b16a stumbling issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikey bottles

Prof. Bottles
allright so ive done quite a bit of searching and cant find anything that really matches my prob. i have an 88' Rex with a B16a OBD-0... the car seems to stumble under a load in all gears, from a stop or accelerating from a constant speed, usually at lower rpm's, and it will also stumble a tiny bit while cruising at a constant speed (and you can hear little 'pops' coming from the exhaust), and it only does it when the weather is warm!! i currently have no CEL on, rechecked the timing, and spark plug gaps today, replaced the distributor cap, and rotor this past tuesday, and the ignition wires are only about 6 or 7 months old, and do not show any signs of arcing or any of that. ive been as thorough as i can trying to describe the prob so hopefully someone here can help me out:confused:

my obd1 b16 does that sometimes too, depending on temps it seems. idk i keep thinking it's going to be my injectors, but i havnt got around to putting others in. resistance measures good. but that doesnt mean they're fine... o but i also get 114% duty cycle as stated by hondata (duty cycle for the injectors). that's not right..

could be your problem too

Last edited:
exhaust doesnt smoke at all... i suppose it could by my injectors... they came with the motor.. ill have to test them on my next day off.

well if it's an obd0, it's got two O2 sensors. when you get the two of them switched, b16's of this era like to exhibit all sorts of little quirks. try switching the two plugs and see if that helps. they're in the back of the exhaust manifold that comes right off the head.

Have you replaced your fuel filter? I'm trying to think positive and hope it is not your injectors, though it does make sense that it might be them. Still, if you haven't, replacing it first might be a good idea. Plugs and wires as well. Ah heck, just keep us updated and what the problem ends up being. I hope you are able to find a solution soon. Best of luck.

i put the car on the road about 6 mo ago, right before i put it on the road i replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump (255lph), plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, timing belt, and water pump, i have a spare dizzy here im going to try to swap in and see if maybe thats the prob, i know some hondas are known for them, and one of the symptoms of the car breaking up under a load... so we'll see... ill def keep yous posted!

well on my way to work this morning, the prob got bad enough that it popped the CEL, was throwing a TPS code so grabbed my multimeter to start checkin it out, and as i grabbed the yellow wire (5v constant wire) it came apart from its connection (i had to put a new plug on a few months ago bc there wasnt one on the harness when i got it)... so needles to say i got everything reconnected, no more cel and so far no more stumbling or any of that junk... gonna solder the connections tomorrow when i get back to work!!!

Back