B16a swap into a 1990 Civic DX...Kinda (Help out a new guy!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Krisco65

hey everyone. I have a 1990 Civic dx with the "wonderful" d15 in it. It has 220k miles on it and its smoking. Time for a rebuild. However I managed to get my hands on a b16a block and crank. I have never built a motor before but I have done just about everything else mechanical. I have the block and an engine stand and not sure where to go from here. So heres goals etc:

The car will be a non street legal drag only car. As in trailed into and out of the track so legality isnt an issue.

I dont have ANY experience with vtec.

I would after one race season like to boost it.

I have a build budget of around $1500

Horpsepower and torque dont really matter, I just want something better than the stock b16 power and reliability so i can get alot of passes down the track in it.

I dont know what books and or tools I will need along with what ecu and wiring I will need. So I am asking for guidance in building this motor and then swapping it into my civic. Thanks :)

Also I am in san diego so if anyone would like to come over I always have a fridge full of beer :) Send me a pm. Thanks

well, if all you have is a block and crank then your budget of 1500 just went down the toilet... you will need
-ecu=100
-mounts=250
-shift linkage-125
-head for your engine-? 200?
-pistons/rods other misc parts for engine-700-1000
-b16 transmission-500+ (depends if you want lsd or not)
-axles-150
and this is all just a far fetched estimate you might pay more/less for stuff if you get deals or not, but your way over your budget, and im also counting on the fact that you can do all the work by yourself, oh and add the price of tools that you dont have in there also.

Back