B16A OBD1 - How to check engine light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jayamashey

Stupid question from a novice.

I did a B16a OBD1 swap. Since I don't have the plug (normally in the EG's and up) to check the engine codes. How do I do it? What pins do I need to cross?

It would help to know what car it's in...

I'm guessing it's an 88-91 since you said it doesn't have the service connector...

if you converted to OBD1, didn't you use a jumper harness? On the harness there should be 2 wires that you use to check the CEL...

well ill have to double check in the day light, i installed a plug on my ef, but untill then bump everone

Its an EF so I don't have it. What are you supposed to jump the Service Connector pin to?

I posed that mere seconds after you posted...lol

you jump it to itsself. On the service connector there are 2 wires, one of them is a ground and the other goes to...well, i'm not really sure what it goes to, but you ground it in order to make the CEL on the dash blink.

Its doesn't work. I have tried to ground the D4 Pin (Service Connector) but I don't get any flashes. The CEL just stays on.

Its a P30 ECU for an OBD1 B16 in an '89 SI.

Does it run? And is it throwing a code (meaning is the light on when you don't have the service connector pin grounded)?

It runs, but like crap. The light is always on except when the ECU is unplugged. Been reading it could possibly be a code zero. I am not sure though. Don't really want to pay for another ECU. If its a code zero what else could I check to diagnose? I fell like i have checked everything.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm pretty sure you've got a bad ECU. I don't know that there IS anything else to check...find someone with a B16 ECU and plug it in, and see if it works. If the service connector pin is grounded and the CEL stays solid, that's a code zero though.

Thanks for the help. It was the ECU. Just bought a new one and it works well. Throwign a couple of codes but I will work on those. At leaset its running and not hitting a 3500 RPM limit.

I had the "always on" CEL light once...

in my case, a bump in what passes for a road in Gilbert, actually dislodged the ECU chip inside my case. I plugged it back in and it worked fine.

The ecu that I had turned out to be OK.The chip inside was put in backwards by the original owner. The notch in the chip always has to face the ECU plugs.

Back