B16a1 Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

int3gl2a_typ3l2

my lil brother just got a 92 integra and he needs a new engine bad, but all he can afford is a b16a1 engine? will it fit into the 92 integra properly?

Originally posted by int3gl2a_typ3l2@May 26 2003, 12:01 PM
my lil brother just got a 92 integra and he needs a new engine bad, but all he can afford is a b16a1 engine? will it fit into the 92 integra properly?

yeah it will fit in perfect...all you'll need is a pr3 or pw0 ecu and the motor itself...and you'll need to add the vtec wire...maybe be more but i'm not sure...someone on here knows exactly what wires you need to add...anyways...i suggest just rebuilding the LS motor you have already...the low torque along with an ls tranny in that heavy car...it will be pretty slow...don't get me wrong, i've seen some fast DA's with b16's in them but none of them are all motor...if you do go the b16 route...get the tranny along with it...you and your brother will be way more satisfied

put in another b18a, and save the rest of ur $$$ for a turbo, dont waist ur $$ on a b16, the lack of torque on a DA is brutal. he will be much happier with a b18a, the save for a small amount of boost.

also, that post is in the wrong forum. go to the DA forum not civic forum:)

lies i was wrong, someone changed the forum's on me :OOO, i thought this forum was only civic's, forget i said anything:). Boosted B18a only way to go:p

srry whut i meant was...whut he wants to get is complete engine tranny and ecu???
but uh with the sir tranny his car will be okay??? after can he boost??? will it be worth it for him?

92 Teg's are OBD1... the B16a (There is no B16a1, FYI) will NOT plug into the distributor, and a few of the oterh plugs won't work off an OBD0 engine. Most pf the sensors from the B18a will bolt over, though, so that shouldn't be TOO much of a headache.

I agree, though. Replace the b18a with a 94-95 LS engine. 140 HP, and GOBS more torque to get that 2600 pound beast out of the hole MUCH better than a little dinky b16a.

Well...he did it...his car now has a b16a in it but now he is deciding whether or not to go ALL MOTOR or Boost?
not alot of boost though cuz he is using it for everyday driving and street stuff? are there certain things he has to do to prep his engine for a small amount of boost?

im new here.but im glad to hear he went this way.alls he has to do now is take th b18 bottom end and put it on the jdm b16 and hell have him self an ls vtec.i also have a92 intgra and thats what i am doing.i suggest going all motor
turbo is always faster but cost alot more.now i got a question what ecu pinouts did he usefor vtec? and was there any other little problems he ran into?

Originally posted by SiR Kid@May 27 2003, 04:04 AM
There is no B16a1, FYI

yeah, there is actually. i thought that too... but i was also wrong. it came in some '91 crx sir's... it does exist, it's just very rare. it's also the only JDM engine i know of that has a trailing numeral.

Originally posted by fastintegra@Jun 4 2003, 06:43 AM
i suggest going all motor
turbo is always faster but cost alot more.

This is not necessarily true. It all depends on how and what you do it with.

Another thing…I find it funny how this is guy is asking if a b16a will even go into his bro’s integra, and two days later telling us that he just did the swap….hmmmm. :unsure:

Originally posted by fastintegra@Jun 4 2003, 06:43 AM
...alls he has to do now is take th b18 bottom end and put it on the jdm b16 and hell have him self an ls vtec.i also have a92 intgra and thats what i am doing.i suggest going all motor
turbo is always faster but cost alot more.now i got a question what ecu pinouts did he usefor vtec? and was there any other little problems he ran into?

[sarcasm]my thoughts exactly. yeah, especially since the the old motor was already bad. There's nothing faster than an LS/VTEC that smokes and knocks. And maybe you can help him wire it too...[/sarcasm]

fastintegra, you need to finish your project and actually drive it before you're qualified to give opinions like this. And for God's sake, learn some grammar and spelling skills.

And another thing, a 92 teg with a B16A weighs the same as a 99-00 Civic Si w/ the B16A2, so to all the nay-sayers: What makes this motor such a "bad choice" compared to the almighty B18A/B?

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Jun 4 2003, 07:24 AM-->
@May 27 2003, 04:04 AM
There is no B16a1, FYI

yeah, there is actually. i thought that too... but i was also wrong. it came in some '91 crx sir's... it does exist, it's just very rare. it's also the only JDM engine i know of that has a trailing numeral.

I've seen AT LEAST 15 B16a OBD0 engines... None had a trailing numeral. I don't beleive this for a second without pics.

I would suggest searching, I have actually seen a picture with it there and yeah you couldn't have photochopped the one I saw. I also thought it was a myth, and yeah it was true.

Maybe out of a Euro car, but surely not JDM land material.

Well, I'll be damned... And it's from NL, Wherever that is. [edit]DUH, Netherlands. :rant: [/edit]

http://www.vtec.nl

Car's an EE8, so it's definitely EURO. 150 HP. Not worth importing, really. Euro importing is much smaller business, so much more expensive.

ee8.jpg

b16a1.jpg

nuc79: The problem with putting a B16 into an LS is the LS trans. The LS transmission compared to the B16 trans is VERY long geared, and that makes for almost no acceleration compared to the same engine with a shorter transmission.

They call the B16A1 the "one million series" of B16s, someone on here knows more about it.

Originally posted by djextremity@Jun 9 2003, 08:17 AM
nuc79: The problem with putting a B16 into an LS is the LS trans. The LS transmission compared to the B16 trans is VERY long geared, and that makes for almost no acceleration compared to the same engine with a shorter transmission.

Tell me about it!!! I got a eg hatch with dx motor and cx tranny....HELL!!!! :ghey:

The B16 is too small for the EK Si IMO. Why would you want less displacement? Ever? It is goofy to ever step down in size. And you better check your chassis weights, because I get the EK Si weighing in at 50lbs under the average Gen 2 Integra.

true, the exact weight depends on which DA trim (RS, LS, GS), so the 99-00 Si might weigh less than a 90-93 teg. But honestly, 50 lbs isn't all that much of a difference. A full tank of gas and a speaker box w/subs could easily approach that number. And all things considered, a 92 RS teg with a B16A and Si tranny will be as fast as a stock 99-00Si. And it will definately be faster than the tired old B18A1/LStranny, regardless of the 0.2Liter displacement disadvantage.

And as for the B16A being too small for the EK Si, that was a Honda corporate decision, just like putting the B16A in the JDM DAs. But it sure beat the hell out of any other Civic that you could buy off the dealer lot in 99-00...IMO ;)

I agree with nuc79 i have a b16 in my 90 gs, i have I/E/H and ive taken a few b18 tegs with my car. As long as you get the tranny to go with the b16 i think you will be fine and have a fast street car. Now if we are talking about building the fastest street car or even an all race vehicle, you would be better off going with a b18/b18c and boosting that bitch, but as a daily driver i am happy with the b16 in a a Da. Just my .02

Back