B16a2 in 96 civic DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TsaWind

Hi my names Travis, I have a 1996 Honda Civic DX and I blew the stock engine in it, I believe I threw a rod.
Anywayz I have decided on a swap and I am putting in a B16a2, im getting it from HMotorsOnline.com because I know that they have quality engines and I know that all the parts are there and working. I may do additional work to the engine, 4-2-1 header, new valves, new pistons, build up the block, new rods, maybe even bore it out, but that will be a lot further down the road.

I have never done a swap before but I have friends that have seen them done and I have a 19yr old mechanic friend to help me with it. I have a shop and all of the tools for it here at my house, and I also have the thick 1996-2000 Civic Service Manual from Honda Motors.

I will have all of these parts, which is the motor unit of course:
- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S21, Y21)
- ECU (P30)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)

I believe I am going to get the LSD Tranny because I have heard good things about it, unless some-one else thinks otherwise?

But please if some1 has a list of the minimum things that I will need other than that, radiator?, trying to keep the cost down a little bit at least, I would love to know so I can have it all ready at the same time.

Thanks for the input

By the way my car has 140k miles on the body engine and tranny, body is in PERFECT shape, no rust at all with few scratches to the paint.

Hi, there's no need to make huge letters through the whole post, save it for emphasising your point

Anyway, read through the swap section, in the tech articles forum at the top of the main page. There is a lot of info there, and on the site in general, search around for a bit, and get some more specific issues reguarding your swap. :)

sorry for the big letters, I merly wanted to know what other parts I should get while I do the swap.

When you order your motor from HMO, tell Steve you need a OBD IIa motor and ECU from a 96-98, that way it all plugs right oin with no adapter harness' and other crap.

Replace timing belt, thermostat, and anything else that looks, or is typically worn out from possible abuse. change oil, plugs, etc... And I believe you need hte 99-00 Si radiator hoses, you radiator should be fine for cooling it.

Back