B16A (SiR-II) or D16Z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16DelSol

OK,:mellow: so i have a 93' honda del sol and i've got 2.5 grand to spend on gettin a new engine for it because my old engine has gone out. I have narrowed it down to 2 different engines. Either the original engine which is the D16Z6 or the B16A. I have been reading about the pro's and cons of both such as price, hp, etc. I realize that the D16 has no where near the hp as the B16, but that can be made up in mods such as new headers, air intake, and things of that such. The main thing i'm worried about is if i go to drop a B16 down in there, am i going to be spendin another grand just to make it run? or will should the engine mount straight in? i realize that the possibility of it mounting straight in won't be very likely but i was wonderin about how much more it would cost for me to make it work. I am looking for somethin that also isn't gonna take me 2 weeks to do cuz i got school startin back up within the month. so if there is anyone who has done this swap or knows the outcome plz lemme know what i'm gettin myself into. thx

ya i was wantin the B16 just cuz the more HP and all... but my dad, who is gonna be helpin me do mosta the work thinks i should get the D16 cuz he said it'll be an easier swap, but if Motor mounts are all we're gonna need i'm definately gonna go with the B16. thx

You won't be happy with a D16Z6 with I/H/E, you're still at about 150 bhp with all 3 mods. You will also need a B Series Del Sol shift linkage for the transmission.

Ok, the engine that i am planning on getting is from hmotorsonline.com which from what i have seen around this site, seems to be pretty popular. This is everything that comes with it (which you've probably seen this list all over but here it is anyway ) :huh:

B16A 92-95 (SiR-II) Complete Change Over
- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S21, Y21)
- ECU (P30)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed

OK, the motor mounts it comes with, i'm guessing aren't for the Vtec DelSol? and would the shift linkage work too, or would i have to get a different one also? sorry about bein such a hassle with this, i know, i'm a noob :(

I think you will need a DEL SOL dohc vtec shiftlinkage, but a combination between the mounts and brackets from your car, and the ones included with the swap should be just fine.

+1 on the del sol VTEC shift linkage..

y couldnt he use the shift linkages that comes with the motor? i installed a integra tranny and a b20 in my hatch and used the shift linkages that came ith the engie and tranny. it will be the same as doin a b series swap in a civic or a hatch. use the mounts the bolt to the b series with the mounts that bolt to your frame. other then the top left mount use the whole b series one.

IF you are just looking for the same hp and a little more tq than a b16 and keep it that way, then keep the D. a couple issues back in honda tuning mag they did a HP and cost comparison between a b16 swap(2.5k + labor) or a d16 with some mods.... lets just say the they got 2.2hp and 9lbs Tq more than a b16..

the bought a used skunk IM used 68mm TB, pm7 pistons used cheap header. no p&p or cam. tuned on the dyno

i bet with a cam and some DIY ITBs youll love the car and youll have spare cash...plus d series are cheap and like boost

ya,I am really interested in the B series tho, it just seems to me that there are more mods for it and it's easier to get HP, especially when u start out with 170. My dad and I just found a site where i can buy a B16A2 with 170 hp for only $1750(osakajdmmotors.com). We contacted them and they told us they could send me everything i would need to swap the engine into my 93 del sol and with the shipping and handling the price would only be $2250 ^_^. For right now my price limit is 2.5 thousand and this is cuttin it pretty close, but when i get more money in the future i'll add more mods to the engine. Thx everyone for your help

So you are saying that the D16 is better for boosting than a B16a2? Is that because you would have to put more money in the B16 to get it to handle boost?

stay away from OSUCKA unless u r going to pick it up. if you get it from hmotorsonline.com ask steve for del sol linkage he will prbably hook you up, personally I would not order a swap from anywhere but HMO, IMHO they are the best. Also if you can't get the linkage with the swap, there is a guy on honda-tech selling del sol linkage.

gl

go with the b16, i bought the same one from hmotors last summer. and i have had no issues besides the clutch.(which i should have replaced when i got the new motor) and if you get the full swap it will come with the right mounts and the right shift linkage. you may have to get the bushing for it but they are like $12 on ebay. and you should replace the timing belt(because of sitting so long) you will hate yourself it you go with the d16, my buddy bought mine, put it in a CX hatch and i still walk all over him. and im in a fat EJ.

B16 all the way.

93civicsir said:
go with the b16, i bought the same one from hmotors last summer. and i have had no issues besides the clutch.(which i should have replaced when i got the new motor) and if you get the full swap it will come with the right mounts and the right shift linkage. you may have to get the bushing for it but they are like $12 on ebay. and you should replace the timing belt(because of sitting so long) you will hate yourself it you go with the d16, my buddy bought mine, put it in a CX hatch and i still walk all over him. and im in a fat EJ.

B16 all the way.
w3rd.. I have an sir II swap in my ej and a buddy of mine rocks a gutted dx hatch with a jdm d15 swap on i/h/e and I walk on that kid all day long too. If you are looking to go fast then go b series. I'd rock a fully built d series with hi comp pistons and a huge cam but then you have to worry about tunning and your gas mileage will start to go out the window. b16 with a set of mild cams and i/h/e will get you along ways (dont expect any better than 14's on that kind of setup though).

You can blow all your money on a stock B series swap, or you could simply drop a VTEC head on your stock motor, plug in a VTEC ECU, and then spend the rest on a turbo. A turbo D series will walk a B16. If you already have a D16Z6, you could rebuild it with the turbo in mind. At the least you'll want a metal headgasket that brings the compression down, and some ARP head studs. Edelbrock makes a good turbo kit but you'll have to save up a little longer. On the other hand, people have put together their own turbo kits for around a grand.

First question to ask yourself... is this your daily driver?? If so boosting a daily driven vehicle isn't the brightest of ideas unless you have another vehicle if your big bad boosted d blows up lol. "A turbo d series will walk on a b series"... true BUT a boosted b series will make your boosted d series look like a geo metro in traffic. I dont care what anyone says about the great big "D"... they are cheap to replace and there is a reason for that. You can build your little d series all you want but by the time you get into 15+psi you will have spent just as much money on internals as you would with the b series. What's the disadvantage to a b series swap... you have to spend money on ONE extra cam if you upgrade WOW. I think for that kind of money I would invest in a b, have the tunabilty of two cams and a vtec system that you actually know engages. You could always be a flamer and install the vtec light for your d series so you know when it activates LOL.

i love high revving motors.. thats why i say B16.. i used to drive a CRX si.. it was fun and all , but since i went witha b16 i cant go any lower.. it'll better as i go along.. no downgrading for me

Back