B16a wont start need help ASAP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88SiRex

okay so it all started after i changed my thermostat one day. i changed it out quick and easy sealed up no leaks. i then started the engine let it idle for a little bit 5 10 mins maybe nothing weird and unusual so i drove down the street and back and on the way back i got on it kind of hard little 4k and dropped the clutch..and pulled into the driveway fine and sat there for a minute or 2 and then bam it just sputtered and shut off then i proceeded to crank it to turn back on came on and idled at like 100rpms or less..and i had to keep my foot on the gas to achieve this for a couple of seconds and then it died. so after changing my cap rotor even tried a whole new distributor i am getting spark at the wires, getting fuel at the filter and assuming at the injectors cause the spark plugs smelt of fuel after awhile of cranking. so i have no clue whats wrong i even went so far as to take the distrubtor off and had someone bump the crank and the cams were moving so i know the timing belt isnt broken. i also tried setting my timing all the way advanced and retarded to see if that would make a difference no bueno. so im stuck with it non running and need help asap to get to work in the next couple of days any advice would be helpful i even checked fuses aswell nothing abnormal there. so i need your help. thanks.

hey find your fuel pressure relief valve on the furl rail it will liik like a valve stem on a tire. after you have lovated that turn ur key to on but dont start then repeat about 3times then push the valve stem down and fuel should squirt out.. and check all your wires plug and sensor wires and for vaccume leaks if no success do a compression test thats what i would do

Learn how to spell and put sentences together noob! anyone else get that? Now, to the o.p., check your t-stat ground, and your fuel pump..

okay so i did a compression test and the numbers came back from all 4 cylinders at about 125-135 across all 4 did each one several times so its getting compression even if its a little bit its there, so im getting fuel into the cylinders cause my spark plugs are wet with fuel i can smell and see it. AND its getting spark on all 4 wires and good spark. so im gonna change my spark plugs tomorrow maybe the old ones are just fouled out idk. after doing all these tests i have to check my fuel pressure regulator as you stated, and maybe the main relay cause its getting fuel might not have the pressure to start and run the engine. will update tomorrow morning after i get my fuel pressure tester out and check some things. i have also thought about it might be my ecu anyway to test that to make sure its actually turning on and working?

hey i was looking in some sites they say the ignition control moduel or coil.. and i talked to a friend and his did the same thing yours is and we replaced the col and it runs now u should be able to take and have them tested at the parts house and make sure you have good grounds

the motor was suppose to have like 50k or so but after my compression tests i doubt it, and the chassis has like 180k, the distributor probably the same as the engine doesn't look to have ever been changed.

my buddy has a 90 integra with a b18a1 and his motor was supposed to be freshly rebuilt with about 10,000mi but he is haveing high milage problems

yeah i know but its still holding some kind of compression which means yes the rings are shot to hell but it should still start.

the most overlooked problem with a no start civic is usually the main relay under the dash,you may have fuel at ignition on but not at cranking,dont even mess with a relay from napa they are junk,go straight to honda and pay a few more dollars to be sure the relay is pinned right.As far as your compression goes,those low numbers tell me its a high mileage motor,fresh rebuild on a b16,stock internals would range from 170-200,my built b16's with 12.7-1 pistons only yeilds 270 psi in the cylinders,my GSR on the other hand has 310,so concentrate on the starting issue,when its running again I'll help you address the compression issue.Keep us posted on your results.

ive checked the main relay its clicking when its suppose too and turning the ecu and fuel pump on even pulled it apart and check the solder joints and thus no luck everything looks perfect even looks to have been changed at one point looks fairly new.

alright so after a day of working on the brakes and no engine i tried cranking it after installing some brand new spark plugs. and it wont even crank just got back from testing my starter and it passed the tests put it inside the machine and it came out and spun like crazy twice for 5 secs so what is going on any advice after this new information?

update i got it to crank again a ground was loose. barely loose but none the less enough so after i tightened that sob done i tried cranking and it cranks for a min and starts to come to life and then it just shuts off after a couple of seconds...any ideas now? ive checked my firing order and its correct. timing was on a couple days ago when i checked it but i dont think it should have changed..

for the hell of it spray alittle starting fluid in the intake and crank it and see if it starts.. and ckean and tighten all grounds

It sounds like you have fuel pressure issues. It doesnt matter that your getting fuel to the rail, or filter, how much pressure is important. Its its too low, it wont stay running. The cranking and starting to come to life part is what leads me to this.

Connect a Fuel presure gauge up and let us know what the pressure is. It should be in the 50's. Im going to make a prediaction and say yours is in the 20's or less.

Back