B16A OBD1 swap to 91 Integra OBD0

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

steveshow

I recently bought a 1991 Acura Integra (OBD0) with a bown head gasket w/ 218k miles on the original B18A 1.8L, partially disassembled engine when I bought it. I could not find a reasonably priced exact replacement, so on the advice of a "friend", I bought a 1992 Civic (OBD1)JDM B16A 1.6L w/ 41k miles. I guess it's not so bad, since I got a whole front clip for $850 from a company in Abilene, TX (Superior Trading International) off EBAY. I have experience w/ several domestic swaps, and have done my own maintenance for a while now on my vehicles, and the install it self went smoothly. Before installing the engine, I installed a new water pump and timing belt. I did not verify thee engine was at #1 TDC, I just swapped the belt w/ out moving the pulleys. When I swapped the original OBD1 distributor for an OBD0 VTEC dist., I also did not verify #1 TDC, I just put it on w/ out moving the dist or turning the engine and pointed the rotor to the same spot. I realize now that both of these were errors .The trouble came getting the car running right/ It started up, but would not idle on its own, but would idle unless the throttle was held. I ran the car awhile and tried several things to fix this. (In my haste, I forgot to look at the check engine light on th ECU to see if there were any codes, as it is under the carpet on th passenger footwell). I plan to check for codes tomorrow. I tried to drive the car, and I got to about 20 mph and the engine died. It did not make any horrendous noises or anything, it just died. It would turn over, but not start. I tried to start it maybe three times, and now it will not even turn over. The battery is not dead, but I put a charger just to be sure. I am going to check the starter and timing tomorrow. Part of the problem is the B18A had a mile of vacuum lines that the previous owner yanked off w/ out labelling when he pulled the intake/ head. I have only been able to work on the car on weekends, and I have had the car since July, messed w/ trying to fix the B18, pulled it, bought the B16 1st part of October. Iwant to get it on the road!. My truck gets 13mpg and $40/ week for gas is KILLING ME!!!Any advice?

did you convert the B16 over to obd-0? you have the distributor, your also going to need to get the obd-0 injectors(the ones from the B18 will work) and you are going to need the obd-0 B16 ECU. You will need to use the B18 wire harness and you'll have to wire in the VTEC, Knock, and 2nd o2 later on.

and do not try and start the car until you put the motor in time!!! and there's vacuum diagrams all over the net to show you where they need to go... goodluck

Quoted post[/post]]
did you convert the B16 over to obd-0? you have the distributor, your also going to need to get the obd-0 injectors(the ones from the B18 will work) and you are going to need the obd-0 B16 ECU. You will need to use the B18 wire harness and you'll have to wire in the VTEC, Knock, and 2nd o2 later on.

and do not try and start the car until you put the motor in time!!! and there's vacuum diagrams all over the net to show you where they need to go... goodluck

I bought an OBD0 Vtec dist on Ebay, since I didn't want to go ghetto and saw one ear off the B18 dist. I also used my B18 injectors. I started it using the original ECU that was in the car. I have been told it will run, just no VTEC... i did not get a chance to work on it today, as all I have is a carport (!) and it is cold even here in A, TX... Thanks for the advice. Help a brutha out with a link to these vacuum diagrams that are "all over the net"...

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I bought an OBD0 Vtec dist on Ebay, since I didn't want to go ghetto and saw one ear off the B18 dist. I also used my B18 injectors. I started it using the original ECU that was in the car. I have been told it will run, just no VTEC... i did not get a chance to work on it today, as all I have is a carport (!) and it is cold even here in A, TX... Thanks for the advice. Help a brutha out with a link to these vacuum diagrams that are "all over the net"...
yeah it will run with the B18 computer... i'll PM you a link as soon as I find a good one. There are some that are decent but you'd have to know other things before hand before you could understand what they are saying.

I think I may have solved part of my problem. (Hopefully). I bought a first gen B16A intake on Ebay for $66. ($26 for intake-I thought $40 shipping was kinda high, but oh well. I have had bar tabs twice that...) I believe it has the correct vacuum ports to hook up all of the original Integra vacuum crap.

NOW- Does anyone no where to hook the oil pressure sensor up on the B16A? At least I think it is the oil pressure sensor. i don't know what else it could be. It is near the oil filter. I am using the original B18A harness. I extended the temp sensor wires from the oil filter area to the themostat housing. The plug on the harness has two seperate bulllet type round connectors under a big rubber cap/boot.

I am getting ready to do a similar swap but useing obd1 stuff since it was provided. but on my other 91 LS i swapped a B18b from a 96 LSse for a blown B17A and the sensors you refer too are either the coolent fan switch which I relocated to the 96's houseing useing the connector removed from the other one you speak of is the oil temp sensor, which is not neccessary unless you are running A/C and I hope you arent. I just used the obd0 connector from the old coolant temp switch as a cap and taped it up in some loom under the manifold, havent had any issues.

HOLY 5 YEAR OLD THREAD BATMAN!!!
From Wiki:
Bumping old or inactive ("dead") threads is occasionally called "necroposting" or "thread necromancy", and the bumped posts referred to as "frankenposts". "Dead" threads that are reawakened are often called "thread necros". People who resurrect old threads are often called "threadomancers". On some boards, bumping a new thread with no replies in order to elicit a response is tolerated, but resurrecting an old thread that has run its course and has been inactive for a period of time (usually anywhere from a few days to a month) is prohibited.

I actually had this same issue when butting a B18b into one of my 91 tegras, cause the B18B doesnt have that plug so after working with a mechanic at a dealer ship, it is an Oil temperature switch that activates your second radiator fan for the AC, so if your like me and rip all AC related parts out....just cap the wires and tuck it away. never got any codes running obd0

Back