B16a swap. Turns over/ wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think its the dizzy. Can you tell us how you checked for spark?
$115 wasted on distributor parts too. BRAND NEW cap, BRAND NEW rotor, BRAND NEW ignition coil. When I checked for spark I pulled each spark plug wire and pulled back the end that goes on the spark plug. Then taped the spark plug wire down 1/4 inch away from a bolt that was screwed into solid metal. All 4 wires had spark. I dont know if it was enough spark to start but I saw spark from all 4 wires. The coil, cap, rotor, spark plugs and spark plug wires are brand new so I would think that the amount of spark I saw would be enough to start.

Ok...so there's spark at the end of the spark plug wires for sure. And you have gas coming from the pump. Starter turns the motor over, Motor turns over by hand too? Maybe you should research fuel injectors and maybe have yours calibrated? I don't know, man....just trying to help.

Maybe turn it over for a while and then take a plug out to smell for gas in the cylinders?

Timing belt new? If so...check to see if cams are in sync with the crank. Take #1 Spark plug out and gently place a long flat head screwdriver into the cylinder until it touches the piston. Manually crank the motor over until screwdriver is at its highest point...then check the cam gears location.

Could the Dizzy be 180 degrees out? Hard to do but possible.

what exacly did u do to bypass resister box just a thought fuel injectors maybe not firing i am running the jdm p30 on mine as well and as far as dizzy its imossible to put in wrong only goes one way

oh one more thing check your sensor grounds on thermastat housing there should be ground loop with a few wires on it that ground there

what exacly did u do to bypass resister box just a thought fuel injectors maybe not firing i am running the jdm p30 on mine as well and as far as dizzy its imossible to put in wrong only goes one way
I removed the resistor box. The connector that the resistor box plugged into is left unplugged.

Ok...so there's spark at the end of the spark plug wires for sure. And you have gas coming from the pump. Starter turns the motor over, Motor turns over by hand too? Maybe you should research fuel injectors and maybe have yours calibrated? I don't know, man....just trying to help.

Maybe turn it over for a while and then take a plug out to smell for gas in the cylinders?

Timing belt new? If so...check to see if cams are in sync with the crank. Take #1 Spark plug out and gently place a long flat head screwdriver into the cylinder until it touches the piston. Manually crank the motor over until screwdriver is at its highest point...then check the cam gears location.

Could the Dizzy be 180 degrees out? Hard to do but possible.
I checked the timing twice. The up mark on both cams are pointing straight up (12 oclock position), and the other pointer on both cams are lined up facing each other, and the line on the crank sprocket is lined up with the line on the oil pump. The rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug hole on the dizzy cap when the #1 cylinder is at tdc.

thats your problem to bypass resister box u have to wire all the yellow wires to the red wire the red wire powers the resister box the yellow wires in turn go to the 4 injectores at a dif voltage just take all 4 yellows and wire to the red wire and it will start problem solved bro let me know if it works

thats the problem bro u have to cut resister box plug off harness twist the 4 red wires together and wire them to the red wire and u willl get power to your injecters let me know

thats the problem bro u have to cut resister box plug off harness twist the 4 red wires together and wire them to the red wire and u willl get power to your injecters let me know

On my car the obd1 injector plugs have 4 yellow wires with a black line. On the harness that goes to the resistor box there are 4 red wires with a black line. So you're saying In order to bypass the resistor box the 4 yellow wires with the black line on the obd1 injector plugs must be connected together? Then connected to the red wire from the stock harness? The red wire from the stock harness is going directly to injector plug #2. If I connect it this way then injector #2 will be getting power on both wires. I have the other wires on the injector plugs connected to the wires that are the same color on the stock harness. The harness that plugs into the resistor box has 4 wires. They are red with a black line. Are these 4 wires supposed to be left disconnected?

Last edited:
pull your fuel rail with injectors and turn it over and see if they are firing.

On my car the obd1 injector plugs have 4 yellow wires with a black line. On the harness that goes to the resistor box there are 4 red wires with a black line. So you're saying In order to bypass the resistor box the 4 yellow wires with the black line on the obd1 injector plugs must be connected together? Then connected to the red wire from the stock harness? The red wire from the stock harness is going directly to injector plug #2. If I connect it this way then injector #2 will be getting power on both wires. I have the other wires on the injector plugs connected to the wires that are the same color on the stock harness. The harness that plugs into the resistor box has 4 wires. They are red with a black line. Are these 4 wires supposed to be left disconnected?

"Optional if using obd1 injector clips and obd1 injectors"

inst_0to1jumper.gif

IT WORKED!!!!!! It was actually the 4 yellow wires with a black line from the injectors wired to the yellow wire with a black line from the wire harness that went to the resistor box. I finally got my hands on the right ecu (P30). It came in today. I plugged the ecu in then connected the 5 injector wires and it started up on the 1st try. The throttle cable was too tight so it was at full throttle when it started. I looked around and seen neighbors running outside too see what the hell was going on. I shut it off right away and adjusted the throttle cable and now it's running:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Last edited:
I just got back in from driving it for the 1st time. I got a big scare when I was trying to back out of the driveway. I put it in reverse and it didn't want to move. at 1st I thought my clutch or transmission wasn't working. My heart dropped to the ground. The car was in reverse, e-brake down, car reving and not moving:eek: Then i realized that the car hasn't moved or been driven in a year. The brake pads were sticking to the rotors from sitting so long. I put the car in 1st gear and went foward and back about 8 times and the pads loosened up. Then I got the car out on the road and it drove great. I got two ecu codes. Code 17 vehicle speed sensor, and code 23 knock sensor. I fixed the speed sensor problem right away. The speedometer cable wasn't plugged into the tranny all the way. Now I have to run a wire from my knock sensor to the ecu. I drove around and put 57 miles on it trying to break it in:cool:

im actually having the same problem i just put in a b16 in my 93 civic coupe and my engine turns over i smell gas im not getting spark though and the car wont start it seems like the gound can anyone tell me all the grounds i need and maybe help me further

did you splice the five wires at the resistor box plug together? should be 4 red/black one from each injector, and 1 yellow/black wire from the ecu, splice all five wires into one.

$115 wasted on distributor parts too. BRAND NEW cap, BRAND NEW rotor, BRAND NEW ignition coil. When I checked for spark I pulled each spark plug wire and pulled back the end that goes on the spark plug. Then taped the spark plug wire down 1/4 inch away from a bolt that was screwed into solid metal. All 4 wires had spark. I dont know if it was enough spark to start but I saw spark from all 4 wires. The coil, cap, rotor, spark plugs and spark plug wires are brand new so I would think that the amount of spark I saw would be enough to start.

Epic Fail

A. Don't copy what someone else posts to make yourself look smart.
B. If you DO try to copy what someone else posts don't copy it word for word cuz then you get the opposite of looking smart
C. He clearly got it running as stated in post #35
D. the thread is obviously dead, the last time the thread starter posted was 7 months ago

Epic Fail

Last edited:
Back