B16A1G2 Manual Swap into 93 Hatch Auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yea, I missed the part where you had a HAsport :p

Christ man my parts list keeps getting longer. I ordered my axles and the intermediate shaft monday morning. I ordered the 97 ITR throttle cable tuesday. I have to get the left and right front lower engine/trans mounts cuz the bushing on the right side one from both engines is shot, and the front left lower trans mount isnt the right size, according to my mechanic. Does that sound right, by the way? Keep in mind my old engine was the automatic, i dunno if that makes a difference. So on that note will i need to get the mount for an EG 5 speed?

And then I'm making another trip out to the junkyard tomorrow to do more scavenging on my favorite wrecked eg hatch. I'm snatching the virgin carpeting, accelerator and brake pedals, and a nice rockford fosgate amp that no one has miraculously noticed was still under the glove box. Wish I could take the whole dash, mine's all fucked up on the underside of the steering area. I just don't know if i have the patience to pull it out the correct way.

I'm watching a center console on egay thats ending tomorrow. I still say it looks exactly the same as the one in my car, and it looks like the one already in my car would work with the stick shifter, but other people who have done it say no.

Also need to get new bushings, bolts, and rubber mount thingie, for the shifter from Honda. We would probably be finishing this shit up this weekend if I wasn't going out of town till Monday. Bad timing.

I wired in the ECU today with the Hasport sub-wiring harness. Wasn't too bad, hardest part was fishing the wires down thru the firewall hole, and figuring out that you have to raise those plastic hinge tabs to be able to push the wire pins thru. Hasport helped over the phone with that. Good customer service btw. So the VTEC solenoid, Oil Pressure sensor, and knock sensor are all wired to the p30 ECU now.

I was looking at this wiring checklist, and it mentioned that I should double check that my Evap Purge solenoid, and something else with the Evap are wired in to such and such terminals on the driver side plugs. Any thoughts on those? I think 92b16vx's tutorial on wiring up VTEC mentions that with the yellow wires on that side.

One thing that's been eating at me lately is that when I bought this Engine/Tranny combo, i'm pretty sure it said it came from a 92-95 JDM civic. And when I ask around, everyone says get parts for it from the 99-00 USDM civic Si. But the Si is OBD2. Will this limit me at all as far as what parts I can use from it, and what parts I have to find specifically for this OBD1 engine? Lastly, am I completely mistaken and do ALL these B16A2s come from 99-00 civic Si's. Or was my initial understanding of where my engine came from correct? I know my exhaust only has 1 O2 sensor on it, right before the cat, it doesn't have the second O2 by the exhaust manifold. And I'm pretty sure the 99 Si OBD2 motor has both.

Oh, and finally, i bought the upper and lower radiator hoses for a 97 Del Sol VTEC, because that's what the swap guide from Hasport said, however the hoses on this B16A2 are friggin huge. They're a lot bigger than the ones I bought, and a lot bigger than the hose nipples on my tiny radiator. What the hell did I do wrong? Will the 99 Si hoses fit? If the nipples on the engine are not the same size as my radiator, will I need some kind of adaptor? And is this a normal part of this swap? If so I hadn't read anything anywhere about it. Thanks.

Listen to Deth101, his archived posts saved me s0o much time and money.
:worthy: Deth
:lol:

Originally posted by confusatron@Aug 18 2005, 01:23 AM

One thing that's been eating at me lately is that when I bought this Engine/Tranny combo, i'm pretty sure it said it came from a 92-95 JDM civic. And when I ask around, everyone says get parts for it from the 99-00 USDM civic Si. But the Si is OBD2. Will this limit me at all as far as what parts I can use from it, and what parts I have to find specifically for this OBD1 engine? Lastly, am I completely mistaken and do ALL these B16A2s come from 99-00 civic Si's. Or was my initial understanding of where my engine came from correct? I know my exhaust only has 1 O2 sensor on it, right before the cat, it doesn't have the second O2 by the exhaust manifold. And I'm pretty sure the 99 Si OBD2 motor has both.

Oh, and finally, i bought the upper and lower radiator hoses for a 97 Del Sol VTEC, because that's what the swap guide from Hasport said, however the hoses on this B16A2 are friggin huge. They're a lot bigger than the ones I bought, and a lot bigger than the hose nipples on my tiny radiator. What the hell did I do wrong? Will the 99 Si hoses fit? If the nipples on the engine are not the same size as my radiator, will I need some kind of adaptor? And is this a normal part of this swap? If so I hadn't read anything anywhere about it. Thanks.
[post=541661]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry,I used a 98 GSR harness to cut out the wiring part on my obd2 si motor so I cant help you with that but check the engine specs part of the reference section to see what JDM car your engine could have come from.Yes the 99-00 has both o2 sensors but if you are running it obd1 you dont need the 2nd one because the ecu only sees one anyway,and yes you are a little bit limited as far as obd parts go injectors,alt and other such parts should be obd1 but most stuff can be bought for the 99-00si.As far as the rad hoses all I did was clamp the one on the rad side down really tight while taking care to not bend or crush the inlet and I've had no leaks or problems so far and it gets wicked humid hot here in Iowa[notice its a four letter word] but I've talked to people who cut thier oldhose off right at the start of the inlet and forced the new larger hose over that then clamped it and that sounds like a smarter way to me but I'm not screwing with it unless I have a prob.

