b16a1 turboed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lizoyd18

im thinkin about putting a turbo kit in a b16a1 how much boost and the engine take stock??? probably turbonetics or garret turbo.. bbut the garret turbo all i see is for the 92 and up and i have a 90 appreciat the help

i would put together a custom turbo kit. you could do it for a lot less and you could have better parts. you can run a safe 8-10 pounds stock. a little more with good tuning.

yea but this would be my first time messing with a turbo and im thinkin of doing it myself im thinkin of something just bolt on

I know im new here, but Im currently running a B16A1 turbo. I would never go over 8lbs of boost, with stock internals. IMO, I think 5-6 lbs is safe. Tuning it when the turbo is on, is the key thing. Anything 8lbs and up, you should start thinking about upgrading internals.IMO. If your a member of honda-tech.com you should read up in the forced induction section, tons of very good info.

Last edited:
thatz kool im kinda new with all the turboes never touched on i guess i would have to build it a little i guess what to i start out with???

OK OK OK IM TIRED OF THE B16A NAY SAYERS WHEN IT COMES TO BOOST. November 2005 issue of Hot Compacts & Imports has a test of how strong the b16 block and internals are under boost, with optimal tuning. They ran a 57mm turbo and the stock internals pistons finally gave out at 17 FREAKING POUNDS OF BOOST not 8. True they used racing fuel and 18 degrees of timing, but its still stock head and crank. They later ran 24lbs of boost, and with proper tuning, new pistons and rods only (new rods because the pistons they bought wouldnt fit on stock rods) they got 507 hp. No block guard, not block posting. Just new pistons and rods and proper tuning.

look, there is a difference in being reliable enough to drive every day to work/school and being reliable enough to make power on the dyno.

I hate to use josh (hotrex) as an example, but he made 400whp on his b16 integra just fine for a few weeks. the car was tuned pretty well, but a flaw in the build up caused the thing to go caput (even with new rods and pistons).

You dont have to sleeve your block to make power on a b16. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a set of forged pistons and new rods. A little bit of safety goes a long way in reliability. After that, its all in the tune. Block gaurds are almost a waste of money unless you are making some HEFTY numbers. If I were building a b16 turbo on the cheap, here is what id do.

Cast Manifold: 250-300
T3/04E 57 Trim .63/.60: 600ish (new)
Custom piping from random muffler shops: 320-600 (depends on the shop)
Tial Wastegate: $200
Greddy Knock Off BOV: $20
Cheap Ebay Intercooler: $400 (you can usually find one with pipes and couplers too)
Air Filter: $60
Coupleres: $60-80
Oil Lines: $40
Pistons: $600
Rods: $300
Bearings: $100

That gives you a decent b16 that can make decently safe power up to the 350-400 range and those numbers are mostly retail (with the exception of the IC and the BOV).

thatz a good idea too but what if i get new pistons from another b series engine?? and i was thinkin mabey a garret or turbonetics since it is my first time just bolt on

i would go with a forged piston so its more difficult to melt your pistons and it gives you some play if your tuning sucks.

Back