B16A1 Into 1989 Civic DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89DXB16A1NOW

Ok, so tommorrow I pick up my 89 Civic DX oddly enough it has a 4 speed manual but whatever.. So as I pick this up I am also prepared to buy a B16A1 to slip into this puppy... Im gonna go with one of these deals online where you get the whole change over for one fixed rate. My question to you... What the hell else am I going to be missing.. I mean you gather information day after day and it seams that there is something new for me to read each day. Im planning on buying the mounts and and shift linkage from hasport so i already have that covered... The swap motors come with a cut wiring harness is it worth it to get a ecu adapter or is it feasable to connect it manually with a little extra work. This is my first Swap but i know the 88-91 Civic/CRX inside and out since i have owned several i just want to make sure that i know what ia m getting myself into before i take the new one off the road before it even gets on it.

Don't worry its not too bad. I did a b16 sir1 swap into my '90 hf and I had NO automotive konwledge. The only thing I had done before the swap was chaning the oil in my subbi....once. You don't need an ECU adapter, your DX harness will clip into the pr3 or pw0 ecu. You will need to wire it from MPFI to DPFI. You have to run 2 extra wires for the 2 extra injectors on the b16 fuel rail.

I HIGHLY recomend hmotorsonline.com for your motor. Steve is a great guy and hes really great to work with.

You'll most likely need the spindles from an Si or a DX... the B series axles won't fit in the hubs that come stock with the 4 speed Civics, but they'll fit through a real DX's. Depending on what's in your DX, you may or may not have to get new spindles/hubs. The 4 speed transmission thing confuses me. It's not supposed to be in there.

:)

:werd: If its a civic STD then you need SI/DX/Teg (90-93) hubs/spindles. The 4-spd tranny came in the std models, so you will probably need the new hubs.

[edit] is it a hatch or a sedan?[/edit]

Probably a hatch... the sedan DX definitely came with a 5 speed. You might have been able to get the hatch DX in a 4 speed.

I don't think so. The only 4-spd was the STD sedan. (I'm almost positive) Its possible that someone rebadged the car (a STD 4-door) as a DX (for fun, or if the badges got lost/broken/stolen).

[edit] or maybe the previous owner killed the tranny and fast swaped in a 4spd [/edit]

i know in 1990 you could get a dx hatch back if it had leather interior than it was a four speed with out leather 5 speed

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 19 2004, 08:34 PM
I don't think so. The only 4-spd was the STD sedan. (I'm almost positive) Its possible that someone rebadged the car (a STD 4-door) as a DX (for fun, or if the badges got lost/broken/stolen).

[edit] or maybe the previous owner killed the tranny and fast swaped in a 4spd [/edit]

I think the STD only came in the hatchback form. As the DX has a 5 speed. Oh and if you do have an STD there are ways to find out. Do you have intermitant windshield wipers? On the rear hatch is the center civic logo on a red piece of reflective plastic? Or is it a black piece of plastic with the civic logo? Do you have rubber non-painted bumpers?
Oh and if you do have an STD then you need 4th gen DX or Si front hubs for your axels to fit in when you swap the B16.

Thanks for the info guys.. im about to go get the car now.. I havent seen it so tyhere is no way for me to confirm any of the tell tale signs to detirmine the type that you have described.. im buying from a friend of a friend its a project so i dont really care what the exact model is right now. most of it will be change dout anyway. but once again thatk you and ill keep this posted weith pics and what not.. later...

go w/ Hmotors they have a complete change over kit and has the 90-93 teg spindles a/c bracket and hasport mounts and other stuff you need for about 1900$ shiped

Back