B16A TURBO?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM91SIR

I really am wanting to break into the 13's like mid 13's but i want to know if i should go with the all motor b16 or with a turbo kit on my b16???? I got a 91 si hatch with the b16a already in it.I dont know much about the turbo stuff but all motor stuff i do. If I went with all motor I would get the skunk2 stage 2 cams, skunk2 valve train,7.5lb flywheel or jun,eagle rods, and some sort of piston, also i would change exhaust to apexi system. But i dont know where to go if i went turbo? Is there anyway someone could help me decide what would be best?? Thanks Mike

What kinda car is this in? I would go turbo....for 13 seconds you dont need to run too much boost(6-8lbs)
the bottom end can stay stock,
I would do this:
for the head I would go for some valve springs, retainers, and skunk 2 turbo cams....
for the turbo I would get a full race manifold, with a prescion turbo, a frontmount intercooler, tial wastegate, HKS SSQV Blow off valve, custom pipeing for the intercooler and exhaust.
I would also run JG Edelbrock Victor X intake manifold, with an AEM fuel rail and regulator, RC 450 injectors, a STR 70mm throttle body.
for the 13's(around 225WHP) I dont think you really need hondata or anything, but it would help. You could run a vortech super FMU insted.
with all of this I would get a good LSD transmission, with a Fidenza flywheel, and an ACT clutch, and a good set of tires like azenis's and you'll be good for 13's all day long..... you probably also would wanna get a AVCR or a good boost controller. I would get a turbo timer, so your turbo can cool down on them hot summer days.
just my 2 cents of what I would run, If I would want to be in the 13's.
i would get the block built with 8.5:1 compression JE pistons, eagle rods, and probably run a stock crank, but thats because I would go overkill, becuase knowing me, I would crank the boost way up, and most likely I would be in the 12's in a civic hatch.....

you're all-motor setup sounds good for mid 13s in a 91 hatch.

honestly, i'd just do that over a turbo setup for a mid 13 sec goal.

Would it be safe to run stock bottom end with that set up I want all motor or would i need to build a little?

You would be fine with your stock bottom end to run mid 13s on that setup, but of course forged pistons with higher compression would be stronger and get you more power. Either setup will get you into mid 13s easily.

I always go over kill. I know....
expensive, but Ive never had any problems with it....
:ph34r:

go to honda-tech.com, and look throught their forced induction for sale threads. i garentee you can piece together a kit for around $1500, and it will all bolt on. which means your down time will be a day or so. thats about the exact seput im currently working on, ill let you know what i run here in a few weeks.

Well guys I think I'm going to go with the BOOST!!!!! But i heard that its hard to make a vtec motor run right with turbo i want to run about 8 psi on the stock parts but i really dont need to blow it up real fast either. Do I need to change anything to make this work????? I thank you all a bunch for the help on the turbo idea like I said i dont know much about the turbo stuff yet. My buddy is tring to get me to get a 90 supra turbo but i want to beat his 87 supra in the hatch he just wants a 12sec car so i need to beat that supra. Thanks again Mike

Having vtec makes no difference when your turbo. I have no idea where you even read that or why somebody would say such a thing. They must have been talking about tuning, but even that isn't difficult. Just make sure you have good fuel management and that your car is tuned well.

Ok so vtec doesn't make the boost spike when it kicks in? Thanks for all the help beerbong

Originally posted by JDM91SIR@Feb 4 2005, 08:03 PM
Ok so vtec doesn't make the boost spike when it kicks in? Thanks for all the help beerbong
[post=456685]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope not at all. A shitty wastegate makes the boost spike (my shitty internal wastegate for example lol).

Back