b16a1 into 97 dx ek

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

25ck5nah2

Hello i just bought a b16a1 motor, and i want to know what i am going to need in order for it to work. I also wanted to know if i can throw a hydro' tranny into this motor. I am really sorry if this question has been asked multiple times. Your help would be appreciated.

P.S. Can anybody give me all the stuff i will in order for a complete swap? Like the harness blah blah blah!! Thanks

Last edited:
ok, i used the search feature. I found some info, and also i just wanted to know if the B16a1 (which is the first generation i believe) can fit and also run perfectly without any problems. My hatch is the 6th generation, and I've heard that this swap is illegal :confused:. But i already bought the motor, and i needed help..... How much of a hassle will the obd0 to obd2 or vice-versa be? Sorry again....

Edited: Also, i've have read articles about the obd0 to obd1 conversion which is possible. Now i have another question, after converting obd0 to obd1 wiring, can i convert the "new" obd1 to obd2 from then?

Last edited:
Non-recommended motor swaps
5th gen

* B16A SiR
* B17A
* B18A
* ZC/D16A6/8/9
* any C-series motor

We don't recommend these motors for several reasons as well. These motors are OBD-0, making it a hard swap into a car wired for OBD-1. It is easier to go backwards (as in, taking a 5th gen motor into a 4th gen chassis) than forwards. Remember, its all about backwards compatibility, not forwards.
While we haven't listed the H-series motors as a non-recommended swap, we would like to say a few words about it. An H-series motor is generally 60-80 lbs heavier than a B-series motor. This adds to the already poor F/R weight distribution of Civics/Integra's. While it can be solved with a set of stiffer springs and tighter shocks up front, it is still not a good choice for an AutoX or road course car. For drag, it excels. It's heavier, putting more weight on the front wheels to help with traction. In addition to the weight factor, the chassis will need to be modified a little bit to fit it. Some things on the fire wall will need to be moved (such as brake master cylinder) off the wall. The drivers side quarter panel will also need to be dented in a little bit so the crank pulley doesn't rub.

6th gen

* B16A SiR
* B16A3
* B17A
* B18A
* 94-95 B18C
* 94-95 B18B
* ZC/D16A6/8/9
* any C-series motor

The reasons for these motors is similar to the 5th gen's, only now we include OBD-1 in the list. When you own an OBD-2 chassis, the easiest swaps are OBD-2 motors.
The same general principles apply for the H-series motors as listed in the 5th gen's explanation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i put my obd0 lsvtec in my 99 dx
So long Mr. Rex, EK here we go ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

i bought
99-00 si harness
obd2>odb1 conversion harness and p28 ecu
hydro to cable tranny conversion mounts

since in florida we dont do refs or any sort of checks i deleted:
o2 sensors
knock sensor
fuel/spark cut offs

but i would personally have rather bought an engine with the same obd as the car. i just had this engine in my garage.

So your suggestion is that i should sell the motor instead.. and find another motor that is obd2?

EDITED: Wait a minute, the setup that you did right there, is almost the same as mines (obd0 to obd2 vice versa), then i believe its still possible, just need to change and rewire the wiring harness. In that case, i'm going to need a obd2 distributor and obd2 alternator right? Also, for the tranny, since the b16a1 is a cable tranny and my 97 ek is a hydro, cant i just buy another b-series hydro tranny and bolt it on?

Last edited:
yup...

sell the whole shebang and buy a obd2a b16 or a b18c1 that is obd2a.

If that is the case, i dont mind doing all the work, because i also have people to help me out. I'm just asking if it is still possible, because this can also be a new experience that i can learn from.

Ok, now i really am getting to this, the b16a1, cant i just replace the following obd0 components (Throttle body, intake, and distributor) with a new obd2 (throttle body, intake, distributor) instead? I dont think the wiring will be such a hassle. Will that work out?

Back