B16A Vtec Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1badEF8

Hello HS members, I'm new to this and this is my first post, I recently just bought a 91 CRX with a b16A swap and runs fine no pop outs or anything like that, my biggest issue is my VTEC.
when i get up to 5200 you hear the Vtec but no crack or major pull, feels like its barely hitting the threshold of VTEC, this is my first honda purchase and i'm loving it, but I want to fix the issue, which i'm a hands on type of person so I want to fix it my self, checked oil its good, cleaned out VTEC solenoid looks brand new and ordered a knock sensor cause I got code 9 from check engine but after that i'm stumped, anyone have any helpful advice? Highly appreciate time and consideration!

well if it works it works.. basically your not really going to hear vtec crossover all that much unless you have things such as larger intake mani.. header. full exhaust with no cat. and such.. as far as it making a great power pull. it really is no major difference. your not going to feel like you just hit a nitrous button and launch fowered.

@lostsoulz- Intake headers and exhaust with cat, and i dont expect it to pull like it has nitrous i just know you feel it when it cracks.

@Jilicrx Thanx a lot for the info wish i would have hit these forums up b4 i purchased the knock sensor, the reason being is my check engine light blinks 9 times in 3 sets so its the cylinder sensor in dist. thanx alot

Well if you want it to have that distinctive 'pull' you can move the vtec engagement point lower with a vtec controller.

It's not the best thing for performance, but if you want the fun factor, it's totally doable.

i dont want to move the tec engagement, im just going to rip it apart piece by piece and put back together, i also found out that their is some single cam pumps and fuel parts for single cam so im going to upgrade those and see what happens

Thanks though Reikoshea you guys are really helpful i'm loving this forums site

If the only code your car is throwing is Code 9, you just need a new distributor.

Back