B16a Or Ls/vtec ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sLoWgUy

Ok, so far ive been thinking about these two setups, I already have both bottom ends, i just dont know which one to build. As far a compression goes, both motors will yeild a 11.5:1 just because its gonna be daily driven. Both motors will be running eagle rods and SRP pistons. I know i can run higher compression but i dont know of any good tunners down here to do the tunning. I also want to know which would be most relaible. The B16A head already has type r valvetrain, ctr cams, pp and 3 angle valve job. I am willing to sacrifice Hp and torgue for realiability but do u guys think its worth it? Also what kinda HP numbers do u think these two setups would pull. If anyone has build anything like this let me know how it ran. I am actually leaning torward the b16a setup because of the R/S ratio...but as much as i have read on this forum, theirs not a lot of LS/Vtec haters. Any info would help....thanks

Definetly if i spelled it right, go with the LS/Vtec. I got LS/Vtec in my REX w/ Type R Pistons, Stock B16 Head, and ran a 13.5 on my street tires. LS/Vtec is the way to go.

ls/vtec....well i have one and its a great engine. i had to work alot of bugs out of it before it became a good motor. but now that its done that shit is fast. i have a similar set up to yours. i cant tell you the hp numbers yet. i still have to go to the dyno. but good luck with yours.

"ls/vtec for sure... just don't halfass it and it will be every bit as reliable as the b16."

What do u mean by halfass it? And what kinda bugs did you have to work out of it? Let me knw so i dont run into the same problems :lol:

Meaning don't be cheap with it. We have a pretty comprehensive parts list for the build in our faq, have a look at it.

ls/vtec is a damn good race motor yo!!!!!!!! but i say tha lil b16a if ur lookin 4 depnedability as well as daily driven capability and all!!!!!!!!! but if u want a billy bad azz drag motor ls/vtec all tha way!!!!!!! but yeah......it does come down 2 who tunes ur ride also!!!!!!! that is a big factor!!!!! but if u don't have a close and reliable tuner i say go w/ tha b16a.....even tho weaker but more reliable!!!!!!! but if u don't really care about nuhtin but smokin fools..........ls/vtec my brother!!!!!!! b/c 4 tha price and hp gain u get............ls/vtec is tha cheapest yet baddest engine u build 4 draggin yo!!!!!!! just some things 2 think about and my 2 cents u kno!!!!!! ;) :D B) :) :worthy:

bore and sleeve the b16 to 1.8+ liters. you'll keep the same r/s and have the assurance of a stronger block. you might as well balance and blueprint your whole rotating assembly while ur at it. never said anything about price so i just threw in my suggestion.

b16s can't really be bored to +1.8L, they will also have to be stroked. you can try to bore the cylinder to +86mm but you wont have much of a cylinder.

Well just so you guys know a little 1.6 can go a far way (look at my sig) but a 1.8 or even more displacement will go farther. I say go with the LsVtec in this case. Just make sure "like the posts above this one" you do it RIGHT. If the swap is done right then you will have no problems.
Make sure to use"
-vtec oil+water pump
-crank girdle
-vtec belt to match the vtec oil+water pumps
-ARP rod and head bolts
-shotpeened/aftermarket rods
-if keeping same bore go with oversized R pistons
-if you want to get nasty resleeve to 84.5, making is a 2liter
-replace with new bearings and seals and gaskets as well

The more precaution you take when building this motor the better. Do it right the first time with the right parts while the motor is apart and then more than likely you won't have to take it apart because of faulty parts later on.

Milan

Back