B16A2 head build....(prepare for some long wind)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

haha...thanks. It's been more of a matter of starting my second job and paying things off faster. A certain person around here will get MANY thanks at the end of this for MANY reasons as a lot of their car will be used in mine. haha

:ph34r::ph34r::D:ph34r::ph34r:

Will do and thanks. :D

This second job will do wonders in helping me complete my build, along with all of the patience that I have an the help and advice I have received from all of you, especially one of the best Type-R Hybrid baby makers in Texas. :D:ph34r::D

calesta is helping you, no?

Luis have you gotten any work done on your head yet...I am trying to research where to get work done at and I wanted to see if you have had yours done yet.

Not yet my friend. The place that I am going with, which is in South Carolina I believe, is taking bi-weekly payments from me. I'll tell you what, as far as the payment plan goes, it's been nice to have it because I am also paying off some parts that I am purchasing from someone at the same time as well.

What are you planning to do to yours, will it be for F/I or N/A and what components are you planning to use?

I am going to pick up a car this weekend that has a b16 in it, so I dont want to jinx the deal by talking about all the stuff I am going to do,until I make sure it runs...I am a little superstitious. I am however going to get a pnp and valve job, thats why I was wondering about yours. You arent that far from me so I thought you might know of some places here in the southeast. What place in SC are you talking about?

I totally understand and do, however; expect a FULL report on parts and plans when you get your ride. :D

I'm going to PM you the place and debut it on here once the head is done. After all, I have to be able to show that the work they do is good...which I am sure it will be. :D

Thanx and there will be a very detailed report on sunday with pics and everything if all goes well.

Im paying $800 for the car (if it runs). The guy sounded pretty cool on the phone so me and my friend are driving to check it out on saturday. Whats the progress on your engine, any new updates.

Check it out really well my friend. I would hate to see you be out $800.

The progress is progressing at the pace I figured it would progress at, but a little slower. haha

I ran into a few snags, so all that I have to show for it thus far are a sleeved GSR block to 85.5mm and an almost paid off Hondata S200 with all of the options on it.

There's a guy that has been holding a body kit since the beginning of the year for me, since we were never on the same schedule, who is coming down here on Saturday to deliver it. Unfortunately he is coming at the most inopportune time, as paying for this now is REALLY going to hurt. However, the kit is just beautiful. It's for my EG, by the way. A freakin' four door kit for the win! SWOOSH! :D

I may post pictures of it AFTER it is put on AND painted. :D

Hey Conan, thanks again for posting this the other day. I think I may have called you by your member name then accidentally too. haha Anywho, this is for anyone looking to figure out what A/R means as far as turbo's go and in what range different A/R's will help your build make power.

Turbo Size, A/R and Trim

Dear Luis, I've been researching everything i can so i can gain as much knowledge on Honda's as possible so i know what to start off with when the time comes. I've been following this thread for the passed 2 days and even have it bookmarked and I'd like to say thanks for having it up because i learned a lot from you, Blanco, and everyone else who has posted up and or answered a question. This thread has given me insight on the way i plan on doing my Honda once i get one =P. Keep up the great work and i can't wait to see how everything turns out =]

Thank you. I'm glad I can help others. By the way, I LOVE your member name. hahaha That's freakin' GREAT!

There are quite a few helpful people on this site. The key thing is to do as much research on your own as possible, then when you are ready to tackle a project, go into it with knowledge, rather than just asking everyone else what you should do. I have spent many hours reading thread after thread and searching on the web about my specific build. Guess what though? I don't have all of the answers and doubt I ever will. However, I have a vast knowledge on what I should and should not do as far as my personal build goes, and have learned a lot more about other things I did not know.

Now then, with that said, what are your plans for your future build? Oh, I must say that patience is also a virtue you should follow. Some will tell you that if you can't afford to do it all at once, you should not do it at all. Money does not grow on trees for myself as well as others, but it is my intention on getting the best parts for my build in order to make it the very best it can be. At times I am happy I do not have a lot of money, as it gives me time to compare parts to see what works and doesn't work as well together.

Patience and research my friend go hand in hand. Take your time, don't ever feel rushed as it is YOUR build, YOUR dream and YOUR goals you are fulfilling. *steps off his soap box* ^_^

B for president! :D

well my plans for the future are to get my parents (im 18 btw) to buy me a civic 92-98 4 door w/ or without an engine once i get out of summer school. until then i have been saving up money (close to $1000 so far) and I'm getting another job hopefully by next week and i plan on putting all my money towards my car since i don't have any outstanding things to pay off since i live with my parents =]. I hope on getting a b18c1 block and a b16a head keeping it all vtech then starting off the way you did, from the top =P. But if you or anyone could answer me, whats the best things to keep stock or OEM in the head and block if i want to get in the 350hp range, money isn't the most abundant thing i have >.< and yes it will be turbo'd. thanks.
-Conor

It sounds like you have some of your ducks in a row, Conor, as far as saving money and all, but one of your ducks just stubbed its toe. By the way VTECH is made for phones, VTEC is made for Hondas. :D

Now that we have that clarified, do you know and understand what needs to be done in order to set a car up properly in order to be able to handle that much power?

You've read my thread, correct? I am personally not keeping anything stock in the head. Heck, I will probably end up upgrading the LMA's to ITR's. As far as "stock" the valves are staying stock size, but are being replaced with after market ones.

Remember to take your time, do your research, don't misspend your funds and most important of all, follow your dreams. Just make sure you do it right the first time otherwise your engine will go boom.

Haha yes Vtech, i had a set of those cr@ppy phones and hated them >.< i guess drinking on the 4th of July took more of a toll on me than i thought =P. And yes i have read this whole thread and gone to every link ever put up, btw andrews engine swap thread IS like a bible of information so thank you for that =] and yes i completely understand everything that has to be done (well not completely understand what exactly needs to be done but i grasp the concept of how much there is to be done and i have ideas that i will keep researching and asking around for info on how those ideas would work out, kinda like how you did and are doing) as far as the head goes i will go almost if not all aftermarket. such as Eagle rods, ARP 2000 Head studs and rods, Cometic head gasket, GSR camshafts and do the rest of the valvetrain all Ferrea or Portflow, it just depends on what is cheaper at the time i buy but you see where i am going with this =P. I am also going to do as you did and hot tank it, and port and polish. Also is cryo-dipping worth it and why?. Thanks for the help, this newbie needs to learn as much as possible >.<

The Eagle rods go in the block, not the head. :D

Do you have any idea how much any of these parts will run you? *smirks* There's also the labor involved, which is not cheap.

I know but i thought Id mention them since i had the cams and valves in there =P, and yes i know how much this is going to run me believe me -.- every single cent i make is going towards my car and i want to go best first so nothing breaks in the long run, i mean i make about $200-$500 a weekend and i don't have anything i need to pay for cause i still live with my parents. I also plan on getting a second job as well. As far as labor goes i have a couple mechanic friends who are completely willing to help me in my effort, but i think i might just go down to maryland and work on it with my uncle down there. i honestly think he has more knowledge on engines than anyone else on the east coast (prolly not really but his life revolves around engines of all sorts, boat, car, truck, motorcycle, deisel and i would trust him with everything i would do to my car).

Back