B16a skunk2 stage 1 cams problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xces

i dont kno if im missing something... i just recently put in some skunk 2 stage 1 camshafts with skunk2 camgears.... the car wont idle right...it flucuates from 150 to 500 somtimes jus dies out..... when driving it feels sluggish, loses power when VTEC kicks in.... :mad: its just isnt right.... i checked my timing its prefect.... my cam gears are set at 0 havent moved them. i had to turn out my idle screw so it can at least stay alive..... am i missing something? let me know thanks do i need to upgrade fuel delivery? im stuck

89 hatch
b16a OBD0
skunk2 intake manifold
skunk2 camshafts stage 1
skunk2 camgears

thats all i have for it right now thanks

Last edited:
sounds like it needs some tuning. more fuel. i had the same problem with my stage 2's

so u recommend upgrading tha fuel rail and pressure regulator? or is this a different problem im lookin at?

upgrading your fuel delivery won't help. Do you have the Stage 1's? or do you have the Stage 1 Pro-series cams? because I know with the pro-series ones, even the stage 1's, you need to get tuned. The regular stage 1's you should be able to run with no problem as long as your timing is correct.

How did you set your timing? I just asking so I know if you are doing it right and I am talking about mechanically in time, not your ignition timing.

its the PRO SERIES STAGE 1 camshafts.... well i put it on TDC white mark on tha crank shaft. Then the marks on the cam gears pointing UP and they have a side mark so i lined those up as well so they are pefectly lined up. tightned the timing belt... cranked by hand 3 times and they lined up. put everything back the cam gears are at 0. jump the wire so the ECU does not adjust the timing and it runs rough i have to give it a little throttle to keep it running but it just doesnt seem right. once 2000 and up it sounds normal so wen i drive it like i said its sluggish and VTEC is just horrible losing power.

so wat would i need to do to get the proseries to work?
i talked to skunk2 they say to get a fuel and vtec controller i've never used one so i dont know how they set up. whats a good controller out? thanks guys.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with the pro series cams but I do know they require tuning to idle correctly. Get on the dyno and put those cam gears to use and tell your tuner to start making some adjustments. Also, the way you say your car is running leads me to believe that you are over-cammed with the pro series cams because your compression isn't high enough. Unless you plan on upping your comp ratio, i'd suggest either getting on the dyno and see what your tuner can do for you or just
sell those cams and buy a set of ITR or CTR cams. Plus you'll have some money left over to get a full tank of gas, buy some weed, get a hooker, or what ever else you like...

alright thanks for the input.... ima see wut tuning it can do for me since i already got them in.... ill take the gas and the weed but i never pay for tha oyster haha

lol. i knew it had something to do with tuning. especially when vtec sounds sluggish. i was very dissapointed with my stage2's at first. once i got it tuned with crome. it made a world of a difference.

good luck

Back