b16a problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ive checked the spark plugs im checking compression the weekend coming up wires are new and that is rigt when i took it off and i did test it before i put it back on. Im going to check the fuel filter tommorrow and checking fuel pressure tommorrow im guessing its going to be timing i dont know how to do that though

and that is rigt when i took it off and i did test it before i put it back on.

What do you mean by this^^^? You need a timing light to check the timing. You can check to see if the cams and crank pulley line up at TDC, but without the light you will not be able to tell if the timing is right. I would suggest picking up a haynes manual, or downloading a helms manual. Both will have a description of how to check the timing. If you are not comfortable performing the tests then just take it somewhere. It should not cost very much to have your timing adjusted.

Get a haynes manual from autozone. It has the procedure for checking the timing. Plus it would be good to have around for future problems.

Ok timing fixed dizzy has a new cap and rotor. Now if you look at he picture of the whole engine on the intake manifold, the guy who had this car before me just a been idk dumb he screwed on the MAP sensor in the intake manifold! and there is a screw missing from the throttle body so air is entering in those places and making the car run like crap. So i need to get a whole new intake and throttle set up

Looks like you have a JDM throttle body and intake manifold. My old B16a swap came like that.
The nipple on the top of the TB (not the one going to the charcoal canister but the other one) is for the map.
In Japan....they had the map mounted to the firewall and the vacuum line went to that nipple on the TB.

I can see where the old owner put the map on the IM. I am not sure if that matters or not. I would think it does b/c the map is usually on the throttle body which may effect how it reads at idle :shrug2:

A USDM B-series throttle body will have the place for the map to mount on the top of the TB.
If you look at my B16a swap thread (bottom of my signature) you can see how I mounted mine (until I got a USDM TB).
I made a bracket to mount it near the fuel filter and ran a vacuum line to the TB. I had no issues.

I hope this is your issue.

Have you checked the TPS with a multimeter? Does it have rivets holding it on or 6-point screws or phillips scews?
Depending.....this could mean its USDM or JDM or has been replaced and maybe not calibrated correctly.

The TPS is new and i have not tested it with a voltimeter and it has 6 point screws but it seemed like it was the map sensor. I dont know you have more experiance in this than i do but when i unscrewed the MAP sensor out of the IM it would want to die

Ok timing fixed dizzy has a new cap and rotor. Now if you look at he picture of the whole engine on the intake manifold, the guy who had this car before me just a been idk dumb he screwed on the MAP sensor in the intake manifold! and there is a screw missing from the throttle body so air is entering in those places and making the car run like crap. So i need to get a whole new intake and throttle set up

The Map sensor is the first thing I was worried about when I saw the picture. There is a quick solution to this, but not permanent.

If this was my car, the first thing I would do:

1. Pull the code-How? I'm guessing you don't know. There is a service plug right by the ecu on the passenger side, stick a paper clip grounding both of them. If you have a codes it will blink. Count them fuckers and tell us what it is.

2. For a quick fix but not permanent on the Map sensor. I would take it off the manifold and put tiny amount of jb weld just for now to see if this would fix your issue. I would then run a tiny hose from the tb to the map sensor and just for now zip tie it somewhere.

3. Third I would check if all the sensors are properly connected.

This is what I would do if this is my car.:rolleyes:

Well i was recomened JB weld but i want to keep it clean and i want to keep that car for a while, i know it is more expensive to get the whole unit but it will be worth it. and i saw the pic CAFROG and i like how he did that but im looking a USDM intake that already has the MAP SENSOR on top of the throttle what would you guys recommend

You have a OBD1 car so finding a USDM OBD1 B16 IM is going to be more difficult. It will come off a 94-95 Del Sol VTEC (B16A3)

But you can find another JDM OBD1 IM easier. It will not have the evap purge solenoid (the one you got now don't have it either).

JB Weld would be fine though.....just you would probably want to take off the TB so you could get inside the IM and put some tape there so the JB weld cures flat (on the inside). Smooth out the top and it wont show that much at all. Give it at least 15-20 hours to cure.

Then do what I did on my old JDM B16A swap or get a USDM B-Series TB and put the MAP on it.

DO YOU HAVE ANY ENGINE CODES THAT NEED TO BE CHECKED?????

try your cat,timing, and tps honda will have to set ur tps if it has been adjusted

I think i put the TPS in fine now what i need to fix it the intake mainfold and find a screw that will fit in the throttle body or just get a new throttle body and new IM

Ok after i get all that fixed i still have one problem that is still pissing me off. THE BATTERY DOESNT HOLD A CHARGE! I have had two new batterys and they both crap out. every time i wanna start the car I have to jump in. What could it be..

Alternator needs to be taken to an auto parts store so they can check it

So you are saying you moved the map and put a new IM on???
Which led to the idle being normal???

Im replacing the IM and Throttle with a USDM IM and Throttle because when i put my fingers in the holes that were drilled in the manifold it worked it went down alot and they guy that was working on my car put a piece of cardboard in between the iacv and the intake? idk for what but im having a really hard time taking off the IM

There is a support bracket connecting the bottom of the back of the block to the bottom of the intake manifold.
Not sure if you're has one though. Its on there stock. Get to it from the bottom.

Other than that and the lower nuts connecting the IM to the head....it's stuff you can see from the top

The car is now idling and running normal??? Can you clarify?

Back