And thanks VTECin5th but all my credit has to go to 92b16vx and AllMotorMonster they were the ones who took the time and helped me.Thanks again guys.And thanks to the forum as a whole,this is by far the best honda site period.

Got my axles, midshaft thingie, and the ITR throttle cable yesterday. Looks like my old throttle cable will work though, lengthwise.

Is there any difference between the automatic accelerator pedal and the manual one? I don't wanna have to change it if I don't have to.

Incidentally we should be done with this thing by the end of this weekend.

every pedal I used was different but mine came from a teg.if you use the old throttle cable you could use the old pedal but the B series throttle cables have a different connector at the pedal than D series from what I've seen.it was the easiest pedal to get out and put in if that helps any.

Originally posted by deth101@Aug 26 2005, 12:10 AM
every pedal I used was different but mine came from a teg.if you use the old throttle cable you could use the old pedal but the B series throttle cables have a different connector at the pedal than D series from what I've seen.it was the easiest pedal to get out and put in if that helps any.
[post=545485]Quoted post[/post]​

I got the brake and gas pedal out of the junker today, jesus CHRIST what a pain in the ass. I HATE cotter pins. Ha got the carpeting too, it was cherry. Mine is trashed. Thinkin about taking the black vinyl seats too, passenger side and back. The driver side I might replace with a nice racing seat, don't know yet. I guess I should decide before I grab those. My stock interior is crappy blue cloth.

Incidentally that junker civic is down to the dash, the passenger and back seats, and the metal shell. Not much left, no glass except the windshield, and the driver side door is gone. I wonder how soon they'll crush the poor bastard.

Oh and a big high-five to Import Auto Salvage for neglecting to send me the damn mounting bolts for the axle mid-shaft. Nice job dickheads.

I picked up my box of crap I ordered from Honda today, 80% of which I'll be returning tomorrow. I ended up not needing half of it as the stuff I had was in good enough condition to reuse. Really I just need the driver side lower front mount bushing and a few miscellaneous screws. The whole box of shit cost $216, but I'll be getting about $150 of that back tomorrow.

Incidentally we should be done with this whole project by the end of this weekend. Cross my fingers and hope we get no CELs.

ive always used it. and as far as the brake pedal, i pull the pin on the pedal instead of removing the whole tree.... its a hell of a lot easier and you can kill a couple of beers with the extra time you saved!

I ended up not needing the manual gas pedal, they are identical to the automatic pedal. So all you really need is the brake and clutch pedal.

The hydraulic fitting for the slave cylinder on the B series trans does not hook up with the hydraulic line from the EG civic. We are gonna custom fit a different compression fitting onto the line tomorrow.

Throttle cable: too short, the bracket is in the wrong position so the throttle cable for the 1993 DX Civic DOES NOT WORK WITH THE OBD1 B16A2. It's about 4 inches from where it needs to be thus the cable will not work. Even the 97 ITR throttle cable I bought from inline four does not work, as it is IDENTICAL TO THE 1993 DX throttle cable. How very gay. Wish I had known about this in advance so I could have found the correct cable and we'd be done with this swap already. I need to know what car this engine came from. I am guessing either a 92-95 JDM Civic SiR (if that car exists?) or an Integra of about the same year. Yes the one I have is a JDM engine. Anyone know for certain which JDM car or cars this motor came in? Thanks.

take a couple minutes to look at the cable, and you can either flip the bracket in a different position to get by, or you can take the time to make one. but the cable itself will and does work. if not, im not quite sure how i got home from the shop last night in my 94 hatch w/b18c using a stock dx cable. the cables not your problem, how it mounts to the manifold is. check on that hydro line for your tranny before you cut the stock end off, should be the same size. do you have all parts from tranny to damper? should be from the slave cylinder: hard line up to bracket ont top of trans, then couples to rubber up the damper mounted on the pass. frame rail, and then back to hard line again. good luck man

Originally posted by evoracer03@Aug 28 2005, 03:06 PM
take a couple minutes to look at the cable, and you can either flip the bracket in a different position to get by, or you can take the time to make one. but the cable itself will and does work. if not, im not quite sure how i got home from the shop last night in my 94 hatch w/b18c using a stock dx cable. the cables not your problem, how it mounts to the manifold is. check on that hydro line for your tranny before you cut the stock end off, should be the same size. do you have all parts from tranny to damper? should be from the slave cylinder: hard line up to bracket ont top of trans, then couples to rubber up the damper mounted on the pass. frame rail, and then back to hard line again. good luck man
[post=546380]Quoted post[/post]​

Your cable mount on the B18C might be on the left side of the intake manifold, I dunno. But as it sits in the engine bay, that bracket is about 4 to 5 inches from where it needs to be to mount up to the bracket mount on the intake for the B16A2. The cable doesn't stretch either. So it won't work as it is, but we could make a custom steel bracket for it if we want. I'm going to ask the honda dealer tomorrow how much it is for the 94 Del Sol DOHC VTEC throttle cable, and maybe just order that and skip the custom bracket. We'll see how much it is, shouldn't be more than $35. Thanks.

