B16a White/Blue Smoke n vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LifeSucks88

OK i have a B16a i have no idea what the mileage is or how many people owned it before me now that's out of the way here's my problem when my B16a hit's vtec i am getting white/blue smoke the harder i push it more smoke i get. I did a compression test it's 240psi on 1-4 and a leak down test to and it's all good. Right now im out of idea's does any anyone have any idea where i should look next?

By the way i am using a GSR P72-1 head on this B16a.

with a perfect compressoin and leakdown its hard to say where the problem is. possibly very rich?

Blue/White smoke is coolant fluid burning out of the exhaust. Most likely the head gasket is letting water into the cylinders.

Rich burning is more dark/black smoke

White is coolant, blue is oil. Head gasket? Cracked block? Could be a dozen different things. Start over and re-do your compression test. Make sure and do it properly. 240 is unreal unless it has high compression pistons in it or something aftermarket.

if the comp is that hi chances are it's been bored if so i'd check the head gasket ... make sure gasket bore is same with the bore on block.. had to fix a local shops mess up last year

It's oil burning not coolant you can smell the oil when it happens. This is what i have done so far i have changed the head gasket did not make a difference i had put back on the dyno to check to the tune it's good changed the oil to (Mobil 1 Clean 5000 10W-40) still no difference. This is my setup B16a with PR3 pistons stock bore with B18c1 head and cams Blox intake 68mm and matching TB and knock off dc header and 2 1/2in exhaust no cat. by the way the B18c1 head has a 41.60 Combustion Chamber Volume (cc) compair to the B16a at 42.70 Combustion Chamber Volume (cc).

Last edited:
FIXED it was the coil & ignition module went bad put new once in and no more smoke.

Back