1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B16A S4C tranny GSR 5th gear

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by CRAZYEG9, May 13, 2005.

1. CRAZYEG9

CRAZYEG9 Senior Member

What do you guys think about this set-up, because I see alot of people doing the LS 5th setup but I have a feeling your RPMs will drop too low with the LS tranny. From 8000rpms the GSR drops you to 5687rpms in 5th and the LS drops you to 5160rpms. Stock B16 drops you to 6128rpms Anybody that has felt either setup please explain how it feels

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

The B16 tranny will feel like it's revving higher to hold the same speed.

At 72 mph I'm holding about 4000-4100ish rpm in 5th gear, I don't really like that.

What does this pertain to, are you asking what you should do for better gas mileage on the highway or what?

3. CRAZYEG9

CRAZYEG9 Senior Member

I'm asking what people will feel about the GSR 5th in a B16 tranny, instead of the LS 5th like most people do. I'm also asking if people have felt either set-up. I'm not asking about the stock B16 tranny as in your case cause I already know how that feels. My question is more for the Hybrid tranny.

4. CRAZYEG9

CRAZYEG9 Senior Member

I know the LS will give the best gas milage but I do want some pep when I switch from 4th to 5th, and I'm afraid the LS 5th might drop tolow for that pep.

5. jamesA

Gotcha. I had a hard time trying to decipher exactly what you were asking. I've felt the LS tranny in 5th gear at 80 mph. It just feels like a lower RPM.

Really, you shouldn't actually need the pep in 5th gear. The powerband is just a drop to 4th away. The GSR 5th will wind out faster than the LS in any final.

6. CRAZYEG9

CRAZYEG9 Senior Member

Na brah I'm not asking about stock trannies, I'm asking about hybrid trannies. B16 with an LS 5th or GSR 5th. How does it feel when you switch from 4th to 5th with these set-ups

7. jamesA

I knew that. :p

With the numbers you gave it should give you a hint... the LS will feel more sluggish since you drop more RPMs. But as for how it physically feels, I don't know.

8. CRAZYEG9

CRAZYEG9 Senior Member

Thanks, anyone know how it physically feels? and what motor was the tranny bolted to when you felt either hybrid set-up?

9. CRAZYEG9

CRAZYEG9 Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted