B16a1 Into A 88 Dx Crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxswap

My friend wants to swap a b16a1 into his crx. I will be helping him do this. As far as I know there is no modifications needed except for running the vtec to the ECU. If there are please tell me. We were going to do the B18b with upgraded mods but I currently read about cutting and welding and a whole bunch of other bullshit. I thought the swap was pretty straight forward. I had once heard that all you needed was a mount for the tranny and it would go right in. What's up que me in.

This is bullshit. I know for a fact that about 99 million people know every last detail about this swap, My friend wants a fast car, help em out.

Not flaming.....Everybody also knows how to do a search. There are at least 40 posts of shopping lists of complete swap info, and even some vendors post these lists. (HASport). I am not going to go into detail, it would be a lenghty waste of time. I just did a B16 swap on a 1990 DX by MYSELF in my garage, with only my hand tools. I found all the info I needed online, including the places to get the best deals and equiptment. Get off you lazy arse and do some digging, the internet is a valuable resource!

Convert to MPFI (if it is DPFI),HAport for mounts and linkage,90-93 teg axles,hammer dent into driverside frame.What year and model the car is would help.

It's an 88 dx. I have to bang the fender for the B16? That sux if true. He's buying the whole package from hmotors, so can't we just use the axels from the b16, I'm pretty sure you would have to, right? I thought The b16 linkage should work too. By the way 92b16, are you talking about the b18, because that's what it sounds like.

B series don't clear US hoodlines,hence the HAsport mounts and also since your moving the motor the shiftlinkage needs to be shortened/lengthened(I forget which),if the motor came from a crx/civic siR then he can use the axles,there are differences in the inner joints that don't make SOME combos work,but this applies to people sourcing motors without them and having to find US replacments,since the B16A isn't issue for the states we don't have the right axles,cool huh.As far as the dent in the FRAME not the fender,you have to make it due to the relocation of the motor,now the pulley is too close to the frame,so you have to hammer a small dent in it,easy.And he still need to convert from DPFI to MPFI,to support the B16's fuel system.

With this cuting of the linkage, that sounds pretty sketch to me, how would you go about doing this? Do you think it would just be a better idea to build a ZC instead. The ZC is cheap as hell and the swap is very easy so... what do you think. I'm a teg and accord expert, nothing else. :worthy: :worthy:

The ZC dohc still won't clear the hoodline...
s3e654f47aa586.jpg

Here is my old rex with a DOHC,see the bulge in the hood?They are cheaper,but the B series are so much nicer,I have driven both an the B schools the ZC.

A friend of mine didn't have to make a bulge in the hood. But let me ask you a question. As long as I don't care about making a hole in the hood to make a bulge, would the b16 just drop in? If so, that's what I'll do. Fuck the work, make a bulge.

I've never done a side by side,but people have said the mounting points on the cars were different in the US models.

Can you try to find out? You seem to have a much more extensive knowledge on this. I'll look too. Thanks

for the zc to clear the hood line my friend took his timing belft cover off and its still running great 80000 miles later

never done a b series swap so im not sure

Yea,it isn't much,but I'm trying to find if the mounts points are different between the ones that come with B16's and the US ones.So you could use stock mounts and modifiy the hood,instead of buying the kits.

Cool, so you are pretty positive on the mounts then? If so then you were a huge help, Thanks. How do you convert from dpfi to mpfi ? i wouldn't think i would have to do that if i am buying the whole conversion system with the ECU and wiring harness ?

Originally posted by crxswap+Mar 17 2003, 06:53 PM-->
Cool, so you are pretty positive on the mounts then? If so then you were a huge help, Thanks. How do you convert from dpfi to mpfi ? i wouldn't think i would have to do that if i am buying the whole conversion system with the ECU and wiring harness ?
Hold on man,I am looking into it.If I was home I could pull my friends next to each other,but i am not so I have to relay on pics and second hand info.

92b16vx Posted on Mar 17 2003
@ 02:59 AM
... I'm trying to find if the mounts points are different between the ones that come with B16's and the US ones

Any B-series motor will NOT bolt right in to a 88-91 CRX. You have to use fabricated motor mounts. In my opinion, Hasport offers the best motor mount kit. Everything lines up the propper way, including axles. Also, with the kit, your hood will clear your engine. As far as converting to PGM-FI, the best, trouble free way to do it is to send your engine harness (you should have gotten one with the swap you bought) to Hasport. They will rewire your harness to a plug and play installation.With the refurbished harness, you just plug everything in re-pin a few connectors in the ECU and you're done. Unless you love doing the wiring....In that case you can try www.honda-perf.org There you can find the pinout charts you will need to tackle the job yourself. You will have to re-pin your ECU in quite a few spots, all the info is there. It's a pain in the ass though, I think it's way less of a headache to just send it in. I did mine and when I finished, I learned it would have been easier to just have someone do it for me. To each his own though. Good Luck.

i shouldnt have to rewire the harness for the ecu because the wiring harness comes with the engine and its ECU so i should be able to take out the ecu to the us 88 DX and put in the one for the b16 and the wiring harness that came with it should hook right up. also your saing that if i use the US stock mounts it will mount but the hood will have to be modified or get the hasport mounts and not modify anything. if i am wrong about any of this please set me in the right direction.

Originally posted by crxswap@Mar 18 2003, 02:02 AM
i shouldnt have to rewire the harness for the ecu because the wiring harness comes with the engine and its ECU so i should be able to take out the ecu to the us 88 DX and put in the one for the b16 and the wiring harness that came with it should hook right up. also your saing that if i use the US stock mounts it will mount but the hood will have to be modified or get the hasport mounts and not modify anything. if i am wrong about any of this please set me in the right direction.

JDM harness = RHD = backwards in your car = doesn't plug in the right way = can not use except to salvage plugs to make your harness work = get the sub harness from HAsport = save money on aspirin.

Mounts = US points are different = HAsport to get it in and use the US mount points = modified shiftlinkage.

as you may know i am new to this and confused first what is RHD? second if a jdm harness comes with the jdm ECU why wouldn't it hook up directly what is the harness or ECU not hooking up to please help me understand. explain all in lamins terms if you have to.

Back