b16a pistons in b20a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hi all,

i have a b20a from an 85 accord and i read somewhere that b16a pistons will fit in but will they offer any peformance increase and would i need to make the engine stronger or anything like that?

thanks,
AleX

the b20a uses 81mm bore, just like the b16 does.
so, bore-wise, it shoudl fit. but you'll need to score some 95mm rods that fit the b16 pistons. i can't tell you if the stock rods will work or not.

Quoted post[/post]]
accord b20a stock rods have 95mm stroke i think. is this what the b16a pistons need to fit onto?
well, what he is saying is that you need to find some 95mm rods that the B16 pistons can fit onto because even tho the stock rods are 95mm, he's not sure if the B16 pistons will fit on them.

i found a brand new set of b16a pistons with rings and pins for 100 NZD might just get them and try. 100bucks aint much to me. if noone knows bout this then il just try and see wat happens.

If $100 ain't much to you, surely $1200 isn't...just buy a B20B or B20Z and put a VTEC head on it.

if those pistons bring the comp ratio to 10.5:1 this will smash one of those its going in a 87 civic hatchback!!! i dont have 1200 to spend. personally i dont like vtec and im out to smash the vtec ppl who think its all cool and the fastest and that sorta crap.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
if those pistons bring the comp ratio to 10.5:1 this will smash one of those its going in a 87 civic hatchback!!! i dont have 1200 to spend. personally i dont like vtec and im out to smash the vtec ppl who think its all cool and the fastest and that sorta crap.

You should off yourself. Now.

why are you suck a cock?

Quoted post[/post]]
il let u know and il be sure to take video of all the vtec's it will kill...

fuckin a. but beware the b20a isnt desirable at all. good luck with your build man.

b21a isnt good i am talking about JDM B20A from an accord not a prelude its suposed to be rated at 160hp. but yeah cheers il let u ppl kno if it all works and get some dyno charts and some 1/4mile times for you people when its in the civic.

Quoted post[/post]]
b21a isnt good i am talking about JDM B20A from an accord not a prelude its suposed to be rated at 160hp. but yeah cheers il let u ppl kno if it all works and get some dyno charts and some 1/4mile times for you people when its in the civic.

Not trying to knock your project, but a B20A is a B20A. they are all based off each other. The Early B20's were bastard B series. They werent backed by hardly any aftermarket. Like I've said twice before, good luck and be sure to report back to us.

Brian, don't push me.

To the original poster - that's great that you want to build a badass non-vtec, but you're really starting off from the wrong platform. Do you already have the B20A IN the car? If not, stop right there. The B20A isn't going to fit without a LOT of cutting/welding/custom fabrication. The B20A's mount completely different than any of the other B-series. In addition to that, because of their not-so-great rod/stroke ratio, they tend to be VERY unreliable above 7,000rpm. Back in the O.G. days, there was a handful of people who tried using the B20A crank in an LS block, and it had crazy midrange, but really wasn't good for anything other than towing a boat. Or a jet ski, maybe. In addition to all that, NOTHING from the B20A is interchangeable with other b-series stuff, except for the cam gears (and I'm not 100% sure about that). You're going to have a hell of a time finding parts, because the 85 Accord isn't usually at the top of the mass-produced aftermarket parts lists. AND you're gonna be stuck with the B20A transmission (as other B-series transmissions won't bolt up to the B20A block), which isn't exactly blessed with the best gearing.

So basically you're going to be stuck custom-fabbing just about EVERYTHING, which if you're on a limited budget, you aren't going to be able to do. I PROMISE you that you will be MUCH better off just picking up a B18B or B20B/Z from an Integra LS or a CRV and going from there. Either one of these would be a MUCH better choice for several reasons. Bolts directly up with stock mounts, a plethora of aftermarket support, and TONS of knowledge available online about them.

But, it's your call, man. I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll be much more successful in your 'eating of teh non-vtecs' with a B18B or B20Z/B than a B20A, but hey...it's your call.

i understand all that i know there will be a lot of custom fab i know people who can weld anything so no issue on the custom fabrication side. my mate had an accord with one of these b20as and it went hard even with a blown headgasket and it was stock. so all my probs with aftermarket parts and custom fab is solved so i dont need to worry about that also im not going for anything too extreme just something out of the ordinary and with that amont of torque the b20a has over a ZC i think its going to fly.
the only mods i think i will make are if b16a pistons fit i will do that higher compression ratio is the best way to get more power out of a n/a after that i will do extractors and 2.25inch exhaust maybe an aftermarket intake manifold(im sure b16/b18 fits) and a cold air intake. after all that it shud have enough balls to smash quite a few cars bearing in mind that the civic weighs around 800kg maybe a lil more with the bigger engine ect

btw the mounts are very close 2mounts i know of are very close or will require little modification to fit.

as u see from my perspective its very cheap to have a fast non vtec n/a car.

No, a b16/b18 intake manifold will NOT fit.

That's part of my point.

And any civic with ANY other B-series swap will stomp a B20A. Not necessarily because of the power, but because of the superior transmission gearing.

like i said i have people who can weld anything. chop the flange off the b20a and alloy weld to b16a runners but thats if i even need one.

iv heard that bellhouse chops and swaps have been done and as i said i have people that can weld anything for just about nothing so there is no problem there... how bout custom bellhousings? carbon fibre anyone will that work?

if theres a way to make it work il find it.

dude....

swapping the bell housing is asking for trouble.

i'm trying to help you out here...but if you want to be stubborn, go for it. hack your bell housing off and weld a new one on.

KEEP IN MIND YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER B-SERIES BLOCK TO GET THE BELLHOUSING FROM.

And no, a carbon fiber bell housing will NOT work.

hi,

just got this reply from another forum about running b16a pistons in a b20a

"You need to have the piston enlarged to accept the 22mm wristpin. That's what I did on my B20A and it works fine."

and i can confirm the the wristpin diameter on b16a pistons is 21mm

i have yet to pull apart the b18a block to see what size wrist pins it uses as all of today i was puttin my car together:D

might have enough time to look tomorrow at the b18a wristpin

anyone know the "correct way" of making the b16a pistons accept a 22mm wrist pin? just drill it out or what?

the ls has 21mm wrist pins as well. just iirc the small end of the con-rod is wider and has to be machined to fit into the piston. does that make sense?

Back