b16a2 easy power?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

garyeboy

okay i have an 00 civic si with a b16a2 i have a cai apexi afc dc sports header 2.5" exhaust what im wondering is what do i need to do to reach 200hp
can i accomplish this with a port polish head cams , cam gears dual valve springs?

what kind of hp a b16 put to the wheels stock? my plan was possibly good port and polish shave the head maybe larger valves dual valve springs and skunk2 pro 2 cams and cam gears thinking of what i could do without goin in the bottom end and of course a IM and bigger throttle body

I've seen only two b16 engines reach 200 whp. Both required +9000 rpm rev's, massive head porting and 12:1 compression. One had skunk2pro3's and the other had M22XX's.

these cars have a good bit of drivetrain power loss then, i was figuring on the 160hp bein at the wheels but i shoulda figured on it bein measured at the crank , i dont know much about hondas this is my first honda my other car is a 95 vw golf that i turbo'd and has a hell of alot more power than this civic and i was just wanting to make more power with this thing without going f/i
the civic is my every day driver i just wanted to give it more power
i like the jackson racing s/c just a little pricey tho

okay, since my goal is gonna be a lil costly to reach what kinda power gains would i get with these cams from comp cams eBay Motors: COMP CAMS 57100 Honda B DOHC VTEC STREET/RACE CAMSHAFTS (item 300209426951 end time Mar-31-08 20:32:39 PDT) and dual valve springs for added safety at higher rpm

If you want more power without pulling the engine out and increasing compression, I would just pull the head and have it fully built. Keep in mind, just about all the power you will make is made in the head. Get a good IM/TB, a good header, some rc 310's and cams to suite your power goal/rev range. With that, head porting and matching to the IM should be done as well as stronger valvetrain. You can even mill the head .030" to bump up compression and run a thinner cometic head gasket.

okaY well i guess as far as im wanting to dive into the engine for now since im thinking about supercharging in the future what kinda power gains would i see with the 57200 comp cams uprgraded dual valve springs probably also comp cams 913 set and a mild port and polish basically smooting out the castings and port matching to the IM is it enough gain to justify the money

Do what I said to do and you will be happy with the gains. You should make around 180-185whp doing so naturally aspirated.

If you want to supercharge it, than just supercharge it and do the fuel system and engine management. The cost will be expensive no matter what direction you go.

sorry ls i somehow looked over that response my bad , see what you said was basically my plan what do you mean by rc 310's? yeah somehow it just didnt come out right what i said i wanted to do earlier
my plans
port n polish
shaved head
cometic head gasket
comp cams 57200
matching valve springs from comp
as far as intake manifolds are the skunk 2's worth the money? or are you just buying the name

rc 310's are injectors. 310cc, saturated.

What stage port and polish job are you planning on getting? And umm, what about adjustable cam gears? Have you given any thought to those or even researched any of this much? Also, don't forget to tune your build or else your engine will go boom. :D Best of luck on your build my friend. Keep us updated.

You mentioned going jrsc... I am a big fan myself because it makes alot of reliable and usable power. In the end look at spending atleast $2500 on an s/c setup to do it right. If you have any questions pm me...

what do i need to tune my build. cause as i've said im new to hondas

I'd go with the 57200 because "stage one" profile cams are basically a waste of money. Might as well buy used OEM cams and save some money.

15% drivetrain loss is pretty typical for many manufacturers and I've never once seen a manufacturer advertise wheel horsepower instead of flywheel horsepower.

I thought rear wheel drive loses 10-15% power. Front wheel usually only loses 5-10% power loss due to having the drive lines directly hooked up to the tranny. So shouldnt it be better power to the wheels?

okay i think i've decided what i want to build tell me if this setup sounds good
b18c1 block 11.5.1 cp pistons 81mm bore
eagle h beam connecting rods
possibly b16 head a decent port and polish cleaning up the castings port matched to the IM
crower cams and their dual valve springs
skunk 2 IM polish the runners 69-70mm tb

would it be reccomended to get adjustable cam gears?
also i know i'll need to do an obd1 conversion to tune this setup whats a good tuning program thats easy to learn and use?

okay i really don't know anyone around my area of southwest virginia that does honda tuning where could i find someone to do this

okay i really don't know anyone around my area of southwest virginia that does honda tuning where could i find someone to do this

The internet is your friend. You may have to travel a few hours away, like some guys on here have done. Personally, I'm not sure I would want to drive my car to the tuner's instead of getting it towed, but that's my two cents. Good luck with your poor man's Type R build. :D

A stock map should get you a couple hours from your house if you take it easy. It isn't like it's a turbo build or anything.

Just put a stock B16 map in it with the extra displacement added. I can do that for you and send you the map. Then all you have to do is have it burnt.

Here's a stock bin with the added fuel for a 1.8l attached for ya. I just made that up in two seconds. It would be enough to get you to the tuner. BTW I made that in crome.

Attachments

• B16base1.8L.zip
    23.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Back