b16a turbo or ls turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotorbeast

im planning on going turbo on my 99 civic coupe, but i dunno should i go with a b16a turbo or a ls non-vtec turbo. im probably going with a t3 turbo because i think t3/t4 is alittle too big and beside i dont think imma push over 300 hp for a daily driven car. t3 spools up a lot quicker and my goal is to push around 210-250 hp at the wheel. at the moment, im probably just going to turbo it stock, but later imma built up the block. maybe resleeve it and get some rods then ill boost alittle more, but my question which is better for a turbo set up.

keep in mind that if i built a b16a block and resleeve(which will become a b18) and do the same for the(which will become a b20) , which will produce more power and is better.

if you're after 250 horse, don't waste your momey sleeving.

a sleeved b16 does not become a b18. the deck height and internal geometry is all off, even if it does displace 1.8L now.

also, with your, frankly, low goal, its really worthless to spend thousands of dollars on building a motor and boring it out, and sleeving it.

LS swap
GSR tranny
straight t3 .63 a/r
9 psi
hondata dyno tuned

you will hit your goal

I would go with what pissedoff said it would be best with the
ls swap
GSR tranny
T3 .63 a/r
Intercooled
i would run 7-10 psi depends on you fmu

Definatly don't worry about sleeving, Bseries sleeves will hold the power goal you are shooting for, but if you worried about spooling a T3T4 do some minor head work & port matching Nothing Overkill!!! Raising the velocity flow in your ports and runners should speed up spool time.

Professional Turbo Mapping

It would be better for all of you to educate yourself about turbo building. The T3 would spool up very fast but you would loose power at the top end and only be dependant upon what the engine can put out at that time. If you want to do it right and pick the right turbo for you application then you need to do simple math equation and figure out the CFM of the motor first. After you do so then you need to map out the turbo. You can do this by downloading turbo maps off of the numerous turbo manufacturers web sites.

An example would be this.

CFM = Cubic Feet Per Minute of the engine
Boost = Psi + Atmospheric Press. / Atmospheric Press.
Engine Efficientcy = Stock engine usually 90% = 0.90
Top RPM Power = Max power made and what RPM
CID = Cubic Inch Displacement = Liters x 61

Basic B16A CFM
Lets just say that max power was made at 6000 RPM and you want to boost 10 PSI on a stock engine. Here is the math.

97.6CID x 6000 RPM x .90 Efficientcy x 1.68 PSI Ratio =
885427.2. Now, divide that by 3456 for that is 2 cubic feet squared and that is what they use to build engines. You should have come up with 256.2. Now divide that by 14.27 for that is what turbo manufacturers use for there turbo maps. You should have come up with 17.95 CFM for the turbo map. Now you got all you need to map out a turbo.

Check out the turbo site for Turbonetics @ turbocharged.com and go to compressor maps and find the turbo that suites your needs. You are going to want to take the CFM you came up with and cut that in half for the mapping. Draw Virtical lines straight up in the map in the spots drawn out on each map and then draw a horizontal line accress the map for the pressure ratio that you want. The cross line from you high CFM and the pressure ratio should be right in the center of the center circle for that is the max efficiency of the turbocharger. Have fun.

The turbo size will be determined by the kind of driving you are doing. If it is small it would be good for light to light racing, If it is big it would be good for freeway racing, and if it is mid size it would be good for street and track use. If is you decision.

hi, wa sup everyone. i just finished my swap of the LS non v-tec greddy turbo swap. i just wanted to know on the tuning part for the turbo .. should i go with the greddy emanag or go hondata. note .. i dont have anything tuning my turbo rite now and so i just wanted to know asap before i take my car back out on the street.

Who will be tuning the car? Find someone with a good rep and maybe use the mgmt. sys. they have the most experience with. If you will be tuning it yourself, read up on systems and see which meets your needs. You will find loads of people that will say that the system they use is the ONLY one and all others are junk. Hondata, Chrome, Greddy etc. can all work if the tuner knows their system.

i found someone who has a good rep from friends n friends friends. he has a dyno and can tell a guy to come down and help tune it. i hear a lot of ppl using the hondata and i was just wondering if i should go hondata or just go with the greddy emanag for the turbo.

way to threadjack people

hi, wa sup everyone. i just finished my swap of the LS non v-tec greddy turbo swap. i just wanted to know on the tuning part for the turbo .. should i go with the greddy emanag or go hondata. note .. i dont have anything tuning my turbo rite now and so i just wanted to know asap before i take my car back out on the street.

start your own thread..

Hondata or Greddy?

I'm using Hondata S300 currently. It has more features than the Greddy option but costs more. Check with your tuner to see if he is more familiar with a particular one.

the place has both hondata and greddy. i heard that greddy is the safe way to go but if i wanted to push more then go with others and see what ppl use. i see that a lot of ppl are using hondata. another question, since my turbo isnt tuned at all right now... is it safe to drive cause i need to move my car from the shop it is in now to another shop to get my turbo tuned?

ls turbo or b16 turbo

me i like the ls turbo my my eg ls turbo is pushing 250whp but i did low compresion pistons im boosting 15.7 lb. as for the ecu i have hondata i like it

Back