b16a1 into integra 1990

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HMOTORSONLINE.COM Quite possibly the best site there is. DO not temp it with other places. Everyone who bought their engines has most likely bought it from HMO. Dont chance it.

i vote hmotors. i went down and picked mine up and he gave me a good price for the complete swap...

my question is... how did you get a YS1 tranny on a 90 stock? those were the LONG geared versions for 92-93 integras (i know this because they changed the splines on the clutch, so they only made S1 or Y1 in 90-91) i don't remember what mine was, but it was NOT a YS1. i have a 90 LS... and i swapped in an XSi motor, and that came with the short geared YS1 tranny...

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Dec 7 2004, 02:26 PM
i vote hmotors. i went down and picked mine up and he gave me a good price for the complete swap...

my question is... how did you get a YS1 tranny on a 90 stock? those were the LONG geared versions for 92-93 integras (i know this because they changed the splines on the clutch, so they only made S1 or Y1 in 90-91) i don't remember what mine was, but it was NOT a YS1. i have a 90 LS... and i swapped in an XSi motor, and that came with the short geared YS1 tranny...

It was S1 A1 in 90-91, 92-93 got Y1 and YS1's.

thanks brian for clearing that up. i wasn't sure exactly what they were. :) the 92-92 YS1 was for the GS-r and LS right? (short and long gear respectively)

what makes no sense is why they made 2 trannies same code, diff ratios. odd.

alright i finaly got my engine im almost ready to pull out the old one..and the new one arrived today (ITS COLD)

now im wondering if i should use my old exhust maifold 4-1 config or keep the b16's 4-2-1 but i will need a pipe bettween its downpipe and my cat because it wont reach
im just wondering how much perforamce would i lose if i went to my manifold
or can i use a 92-93 g2 integra downpipe to connect it i belive they use a 4-2 manifold like the b16

im also wondering why i can't use the wireharness it came with...it has 3 connecots i have 2, im asuuming the 3rd one has the vtec wires in so i use the new harness and just extend the wires from the vtec connector to the ecu would this work?

you can use either header, but the LS one will bolt up to your stock exhaust. the b16 header will yield better hp,but it will need a piece of pipe added(welded).
id use the LS header, save your money(insted of using b16 and getting it welded) and look to buy an aftermarket header.

as far as the wiring harness(if your engine is from japan, it it says B16A1 its US spec, if it says just B16 its JDM) if its from japan the plugs for the wiring harness(cannon plugs, shocktower plugs-same thing) are on the wrong side. your stock harness is much easier to use, you just have to add a couple wires, which isnt hard.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Dec 15 2004, 08:15 PM
as far as the wiring harness(if your engine is from japan, it it says B16A1 its US spec, if it says just B16 its JDM) if its from japan the plugs for the wiring harness(cannon plugs, shocktower plugs-same thing) are on the wrong side. your stock harness is much easier to use, you just have to add a couple wires, which isnt hard.

First Gen B16's that came from Japan were marked "B16A1".

but i thought there wasn't a odb0 b16 engine made for usa?
was there?

i have a s1(xSi?) trans and pr3 ecu it must be from japan right?
but the connectors def end in the same spot as my b18a1..how could this be?
i got my engin for hmoters

about the exhust how much hp would i lose useing my b18a1 manifold? 2-3? or something more significant

It may be a US spec wiring harness. but I have no idea, there are plugs that look alike on both sides of the engine, on japanese engines they are reversed. Either way you'll have to add vtec/o2 sensor/knock sensor somewhere in the wiring.

ok i took some pics here
DSC00010.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

the pictures with the red in the background is my car
i think i could be wrong i duuno what the 3rd round connector is
sry the pics were taken with a crappy digital camera..(a camera made for digital videos but i used the camera mode)

Originally posted by HONDA_F1+Dec 15 2004, 10:34 PM-->
but i thought there wasn't a odb0 b16 engine made for usa?
was there?
Not for US Integra's, Civic's Accords, etc. And that can be argued based on the fact the NSX was realized in 91 and had VTEC.

Originally posted by HONDA_F1@Dec 15 2004, 10:34 PM
i have a s1(xSi?) trans and pr3 ecu it must be from japan right?
but the connectors def end in the same spot as my b18a1..how could this be?
i got my engin for hmoters

The S1 was also a USDM transmission from 90-91 in Integra's. the PR3 is from Japan regaurdless

HONDA_F1
@Dec 15 2004, 10:34 PM
about the exhust how much hp would i lose useing my b18a1 manifold? 2-3? or something more significant

I dont think your going to notice the loss using the LS manifold.

Ok, you've got the header, right?

On the downpipe, where it connects to the Cat, weld a bung for an O2 sensor, get a new O2 and wire it up.

is there an eaiser way to get this pin out of the shift linkage i've tryed hamering it but i can't get enfough force i even took a jack and jacked the pin pusher and that didn't work ..i didn't have this much of a hard time with the other swap i did...and sugestions would be helpfull

Originally posted by HONDA_F1@Dec 17 2004, 05:17 PM
is there an eaiser way to get this pin out of the shift linkage i've tryed hamering it but i can't get enfough force i even took a jack and jacked the pin pusher and that didn't work ..i didn't have this much of a hard time with the other swap i did...and sugestions would be helpfull

A little I've used and it works quite well is to get a
a0502s.jpg

and a pair of vise grips and a hammer and beat it out.

Back