b16a sir2 into em1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

impaktem1

i recently bought an em1 with a blown motor.
i picked up a complete sir2 swap pretty cheap..
what is all needed to complete this swap and it be headache free..?
considering the b16a is an obd1 motor and my car is obd2, what would i need to do to retain obd2 and keep using the p2t ecu..?
can't switch to obd1 because of emission testing here in tx..
i know the jdm motors dont have the crank sensor, but aside from that (which can be fixed), what else would i need..?

my friend has this exact swap but runs like complete crap..

what's 'blown' on it? what's all broken on the old motor specificly?

if the head is ok, you could swap it over to the OBD1 block, and do the wiring trick for the crank angle sensor.

i have a B16A SiR-II in my EJ8. so you could say it's the 'exact same swap' as well. but mine runs pretty good. minor issues hopefully after this winter's maintence and upgrades should fix. i'm OBD1 now tho.

Last edited:
Im looking to do the same swap. Mine is a 00 Si with a fading motor, and plan on using a Sir-II b16 in its place, until my USDM motor is fixed.

What I have found out is swap Intake Manifold w/ TB, use the OBD-II injectors, the OBD2 Dizzy, you can swapin the Oil Pump from the USDM motor so you have the sensor, or do the above trick that invloes spliceing a few wires together, do a search

Now if you are trying to make this a leagal swap and have to worry about emmissions. You can never make a older motor pass in a newer car, now the emmission guy really needs to know his stuff, but you may run into probs in regars of emmissions. I am not worried about smog here in Cali, cuase by the time I will have to smog my car I will have the USDM motor back in.
The only way I think they know the year of your motor is from the stamp on the head, so you can swap on your USDM head (given it is good condition), and I dont think they can tell the year of motor (I could be wrong do to vin #s)

Back