b16a valve springs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KFBhonda

I bought a head off that online auction place and I have 16 valve springs. 8 intake, 8 exhaust seemed right to me for a stock b16a. But, the .pdf service manual shows inner valve springs on the intake side. Am I missing 8 of these or am I reading the manual incorrectly? Thanks.
:unsure:

You are right you are missing the inner springs on the intake side I think......it might be the exhaust side.

on stock b16a head you should have inners(8) and outers(8) for intake side and only the outer springs for exhaust (8)

Actually, some of the first gen B16A's came with only 16 valve springs.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jan 12 2004, 08:28 AM

did not know that, thanks for clearing that up :)

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jan 12 2004, 11:28 AM

this is true.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jan 12 2004, 11:28 AM

OK, thanks man.
It is indeed a 1st-Gen b16a so it makes sense. That really makes me feel better.
I have one more question, though:
Should I have spring seats or is it possible that the springs just sit on the head itself? I have keepers and retainers but no seats.
??? :unsure:

To the best of my knowledge you should have spring seats. Can someone else please confirm.

That is what I figured. Unless Honda did something really weird with that head and used spring seats on some but not others you should have them. My B16A head had them.

Mine did too, it also came with inner valve springs on the intake side. Too bad they're useless now, cuz i got skunk2s!

recently bought a b16 head (pr3-1) and was wondering do they normally come with dual springs or those aftermarket ? thanks .

Gen 2 B16A has inner and outer intake springs but only outer exhaust springs. Some say Gen1 only has outer springs on intake and exhaust but I do not know first hand

I have a first gen B16 right now and It had a outer and no inner spring. a buddy of mine had stock gsr springs laying arround so I slaped the inner springs on.

so i should stick with the skunk2 pro valve train ? im putting that head on a b18b block and making it a 81.5mm bore.

Personally I would go with BC springs with forged retainers. they run you about 336 shipped. VS 500+ for skunk2

Back