B16a1 Sleeved To 1.8l

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blacura93

i plan on boring out my engine and sleeving it to a 1.8L, and i was just wondering what other modifications would be needed to accomodate this change?

to get it to 1.8L you would need a 86mm bore, which means 86mm pistons, which is somewhat rare.

i was going to replace all the internals, i did not know that 86mm was that rare, i have not found them yet but was going to begin looking soon. if 85mm are more common, what would be my options with boring it to an 85mm? would it be just under 1.8L? would it be a good thing to do, or should i just find the 86's and continue with that?

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 30 2003, 12:47 PM
How does performance differ from boring a motor to 1.8 and stroking a motor to 1.8?

generally when getting displacement by boring you'll yeild higher high rpm gains
when getting displacement by increasing the stroke, you'll yeild higher low rpm gains

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 30 2003, 03:26 PM
For a good 1/4 would you suggest stroking or boring?

i would think stroking, to help with low end and launching.

both--get a stroke close to 80mm; like a b17 crank that is 81.4mm, then rebore to 85 or 84.5mm. displacement is very good. r/s ratio for the b17 crank with b16 block is around 1.62, which is better than the b18c! with that combo, you would get a displacement of around 1848cc with the 85mm bore.

Originally posted by blacura93@Apr 30 2003, 02:11 PM
i was going to replace all the internals, i did not know that 86mm was that rare, i have not found them yet but was going to begin looking soon. if 85mm are more common, what would be my options with boring it to an 85mm? would it be just under 1.8L? would it be a good thing to do, or should i just find the 86's and continue with that?

what would be my gains with just boring to 1.8 with the addition of a turbo

Back