B16A Timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXcamaro

I have a 91 CRX with B16A conversion. Everything worked fine until it threw a rod, I had the short block and head rebuilt and I reinstalled it. I have fuel, and I have spark. I thought I set the timing right. Maybe I didnt. How do I set the timing on an dual overhead cam car?

same way you do on any car. by the distributor. turn towards the retard (mechanic/you) to retard the timing, towards the firewall to advance it.

try advancing all the way and the reseting the timing after you get it started. It might also be an air flow problem. might wanna try opening the idle screw too.

same way you do on any car. by the distributor. turn towards the retard (mechanic/you) to retard the timing, towards the firewall to advance it.

try advancing all the way and the reseting the timing after you get it started. It might also be an air flow problem. might wanna try opening the idle screw too.

So, after it is started, yes it is currently retarded all the way on the distributor, and it runs but not right, reset the timing again by finding TDC, then settup the cams again? Will this center my distributor giving me more room for retard/advance?

make sure the tdc mark on the cam gears and the crank pully are both straight up, put on the timing belt, then set the timing for +16 degrees. youll be good to go.

make sure the tdc mark on the cam gears and the crank pully are both straight up, put on the timing belt, then set the timing for +16 degrees. youll be good to go.

There isnt a mark on the stock pulley, so is it the same if I pull a spark plug and use a screwdirver on top of the #1 piston to find its highest point, then point on the cams gears up? Also, I dont have a timing pointer, so how do I tell what the timing is set at?

Thanks

wow that is super weird......i dont know what to say to that...the screwdriver thing works for tdc though.

wow that is super weird......i dont know what to say to that...the screwdriver thing works for tdc though.

Well, I was thinking about an aftermarket underdrive crank pulley anyways so hopefully it has the timing mark. I'll give all that a try, thanks alot for your help..

Back