B16A2 99' Civic Si rebuild questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

where do you recommend getting these guides from?

have you removed and installed valve guides before? Im reading out of the manual and it looks alittle tricky, heating it up to 300 degrees and then knocking them out, ouch! could get alittle nervous.

hehe yeah it's recommended you have a machine shop do the valve guides.

but see i still recommend nothing other than a serdi machine to do the PnP, if you so decide.

No i've never done mine, but when i do, i'll probably buy them from here:
IL4 Bronze Valve Guides

they also have stainless steel valves. and everything else. have u heard of IL4 before?

no, but now i do, site looks good. this serdi machine, is this something new to the world?

valve angle jobs, they cost alot to do?

the honda your driving, do you have upgrades valve train parts? if so, what have you installed and how much did you pay for everything if you remember. you seem like someone i can trust with this build.

my car, 2000 EJ8 (ex coupe), i swapped in a JDM B16. no head work. no valve train parts. stock bottom end. havnt had the money. i havnt had much hands on myself, but i've been an accomplis to a few builds. most of what i know i've read. researching alll the time. i can answer any wiring question. i've done a wire tuck and rear disc brake conversion and replaced all hardline with steel braided line, and dropped it with tein springs and rear lca's and camber kit, front/back. workin on getting into some boost and tuning next. then i'll be going for internals.

you can trust everything i tell you i know for a fact. i wont post anything i dont know for sure. and because i dont have the funds to get my experiance right now, giving those that do the knowledge i have is like getting some experiance.

i priced valve jobs one time... but i forget and luckly IL4 has their own prices for it you can use for reference. Competition Cylinder Head Work

serdi's are old. i read a ton about valve jobs, and if i remember right, they have a serdi 3 now. but i cant say for certian. regardless it's highly recommended by every expertly written article i've read that you shouldnt even let someone touch it if they dont have a serdi. it helps if they have a flowbench too that can actually test your flow. you need to spiral the air and such. it's all in the technique

wow almost 300 dollars for the valve job, thats expensive. i've got two different machine shops here where i live and need to get it done.

if you have the money right now, what pistons would you go with. JE or CP?

idk. i havnt read much on pistons.

i'd probably go with eagle. that's what my friend's got in his 4G63. and i've read a lot of people using them and not having problems.

yeah im going with eagle rods, h-beam series and the pistons are still a big "?".

Brian Crower valve train parts, any problems you have with them?

head gasket still haven't done research on, what size mm to get for turbo application on b16 block and stock head.

i really want the gt28 from garret that ones the s-13's and s-14 for my turbo charger. i read alot of good stuff about that turbo.

yeah im going with eagle rods, h-beam series and the pistons are still a big "?".

Brian Crower valve train parts, any problems you have with them?

head gasket still haven't done research on, what size mm to get for turbo application on b16 block and stock head.

i really want the gt28 from garret that ones the s-13's and s-14 for my turbo charger. i read alot of good stuff about that turbo.

you mean the disco potato? GT28RS? that's a sweet turbo.

head gasket from what i've read, your fine with OEM.

i like crower cams. i cant remember at the moment what my friend's 4G63 has. never heard anything bad about the quality.

yeah it is, just wish garret made a kit for honda instead of nissan. i look on ebay for just the turbo, its priced between $450-1200.

the only con i have on it is the internal wastegate unless it has a divided wall between the turbine wheel and wastegate passage. then its ok by me.

if i get these gsr cams, instead of buying new ones from BC then i can really save alot of money.

this site is really helpful for the first time builder

Evans Tuning • View topic - The definitive gsr engine build article

cool thanks. i've never seen one that comprehensive before. it's getting printed for archiving now :)

yeah i have done alot of searching for tutorials and breakdowns of everything on the net, this site by far is just the best one i've seen.

if you like supra's i have 4 video links on youtube.com for ya

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

look for the 4 part video with the brother twins

so if i turbo my engine your saying my springs, retainers, and valves will all be ok, nothing will fail do to increased pressure in the cylinder?

what if i took apart the head, not knowing all this and mixed up the valves and springs, and retainers, in other words i dont know what cylinder/correct place they go to. will that make a difference?

get the valve job and have the valves grinded with new surfaces, then use the valve tool to seat it in flush.

alright, i researched online for the past three days and still not completely sure that my stock valve train parts will hold up if i turbo charge this engine.

i know that the gsr cams will give me the added lift and shorted duration i need to have added performance for turbocharging, but are you sure i should not upgrade the valve train?

what causes a valve to break or bend? is temperature a factor?
135$ will get me the regrinded valves, regrinding of the valve seats in the head

spend the money to port and polish? will be worth it? im building this car for my wife and i dont want anything going wrong at all.

Attachments

• 100_2123.JPG
    100_2123.JPG
    607.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_2124.JPG
    100_2124.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_2128.JPG
    100_2128.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
acquired some gsr camshafts from a 2001 integra off ebay. before dropping them into the head should i have the machine shop polish them up with new surfaces?

whats the difference between the 96'-01' integra oil pump and the 99'-00' b16a2 oil pump?

Can a type-r oil pump fit on a b16a2 block?

two things scared me after i installed my cp pistons,

first: do you have to resleeve your block if you go with forged pistons? does the b16 have FRM cylinder walls?

second: after installing the pistons, little micro scratches i can't feel with any fingernail or feeler gauge are on the cylinder walls, i can only see with a flash light. Is this normal after installing pistons to have tiny vertical scratches from the rings going in?

i heavily soaked the cylinder walls with oil before each piston and they went right in with no problems, couple light taps and they are in.

if your spinning the engine through its resolutions with a torque wrench, how much load is there while spinning it?

please help answer these questions before i go any further on this build.

Last edited:
here are some more pics of the build process.
they head is fully ported and polished at the machine shop getting re-decked and the valves re-seated.

Attachments

• 100_2154.JPG
    100_2154.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 100_2153.JPG
    100_2153.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_2146.JPG
    100_2146.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_2145.JPG
    100_2145.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 100_2138.JPG
    100_2138.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_2155.JPG
    100_2155.JPG
    547.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_2156.JPG
    100_2156.JPG
    550.6 KB · Views: 222
thanks, the top end will be on it next week. some more parts need to come in from Honda though for me to get it all done.

i thought you were getting your sohc turbo'ed? what happened to that build since you wrecked your civic?

Back