b16a swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4g4d4u

i just picked up a obd0 b16a. i have just the motor and trans. nothing is on the motor, ie alternator, distributor etc. i also have the intake manifold, tb, and exhaust manifold. im going to put it into a crx dx. i need to know if i can use the engine components from the d15 on the b16 or do i need to source other parts for it. a friend tells me i can use the d parts but im really not feeling too confident in that and would just like to set the record straight. if i do need to get other parts for it what would be the cheapest route to go? im assuming parts off a b18?

You need to do a little research. Search "B16 swap" and the like in this website and Honda-tech.com.

You need to convert your harness to Multi-Point Fuel Injection, or MPFI.
In general you'll only need this stuff for the swap:

MPFI harness.- You need 4 injecters. lol.
ECU- PR3 or PW0
ECU Harness adapter- Your car is obd-0. You'll be obd-1 with the new ECU. Boomslang Fabrication - Wire Harnesses for Fine Automobiles carries the obd0 to obd1 harness' for a great price. It comes with the 4 wires VTEC, Kock Sensor, and IAB(secondary intake sensor) wires, as well as the 4 wires for the o2 sensor
Axles- 90-93 integra axles and intermediate shaft.
Mount Kit- Our cars are designed for D series motors. Hasport is the leader in mount kits, and as such, they are they most expensive.
Shift Linkage- Once again Hasport makes custom linkages. You can bend DA linkage(90-93 Integra) to fit, depending on your fab skills. (it's not that hard)

That should get you started.
LMK if you need anything else.
And do some researching!! Haha.
GL mang

-Andrew

hey thanks for the help. to defend myself for a little bit about searching i did do pleanty of searching and pleanty of info on the parts to make the b16 fit and work. i just wanted to know if the components for the d that actually bolted to the engine, like dizzy and alternator starter all that stuff would work on the b16. from what i gathered in your response all of that stuff will be fine the only things i need are the linkage, mounts wire up the pgmfi along with vtec wires? also you say i need to get a jumper harness for obd1. i have the obd0 b16 why would i need to convert my car to obd1 to use it?

Whoops.. If your running obd0(with an obd0 ecu obviously), you don't need to do anything.. it's just plug n play.. my bad.

yeah, a big general rule of thumb is that D series bolts to D series. B series to B.

Thats not correct.

You will still need to convert to MPFI even when starting with an obd0 car. Since your crx is a DX, it only had DPFI (meaning 2 injectors). There are a few wires you'll need to add to your harness in order to run the extra 2 injectors the b16 requires. There is no reason to switch over to obd1 unless you want to use a specific ECU (like Hondata or another tuning ecu). If your motor is stock, stick with a stock PW0 or PR3 ecu.

Also, as a rule of thumb, d-series parts can't be used on b-series motors. I'm sure there's some cross over, but 99.99% of the time you can count on them not working.

Andrew said:
You need to convert your harness to Multi-Point Fuel Injection, or MPFI.
MPFI harness.- You need 4 injecters. lol.

Hopefully he wasnt confused.
Thanks for backing me up Citizen!

Back