B16a problems (Ef)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK so before i had this motor in a DA and ran great, pulled to put in my ef hatch for a monster, so got it in did the wiring all correct car fired right up ran great hauled ass a lot more than the ls that was in it, going down the road the heater hose sprung a hole and sprayed coolant/water everywhere was only down block from house temp didn't get over half and ever since then when it gets to 5200 rpm where vtec hits it falls completely on its face almost like a rev limit but rev limit is set at 7200rpn why i don't know but i am getting ecu tuned to set at like 9k or none which is the way it came (pr3)
now i cant seem to figure out why it keeps falling on its face once it hits vtec i was thinking dizzy? maybe vtec sensor? everything is obd0 if that helps i just don't understand why its doing this some if anyone has some input is greatly appreciate it. :rimshot:

Last edited:
Was the coolant completely drained? If so, the gauge may not have been reading correctly and the head/block is warped; though you'd see other symptoms if that were the case.

Have you checked the ECU for any codes? If it feels like a rev limit, the ECU may be in limp mode(possibly caused by coolant getting on some of the sensors?).

No the coolant didn't drain all the way car doesn't over heat burn oil anything of that sorts runs great, but once it hits vtec it craps out. The ecu did go into limp mode after that ordeal but it reved out at 4500rpm unhooked battery for 10 mins and it reset? Maybe the issue started when ecu when in limp? No haven't had a chance to check the codes not really sure how to never have before. Just wish I had another ecu to test I do have a obd0 ls ecu would that run my b16 but with no vtec right?

Another question could I simply use my ls distributor so see if mine is bad? Also could the water that sprayed everywhere shorted out my vtec solenoid? Or presure sensor? This has my stumped I've been doing research and everything I come up with there has been no soulution to the problem but I'm still looking

OK update found and fixed problem i tried the ls ecu ran same did exact same thing, so i took off dizzy to see if there was anymore moister none but upon reinstalling car would start? i was like wth i was just driving it. so took cap back off only to discover that on the bottom wiring underneath the rotor were barely touching connect and one wasn't, plugged them back in crimped them a little fired right up no reline, so now i am stoked

kinda sounded like a distributor thing, glad you found a fix! weird shit happens all the time but its what keeps us going!

Back