out of my powerband, or out entirely. When the transmission gave out and i put a J1 into it i noticed a huge difference. Of course what you give up with a shorter geared transmission is gas milage, but i was fortunate enough to be able to swap my ls 5th gear into my j1 transmission.

The cams in the auto model dropped the flywheel hp to about 150, so it would make some difference. Im not sure how to identify the difference, but im pretty sure there is a way without out and out measuring the lobes. But as a driver of a crx dx with a b16 and skunk 2 stage 1 cams i can tell you that they are a great investment.

Originally posted by Johnnylawless+Oct 4 2004, 11:18 PM-->
white91crxhf
@Oct 4 2004, 09:09 PM
I have 1990 CRX DX model and its got a 1g b16a in it with an ls integra trans for now. I'm pretty sure vtec works cause i hear it engage around 5100 rpms or around their. But the car isn't pulling like it should, i know its not suppose to be hold on to your pants fast. But a little peppy would be nice. My friend with a rex has a b18a1 in it and he thinks his is faster with just intake and exhause same as mine. Not going in compettion but mine should feel quicker. It just feels like it has no kick in it. i got 210,205,215,205 compression so the motor is fresh, no codes, everything works, i hear vtec engaging, just not fast. Should i try new cap and rotor again and wires cause their old. its got new plugs and fuel filter. Would a vafc II help out by tuning the car and checking the air fuel through out the rpms. And also could the ecu be bad?
[post=398358]Quoted post[/post]​

Could be the LS Trans thats the problem, those trans are supposed to be good for Turbo apps but not N/A
[post=398366]Quoted post[/post]​

um no

Back