b16a runnin 12psi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplyfast

has anyone heard of someone runnin 12psi on 91 octane with a b16a with stock compression of 11:1?

the block has been decked .040, head has been decked .030, and its running oem replacement p30 pistons. no machine work to the rods/crank. head has been ported, exhaust has been matched, intake has been cleaned/matched, tb has been polished/matched. its runnin stock cams, with ferrea turbo valve train.

my question is, can this be done without suffereing severe detonation?

Sure it can, but ever think about snapping a rod, extreme pressure on the cylinder walls...can possibly cause cracking. If you don't mind shit breaking go for it

i wouldint recommend going over like 8 psi on stock compression. Just do yourself a favor and buy a cometic head gasket to drop compression a little and you should be fine running 12 psi with the proper tunning

i dont much like cometic head gaskets. i had one and it blew out b/w layers. shit blew when i was takin a 5.0 bustang on the freeway. after takin him to 120 hard and fast, i looked down at my gauges and i was cookin. i prefer oem head gaksets, only oem head gaskets.

i think youre right, maybe 10psi will be suffecient. course, maybe i can drop in ctr pistons, raise my compression to 12.2:1, and run the boost down to 6 or 7 psi.

Generally 12.2:1 compression is too high for turbo applications. For example: Ls engines are good for turbo because they have around 9:1 compression.

yeah, but the problem with boosting a low compression engine is lag. if you are only gonna boost a 9:1 engine 10 psi, you might as well go for higher compression pistons. if you run an engine with higher compression, like 12:1, you can run lower boost reducing any lag you might have encountered if you ran lower compression/higher boost. i can run a 11:1/10psi engine that will make just as much power as an engine running 9:1/16psi. the only difference is mine is gonna spool up quicker cause it has less boost to build.

high boost numbers are for braggin, a dick size contest if you will.

a world speed record holder ran 12 psi on an engine that was 12:1. now i know his engine was built for that sole purpose, as mine wouldnt be. but its all relative. if i can run lower boost on a higher compression engine, it will be more effecient. thats how he set a land speed record, he found the most effecient way to make hp.

i love f1. why? cause they are effecient.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 6 2003, 04:39 PM

i love f1. why? cause they are effecient.

I love em too but we all know they would be running 25+ lbs. of boost if the rules allowed it. :D and yes they would still find a way to run over 10:1

yeah, f1 would be runnin boost if the rules allowed it. honda designed/ran a one liter engine that churned out 1300hp. and they would run 25+psi on 10:1 compression cause they would use overlap to their advantage, but just enough as to not create enough wash.
honda ended the year at suzuka, their home track, with an engine that revved to 19k and put down 850hp to the rear slicks.

Ahhh.... F1. Back in the late-80s to early-90s Honda's ruled ALL. 1.6L (or something tiny like that) with turbocharged power creating 1300+ hp. Disgusting really.

But to the real question. My bro has run 18 psi for an entire year on a stock bottom end B16A. The cams are stock but the valvetrain is now Ferrea and the headgasket dropped the compression. 18 psi for a YEAR. Fairly impressive. Not one broken part.

wow....and that engine is famous but was before boost limits were set

thank you jesus christ. one person who knows their shit, one fuckin person. the rest of ya'll can take a seat and grab your notepad, preparing yourself for school!

it aint a muthafuckin thang to boost a b16 on stock guts! its guts are good for 500hp if you are educated...punk! :fuckyou:

ive run 12psi with ferrea valve train, oem cam and oem gasket. soon i will be boostin again.

12 psi SO VERY POSSIBLE on a stock b16a
It's not even Funny how many FULL OF SHIT Ricers think they know how to tune engines.
I'ts all about cylinder pressure, Temp, and Timing

High compression with low boost Is the way to go!!!!!!!
It's all about efficency

Sure it can, but ever think about snapping a rod, extreme pressure on the cylinder walls...can possibly cause cracking. If you don't mind shit breaking go for it

:werd: :ditto:

its all about having an ecu that is completely programmable, and someone who knows how to program it.

you can also have an msd 6btm ignition, but an ecu is the better choice cause the stock ignition is plenty fine.

now im not so good i know how to program, but i have a buddy who does. so in a short while, once he sits down and schools me, ill be able to school some on here.

IF your worried about breaking rods with 12 psi in a b16a then you have NO CLUE what you are Doing. There are job openings at Pepboys for people just like you!

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 6 2003, 09:25 PM
has anyone heard of someone runnin 12psi on 91 octane with a b16a with stock compression of 11:1?

B16A's have a 10.2 and 10.4:1 compression.

it aint a muthafuckin thang to boost a b16 on stock guts! its guts are good for 500hp if you are educated

The crank maybe. :roll:

I love all the psi this and psi that. Psi is a relitive term. It all depends on the turbo your running. You could run a bigger turbo at a lower psi and still push the same amount of air as a smaller turbo running a higher psi. Its all about the turbo you pick and its efficiency range. Throwing psi around is just a ricer way to brag to people who dont know.

Originally posted by B18aCRX@Dec 6 2003, 04:30 PM
Generally 12.2:1 compression is too high for turbo applications. For example: Ls engines are good for turbo because they have around 9:1 compression.

good point - if anything dude, make your compression at 10:0 to be safe.

Even if you were to run 6psi at 12.2 compession you would need 12$/gallon gas.

Originally posted by Spun 4 Fun@Dec 12 2003, 01:22 PM
IF your worried about breaking rods with 12 psi in a b16a then you have NO CLUE what you are Doing. There are job openings at Pepboys for people just like you!

hey man, chill - there were job openings at Pep Boyz for all of us at one time.

this is the sole reason im runnin 10psi on stock b18c5 instead of 20 on a built b18c5 high compression with good tuning pulls out crazy numbers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back