Just use your stock lower hose and the del sol upper hose. with a little lubrication you should be able to get the lower hose on the engine water outlet, and just clamp down the upper hose to the radiator. I have seen this done on several EG's with b16 swaps and they haven't had a problem. If you don't want to do this the only other option is to buy a del sol radiator and use it.

Originally posted by jgalaz1@Aug 31 2005, 09:41 PM
Just use your stock lower hose and the del sol upper hose. with a little lubrication you should be able to get the lower hose on the engine water outlet, and just clamp down the upper hose to the radiator. I have seen this done on several EG's with b16 swaps and they haven't had a problem. If you don't want to do this the only other option is to buy a del sol radiator and use it.
[post=548074]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks man, we actually took care of that last weekend, by doing exactly what you said. I ended up though just buying a flexible ribbed radiator hose about 13" long from Autozone, and it worked like a charm for the upper hose. The lower hose we just used the stock DX hose and a heat gun and some lube.

Tomorrow I pick up the Del Sol DOHC throttle cable, and popping in the new spark plugs, and we should be ready to fire this bastard up finally. I had a dream two nights ago that when we started the car the first time, it burst into flames. So I'm gonna have my fingers crossed when we do start it up.

DONE (sorta) We finished everything today, had to get a special adapter to connect the 3/16" steel line from the slave cylinder hose to the 1/4" line from the junker from the clutch master cylinder, then bleed the clutch. She started up after a few cycles of the starter, and after warmup she idled nice. steady 750 rpm. Honda said the oem fluid for the trans was 5W30 motor oil, but they recommended I use this newer stuff that Honda makes, so I used the newer fluid.

BUT, here are the initial bugs: smoke burning off from under the exhaust heat shield. Got worse after I drove it around for a while, but i wont know if i have any leaks until after I let it sit over a clean spot in the street overnight. Could be just burning off filth that was sitting on on the manifold from wherever the motor came from. And I gotta find out what teh CEL code is that it's throwing tomorrow. Could be the VSS because I also have no speedometer reading.

The car runs and drives FUCKING GREAT!!! OH MY GOD so much power! It takes no effort at all to do wicked screaming burnouts in first and second. I have to get used to driving stick again but jesus christ that motor has nuts. Big huge ones. Of course this is from a guy who used to have a D15B7 with only 105 hp in it the last time I drove it.

Incidentally, if it is teh VSS, can I just reuse the one off my old D15 trans?

Okay no leaks after leaving it overnight, so I'm assuming it's just residue that got on the manifold at some point that's burning off. I haven't driven it yet today, but I'm going to as soon as I bridge those ECU diagnostic terminals. Gonna go get some EBC brake pads today from Pep Boys, cuz my brake pads are almost gone. Don't need that to worry about.

Incidentally I was so blown away by the burnouts yesterday that I didn't really notice whether VTEC was kicking in. I'm assuming that since the speedo doesn't register and that since maybe i have a bad VSS, VTEC might not kick in till I fix that. I'll find out later.

The thank you list: thanks to Hondaswap.com for creating this awesome web site for noobs like myself, and even for the swap vets finding unusual new problems to solve and share with us, and thanks to everyone on all the threads including this one that I used to learn how to do this swap, especially Estorvito, Deth101, Vtec in 5th, 92b16vx, evoracer03. You guys fucking ROCK! :)

New EBC Green Stuff brake pads today, now the car actually stops firmly and makes me feel a hell of a lot safer. Got prices on those sensors today from Pep Boys: $180 for the VSS and $60 for the VTEC oil pressure sensor. Only catch is, they're both for a VTEC D series motor. So I'm not sure if I should get them or ones for the 99 Si.

Anyway, the important stuff: the car has balls now, as I said before. VTEC seems to be kicking in, as it seems to gain power as it passes 5,000 rpm, with no signs of letting up. I haven't let it rev past 7,000 so far, don't wanna take a chance until I get those 2 sensors in there and everything is normal. Basically right now the car runs and drives perfect, idles solid at 750 rpm with no flutter, and is now officially fun to drive.

hit me up if you still need those sensors.... got some floating round the shop, will ship to you if needed. congrats on completeing your first swap!!!

Back